Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 165/65r14 Tire Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Would like to see a SWAG from you guys. All else being equal, how many more mpgs do you guess the Enasaves provide?

I'm thinking about it on a "average." Meaning, the website here says I'm averaging 42.6 mpg. If I were to magically switch to Kuhmos (for example), what would my new average be? 41.6 mpg? 40.6 mpg? 39.6 mpg?

I ask because I have only a guess. And my guess would be I would lose 2 mpg at most. But that's just a guess.

Would anyone care to guess, or state their observations?
    I haven't owned 4 identical tires for my Mirage since I lost Dunlop to a sidewall failure at 15,000 miles in 2018. Thus, I can't give you a real honest answer, because I am running two different pairs of tires all the time. I don't see that changing in the next 3+ years either.

I tend to run my Dunlop & Federal pairs together @ 40 psi. At that tire pressure I highly doubt there would be any difference, especially with both pairs being so worn down. I wouldn't doubt a new Dunlop may roll easier than a new Federal, Nexen, or Kumho tire, but tire pressure may be a factor to a point. I haven't seen a study showing over inflating does anything to improve fuel economy. So I don't see the need to go above recommendations on tire sidewalls, but I do ignore recommendations on car door stickers. Not saying that's best practice. I just like more air verses not enough air.

There's some science that proves/shows a wider tire will have less rolling resistance than a skinner tires, too. Bike tires for the Tour de France have gotten wider in recent years for that very reason. Without using pics - a wide short patch on the road may have less rolling resistance than a long narrow patch on the road surface. This would account for Top Fuel''s great economy numbers with wider 15" LRR tires. Along with LRR, bikers are getting a smoother ride from a slightly wider tire. I am not supporting these claims here, but anyone can check this for themselves.

I value the skinny tire, because I just know it's superior in snow. Especially, when climbing hills. I also like the tiny Mirage tires. It's part of the car's charm. Then again, I drove a car with 12" tires for 14 years, too.

I do think the Mirage should come with 175/65r14 & 185/55r15 factory tires, because these two sizes are an identical 23" in diameter. They are very common sizes, & almost all tire brands carry them!

If money is not an issue & you don't care how often you need to replace tires, 165/65r14 Dunlop & Bridgestone tires are the way to go. If you want more life out of your tire @ a much better price, I really feel Federal, Nexen, & Kumho are a good place to start. It's too bad the new Falken tire has a lower rating. Otherwise, I would include it in the mix, too. I am just glad we have a few more choices now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-10-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I somehow have 3 sets of the factory Dunlops. One set came on my 2017 which had about 1,800kms when purchased and those tires were removed immediately so snow tires could be mounted.

My second set was the same deal, I bought my brand new 2014 in late October and I had snows mounted immediately and the factory Dunlops got stored.

I have no memory how I acquired the 3rd set of Enesaves, but I checked and they're in the tire rack in my garage
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Would like to see a SWAG from you guys. All else being equal, how many more mpgs do you guess the Enasaves provide?

... my guess would be I would lose 2 mpg at most. But that's just a guess.

Would anyone care to guess, or state their observations?

To give you an idea, the tyre with the least roll resistance available in Europe as 165/65/14 from probably the largest seller, is classified as class B. This is a Continental ContiEcoContact 5. They stock no other that achieves class B or better in that size.
    see: https://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/...n&typ=R-394972

FYI the LRR Bridgestone Ecopia was stock on some Mirage and is rated class C.

The worst roll-rated from the same seller achieve class F, and a total of three make class F, but these are no bit cheaper to buy than class B. See:https://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/...=ALL&weiter=40

According to the English Wikipedia the difference between a set of tyres in class A to class G is about 9% mpg.
    See:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre_l...ing_resistance

The German Wikipedia quote this mpg difference as 5,51 – 6,85 % , see: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reifenlabel

In spite of these differences and no matter you calculate, the mpg difference between the best and worse LRR tyres adds up to more than the cost of a new set over the life of the tyres.

Just to mention it, my 1.0L MT with EcoContact5 tyres gets roughly 4,0L/100km which is about 59mpg US.

