United States
    Thanks
    That kind of stuff peeves me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Me too

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    ...the tax on this car seems to be about 15%, for some reason.
    I don't know if this is the explanation, but in Ohio you are taxed on rebates/incentives.

So if you buy a new car for $10K and it includes $5K worth of rebates, you pay sales tax on $15,000.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Yes. This particular '19 G4 is more heavily discounted than all of the others. It has a very low VIN and a low stock number, which to me suggests they have had it on their lot for a long time. Probably one of the first '19 G4s off of the boat. What I assume is their 'partner' dealership in Seattle has many unsold 2018 Mirage hatches as well. I use the term 'partner' because the pictures of their inventory have graphics for both dealerships. Between the two of them, there are about 20 2018-2019 Mirages and G4s on their lots.

If these are the kinds of tactics they use...vanishing discounts and obscene fees...I am not surprised they have so many unsold cars. They even have a new 2017 Outlander Sport with a 5-speed! They advertise it at about $12k, but it would probably wind up being $17k once they are done with all of their bullsh!t shenanigans.

Not saying $10,500 is a terrible cash deal for last year's G4, but certainly not what is advertised. These guys seem to be preying on the unsuspecting and people with bad credit, which, unfortunately, is exactly how Mitsubishi is stereotyped by car critics nowadays. To be fair, I was offered the car for $9,500 if I were to finance it through them.

Too early to write them off as sh!tweasels yet, but we will see if I hear back. I really would consider buying this car if they could get it near what they advertise it for. I am not trading anything in (plus $1,000) and am not military (plus $500), so I lose $1,500 in discounts off of their price. But I am financing (minus $1,000) and am a current Mitsubishi owner (minus $750), so that would give me another $1,750 in discounts.

If they were shooting me straight, I would get this car for LESS than they are advertising it for.
    I am not impressed by Mitsubishi & their network of dealerships. It's a shame, because I see the value of having a small car option like the Mirage available. My local Mitsubishi dealership is the most disgusting dealership that I have ever visited in my lifetime. I don't have high expectations for dealerships, but my local Mitsubishi dealership is horrible. They are vultures who prey on people with bad credit. If all dealerships were like this one, I would never buy a new car again. Personally, I don't want dealerships like these to flourish.

I am pretty confident that I could buy a new 2020 Mirage ES manual for about $10,500 OTD.

That includes -

$10,000 sale price of ES manual - $500 loyalty rebate = $9,500

$9,500 + approximately $1,000 in Wisconsin sales tax (5.5%), registration, doc. fee, & license =

$10,500 OTD

This OTD price may fluctuate a bit from time to time this summer, but it's the approximate price that I have been seeing for the most of this summer.

When I paid $9,299 in 2017, the Wisconsin tax, registration doc. fees, & license was approximately $855. Thus, I would expect this to remain under $1,000 in 2020.

Keep in mind - Since the 2017 Mirage update, Bluetooth (2018), backup camera (2018), 6-way adjustable driver's seat (2019), cruise (2019), & automatic climate controls (2020) have been added or brought back to the ES trim level.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes. This particular '19 G4 is more heavily discounted than all of the others. It has a very low VIN and a low stock number, which to me suggests they have had it on their lot for a long time. Probably one of the first '19 G4s off of the boat. What I assume is their 'partner' dealership in Seattle has many unsold 2018 Mirage hatches as well. I use the term 'partner' because the pictures of their inventory have graphics for both dealerships. Between the two of them, there are about 20 2018-2019 Mirages and G4s on their lots.

If these are the kinds of tactics they use...vanishing discounts and obscene fees...I am not surprised they have so many unsold cars. They even have a new 2017 Outlander Sport with a 5-speed! They advertise it at about $12k, but it would probably wind up being $17k once they are done with all of their bullsh!t shenanigans.

Not saying $10,500 is a terrible cash deal for last year's G4, but certainly not what is advertised. These guys seem to be preying on the unsuspecting and people with bad credit, which, unfortunately, is exactly how Mitsubishi is stereotyped by car critics nowadays. To be fair, I was offered the car for $9,500 if I were to finance it through them.

Too early to write them off as sh!tweasels yet, but we will see if I hear back. I really would consider buying this car if they could get it near what they advertise it for. I am not trading anything in (plus $1,000) and am not military (plus $500), so I lose $1,500 in discounts off of their price. But I am financing (minus $1,000) and am a current Mitsubishi owner (minus $750), so that would give me another $1,750 in discounts.

If they were shooting me straight, I would get this car for LESS than they are advertising it for.
    Cobra, I didn’t realize you live in Olympia! I lived in Everett/Marysville for quite a while, my father still works for Boeing in Everett and my uncle owns Blue Dog Garage up off Firetrail in Marysville. I miss living there, but it’s too dang expensive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I don't know if this is the explanation, but in Ohio you are taxed on rebates/incentives.

So if you buy a new car for $10K and it includes $5K worth of rebates, you pay sales tax on $15,000.
    I thought that might be the case, but the tax doesn't match what I would expect to see if the sales tax rate was being applied to MSRP, either. It falls between the proposed sale price and the MSRP, which is why it doesn't make sense.

Of course, the people of Everett voted themselves a huge Train-to-Nowhere tax a few years ago which may have something to do with it. But the car would be titled and registered in Olympia, so I am not sure how that works?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMfan92 View Post
    Cobra, I didn’t realize you live in Olympia! I lived in Everett/Marysville for quite a while, my father still works for Boeing in Everett and my uncle owns Blue Dog Garage up off Firetrail in Marysville. I miss living there, but it’s too dang expensive.
    I was wondering why somebody in SLC would be hip to Mirage prices in Everett, Washington! You got family considering a Mirage?

And you are right...it is very expensive to live around here. Only getting worse as people flee Seattle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was wondering why somebody in SLC would be hip to Mirage prices in Everett, Washington! You got family considering a Mirage?

And you are right...it is very expensive to live around here. Only getting worse as people flee Seattle.
    Unfortunately, I don’t. My mother moved to Florida last year and is on her second one, she had a 15 hatch and upgraded to a 19 G4, both manual, after the 15 started to experience heater core failure. My father and I don’t really speak. Long story.

Anyway. I’m just from the area is all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MCMfan92 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-24-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Thanks California! For also ruining Washington and Oregon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thanks California! For also ruining Washington and Oregon.
    And Utah.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MCMfan92 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-24-2020)