Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New foglights not working?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New foglights not working?

Hey everyone! I have a 2018 G4 ES. It did not come with foglights when I purchased it, but I wanted to install some. I went ahead and purchased some off eBay, and bought some bulbs for them at AutoZone. I enabled the foglight option in ETACS. Before, if I used the foglight switch nothing would happen, now the foglight dash light turns on when I turn the switch, so I know the car is picking up that I enabled them. But the lights themselves do not turn on. Is there anything else I need to do? Is the wiring for them not hooked up? I thought they would be connected since the wires are all wired in and set up in place for them, why won't they turn on? Anyone have any experience with this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's possible that there's a fuse or a relay missing.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So my first thought was the fuse, and i replaced it but still nothing. Relay though? Where would I check it? How would I fix or replace it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think you'll need to look in the relay box beside the battery in the engine compartment. There should be a legend on the bottom of the lid telling which spot the relay would be plugged in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    I think you'll need to look in the relay box beside the battery in the engine compartment. There should be a legend on the bottom of the lid telling which spot the relay would be plugged in.
    So I've already replaced the 15A fuse for the foglights, there's a relay in there I'd have to replace as well?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Since the fog lights didn't come with the car I would bet there isn't a relay installed in the socket, so you'd have to get one to put in. Somebody on the forum might know what style relay you would need.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Since the fog lights didn't come with the car I would bet there isn't a relay installed in the socket, so you'd have to get one to put in. Somebody on the forum might know what style relay you would need.
    Is it normal that it would come with the fuse, but not the relay? I guess that makes sense it doesn't come with it though. Is it something that's going to be simple for me to install? Plug and play? Or will I need a mechanic?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would check and see if there is a relay there first. The fuse may feed other things. If the relay isn't there I guess they left it out because it's more expensive than a fuse. If it's not there you could try swapping another relay like the Air Conditioner clutch relay temporarily just to see if the lights work then. Then you would know what relay you need to buy. They are fairly standard but the relay would have a manufacturers part number you could look up. If you aren't comfortable working with things like this you might need help from a mechanic but its pretty simple. Just plug in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gotta love the factory service manual. (I downloaded it from a link somewhere right here on this forum a long time ago, y'all should look for it.)

There is a Fog Light relay, it's in a plug called #A-08X.

Should be in a fuse/relay box under the hood on the driver's side fender towards the back. It's toward the front of that box in the middle, just in front of the high beam headlight relay.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, most fuses power more than just the one item listed on the cover. There is a relay too, specific to the fog light, check if it's there.

(blank signature)