With the exception of maybe Romania and Bulgaria we do not have many potholes in Europe, so we do not suffer from blown sidewalls, bent rims, etc., and we run LRR tyres without fear.
    Last edited by foama; 06-11-2021 at 07:53 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (01-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post

In spite of these differences and no matter you calculate, the mpg difference between the best and worse LRR tyres adds up to more than the cost of a new set over the life of the tyres.

If you are comparing two different tires that have the same tread life, that may be true. If the LRR tires are 3 times the cost (but only have half or one third the tread life of the other tire), I would question their added value/cost.

You surely have more 165/65r14 tire choices than we do. Most tire companies here start with the 175/65r14 tire size & go up from there.

Top Fuel switched over lightweight 15" rims & a better quality 15" LRR tire. If he's getting 70,000+ miles out of those tires (which I believe he is), he can surely justify the added cost. No one can argue his mpg numbers are great, too!

Dunlop Enasave tires are priced quite high & don't wear all that well. The Bridgestone LRR alternative tire is rated even lower than the Dunlop, but some seem happier with them.

The current 2021 Mirage with 14" wheels are no longer being sold with a LRR tire. Maybe Mitsubishi should have lowered the Mirage's mpg rating in 2021?
    Last edited by Mark; 06-11-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like checking 165/65r14 tire prices from time to time.

The original factory 165/65r14 Dunlop Enasaves (2014-2020) have climbed to $186.99/tire (walmart.co, tire-rack.com, & tires-easy.com) & $236.99/tire (simpletire.com). I can't imagine paying $747.96 for a set of tires for a Mirage. That price doesn't include mounting & balancing either.

A few years ago, the 165/65r14 Federal SS657 tires were an affordable alternative. I remember them being as low as $37.50/tire @ Walmart. I haven't seen 165/65r14 Federal tires listed anywhere in over a year, & I sort of wondered what happened to them? I suspect this may be the reason that they disappeared?

"Taipei, June 16 (CNA) Taoyuan-based Federal Corp. will close one of its two factories in Taiwan, the company said Tuesday, citing the United States' attempt to impose high anti-dumping tariffs on Taiwanese tire vendors." June 16, 2021

Several diifferet tire brands (with 165/65r14 tires options) have appeared in recent years, but the Federal tires were a somewhat proven value.

My 165/65r14 Kumho (60,000 mile warranty) & Nexen (50,000 mile warranty) seem to be doing well.

Wonder if anyone has tried brands like Haida, Petlas, Landsail, Delinte, Zeetex, Accelera, Linglong, & a few others?

Personally, I feel more comfortable with the Kumho & Nexen tires in that price range, but I like hearing about other brands, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I like checking 165/65r14 tire prices from time to time.

The original factory 165/65r14 Dunlop Enasaves (2014-2020) have climbed to $186.99/tire (walmart.co, tire-rack.com, & tires-easy.com) & $236.99/tire (simpletire.com). I can't imagine paying $747.96 for a set of tires for a Mirage. That price doesn't include mounting & balancing either.

A few years ago, the 165/65r14 Federal SS657 tires were an affordable alternative. I remember them being as low as $37.50/tire @ Walmart. I haven't seen 165/65r14 Federal tires listed anywhere in over a year, & I sort of wondered what happened to them? I suspect this may be the reason that they disappeared?

"Taipei, June 16 (CNA) Taoyuan-based Federal Corp. will close one of its two factories in Taiwan, the company said Tuesday, citing the United States' attempt to impose high anti-dumping tariffs on Taiwanese tire vendors." June 16, 2021

Several diifferet tire brands (with 165/65r14 tires options) have appeared in recent years, but the Federal tires were a somewhat proven value.

My 165/65r14 Kumho (60,000 mile warranty) & Nexen (50,000 mile warranty) seem to be doing well.

Wonder if anyone has tried brands like Haida, Petlas, Landsail, Delinte, Zeetex, Accelera, Linglong, & a few others?

