Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why change your suspension?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I hear ya. While I haven't personally experienced the violent crashing off the bumpstops that you've described, I can see how someone would want to firm up the suspension. It's not changing the ride height, so it keeps the geometry as designed.

Too bad there aren't a whole lot of choices out there. That's why I experimented with some different springs from a junkyard - I was hoping to find something that I would consider a cheap, readily available improvement.
    I suspect that it is typically only you in your car. Add in 3 kids and a sack of dogfood and things get squirrely. And agreed. Its shocking to me that there STILL arent any options. And no plans to be. I asked every manufacturer at SEMA if they had plans and they said no way. And I asked for info like spring rates from BC and they argued with me that they didnt make anything for the Mirage and were shocked when I made them look it up on their own website. Its just frustrating.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    This^

I am the poorest welfare receiving looking person where I pick my kids up from the ridiculously priced and hard to get into "day camp"(daycare) that recently re opened for the summer. But it is fun watching people struggling, and curbing thousands of dollhair in rims each week trying to park their infiniti and lexus suv's lmfao. My kids were talking about how their friends parents drive a fancy car....well ours is paid for kids and dad likes camping and beer so I'd rather spend money on that than on a $70,000 over-sized stroller with an engine. But that's something poor people would say lol.

I'd like to buy an old, loud, oil leaking, smokey,rusty farm truck to roll up with and see how many snotty stuck up looks I get, especially at home! Note to self: build ugly 4 door sleeper.
    Kettle maybe?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark; 07-17-2020 at 02:27 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-17-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    I had a 2CV years ago, a car that wallowed on straight stretches of road like a camel on a sand dune. You could easily get sea sick on straight roads! Unless you've ridden one, you have no idea what a really soft suspension is like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_2CV

The Mirage has unusually soft suspension being exceedingly stiffer than a 2CV, but I like it as it is except for the rear bobbing up and down. The rear shocks could be a bit stronger. This country is developed such that the suspension has never bottomed out once in six years.

I haven't found any rear shocks on the market yet, except for KYB-Asia and the unwanted OEM Tociko sort.

Anyone found out where to get aftermarket shocks?
    Last edited by foama; 07-17-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Haven't found any aftermarket shocks, but I installed some helper springs yesterday (rubbing issues with 195 tires in the back) and that helped A LOT. 30 minutes of work (and €120) for a car that doesn't dip as soon as you go over a speed hump, worth it.

link: https://www.hulpverenshop.nl/a-28908...c/#description (it is dutch)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Kettle maybe?
    Absolutely! I imagine guys riding 30 year old Honda’s around think I’m a retard that owes a ton too. I’m good at being a hypocrite.

The more I see your post the more I realize I was talking about myself. First trip out with my sxs and it came home with a torn cv boot and scratches down both sides lmao. No regerts.
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-17-2020 at 10:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB201 View Post
    Haven't found any aftermarket shocks, but I installed some helper springs yesterday (rubbing issues with 195 tires in the back) and that helped A LOT. 30 minutes of work (and €120) for a car that doesn't dip as soon as you go over a speed hump, worth it.

link: https://www.hulpverenshop.nl/a-28908...c/#description (it is dutch)
    Hey JRB201 how are those helper springs installed? Got any pictures of the installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I’m good at being a hypocrite.
    We're all hypocrites if we look hard enough.

Thinking is hard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  88.5 KB
    They are just sortof screwed in. There are two caps which fit perfectly in the existing holes, and with some force you put the springs in.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JRB201 For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (07-17-2020),Fummins (07-17-2020),johane (08-13-2020),Top_Fuel (07-17-2020)

Well son of a *****! I have a full set of stock springs from my rzr in the garage I've been carrying around with me for almost 10 years now. They look pretty similar to those green ones. I may have to grow some ambition and see if I can make use of them already.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    . We're all hypocrites if we look hard enough.
    Most definitely - myself included!

"Takes one to know one" probably applies here?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB201 View Post
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  88.5 KB
    They are just sortof screwed in. There are two caps which fit perfectly in the existing holes, and with some force you put the springs in.
    If the need exist, I really like the concept of the inner helper springs!