Personally, I feel more comfortable with the Kumho & Nexen tires in that price range, but I like hearing about other brands, too.
    I notice you're not mentioning Vredestein Quatrac 5. You had wanted to try them before. Have they been discontinued?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    I notice you're not mentioning Vredestein Quatrac 5. You had wanted to try them before. Have they been discontinued?

I still plan on buying a pair of Quatrac 5 tires.

Tire Rack still offers the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. They have gone up in price some (like most everything else). Tire Rack also offers a 165/65r14 Vredestein Snowtrac 5 tire now. The two 165/65r14 Vredestein tires are priced about the same. I am not listing their prices, because tire prices seem to change frequently.

Quatrac 5 tires are asymmetrical all-weather tires, & I want to see how they perform some day. I have never owned an asymmetrical tire. Vredestein Snowtrac 5 tires are directional snow tires.

I am not a big fan of directional tires, because they limit how you can rotate your tires. You can basically move them front or back, & that's about it (unless you want to remount them on their rims). An asymmetrical tire doesn't have that issue. They can be rotated like most other tires.

Having said that, most snow tires are now directional. My Nokian Nordman 7 tires are directional, and they have been holding up quite well these past 5 winters.

I came across a good deal on some new stock size tires from Quattro tires. A set of 4 Kumho Solus 4S HA32 shipped to my door, tax inc. is $352 cad. Then there's an $80 mail in rebate that makes them $68/tire all in. I bought the same set for my previous car when they also had a similar promo. https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/k...-4s-ha32/36613
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-16-2023),Mark (03-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Just thought I'd throw this tidbit in here. I just had my stock / OEM (165/65-14 Enasave) tars rotated. They all measured 5/32" @ ~28,000 miles. Per the spec's they start off at 9/32". I guess I'd replace them at 0/32". Ok, just kidding, I think they're posa be replaced at 2/32". However, if I'm completely honest, I generally ride them until I feel they're at risk of just letting air out ... or if I see cord wearing through. I can't help it.

So ... just for giggles, let's say I replace them at 1/32". That means I get 8/32's worth of wear. And I done done worned off 4/32". Suffice it to say, I appear to be at about half-life with them. Which means, maybe I'll go about 55k to 60k miles on these tars. Not bad. Flame suit on.

I wouldn't run them bald like that up in the great white north. But down here in Shangri-La, it ain't no thang.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 03-17-2023 at 07:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just thought I'd throw this tidbit in here. I just had my stock / OEM (165/65-14 Enasave) tars rotated. They all measured 5/32" @ ~28,000 miles. Per the spec's they start off at 9/32". I guess I'd replace them at 0/32". Ok, just kidding, I think they're posa be replaced at 2/32". However, if I'm completely honest, I generally ride them until I feel they're at risk of just letting air out ... or if I see cord wearing through. I can't help it.

So ... just for giggles, let's say I replace them at 1/32". That means I get 8/32's worth of wear. And I done done worned off 4/32". Suffice it to say, I appear to be at about half-life with them. Which means, maybe I'll go about 55k to 60k miles on these tars.

Not bad. Flame suit on.
    I used to be quite harsh on the Dunlop Enasave tires, but in the end they lasted longer than I expected. I'm not the best resource for mileage on tires.

I bought my Mirage in October of 2017, & I determined right away that the Enasaves were not going to get the job done during the winter months. I had a pair of new aftermarket steel rims & snow tires up front by mid-December. That following June I lost one to a side wall blow out. It happened to the rear driver's tire, & I saw no reason for this to happen. Thus, I was skeptical of the tires ever since.

I can honestly say now, one pair of Dunlop Enasave tires lasted longer than the pair of Federal SS657 tires I bought at the time. Back then, there were fewer choices & the Federal tires were about $40/tire (one third the cost of a Dunlop at the time). I still have the worn out Dunlop Enasave tires (one is in my spare wheel well spot). They did wear quite nicely, but I never trusted them. I started carrying a full size spare, because of my previous experience with them. I never lost a tire to a sidewall issue like that before.

I no longer think they are a crappy tire, but at $162/tire @ Walmart (today's price) I would pick something else. If someone gave me a set, however, I would gladly use them!