Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two Mirages for sale in SLC

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    So here is the latest write-up, along with their ad I am referencing for comparison to make this easier to follow.

The sales manager says the $4,633 discount in the ad for the car includes the $1,000 discount for financing the car through them. Fine, but it should have been itemized like it is for every other Mirage they have on the lot. But he says the other missing $1,000 in that discount is for a trade-in. There is already an itemized discount for a trade-in listed in the ad. So they applied that discount...twice. I am sure what they are doing here is just moving some of the value of your trade from one column to another.

Obviously, the $7,712 advertised price is a bunch of bullsh!t. But I might pop on the car at $8,700, which is still really cheap.

The tax was explained basically the way Top Fuel said it would be. I pay tax on the rebates. Fine, but the sales tax up there is a whopping 10.7%! Sucks for those guys, because it is levied on all cars purchased in that county. I was hoping it would be based on where the car is going to be titled/registered. Puts dealerships up there at a real disadvantage against dealerships only a few miles away.

The sales manager was pretty cagey about all of the fees, and I think it is deliberate. Normally, the $150 'doc fee' would cover the title application and registration/plates. It has on every car I have purchased, and it is actually not mandated. It's negotiable, and I insisted that it be waived when I bought my first Mirage. But on top of that is listed a 'title fee' of $25, PLUS a 'license fee' of $495! Why are there three obviously overlapping charges for doing only two things (title and registration)? Better than the $695 it was before, but I suspect this is pure profit for the dealership.

Working backwards from a $11,400 OTD price with a $2,000 down payment, we get a financed amount of about $9,400. If the payment they are offering is $240 for 48 months, that suggests an interest rate of about 11%! No freakin' way that is happening unless the loan terms allow for an early payoff with no penalty. My credit score is 750+. I am not going to pay an interest rate meant for somebody with 550 credit or somebody who was just released from prison.

Again, $11,400 OTD isn't a terrible price for a new G4. But nowhere near what is advertised.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I agree it's not a terrible price for a G4. I bought a Mirage in Minnesota. I paid Wisconsin sale tax on the agreed price for my county. Wisconsin sale tax is less than Minnesota. The transaction happened on my kitchen table when they delivered the car. I don't think where we did the paperwork made a difference in the sales tax, however.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-24-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree it's not a terrible price for a G4. I bought a Mirage in Minnesota. I paid Wisconsin sale tax on the agreed price for my county. Wisconsin sale tax is less than Minnesota. The transaction happened on my kitchen table when they delivered the car,. I don't think that made a difference in the tax, however.
    Yeah, if it were a 'clean' deal. There are still a lot of BS fees, plus high taxes at this dealership. I know I am not gonna beat the tax man, but I am put off by the redundant licensing fees. If I actually needed a replacement Mirage right now, they would certainly have my attention. This price is still better than any other dealer in the area.

But at 152,000 miles, my Mirage is barely broken in!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (07-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    But at 152,000 miles, my Mirage is barely broken in!
    Especially with a 5-speed manual transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    . Obviously, the $7,712 advertised price is a bunch of bullsh!t. But I might pop on the car at $8,700, which is still really cheap.
    How do they achieve their $7,712 price?

If the general public knew these cars can be had for $9,500-11,000 (manual or CVT) brand new, more people would take notice of them. Some car critics may do a better job of recognizing their value, too. I don't consider the 2020 ES trim level to be all that basic/standard any more.

If you can't live with steel wheels/hubcaps, those items can be changed. If someone can't live with a manual, you have the 3 other trim level options with alloy wheels. Since all 4 trim levels with a CVT have a MSRP price range of $2000, a person shouldn't be paying a lot more for a LE or SE especially.

Currently, a manual Mirage is the only vehicle that I would consider buying new from Mitsubishi, but I am not in the market for a vehicle. I bought a Mirage so that I wouldn't have to replace any vehicle for a long, long time.

Since owning my Mirage, it's taken care of approximately 90% of my transportation needs. I used my Forester/with trailer to help a friend purchase a sliding glass door and haul it home from Menards this week. After the carpenter installed it into the wall they cut out, I hauled away the wall debris leftover for her. I am hoping that my Mirage extends the life of my Forester by not racking up the miles on it for most other stuff.

I really like a Mirage for what it is, & for what it isn't!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-24-2020 at 04:19 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright...getting down to the nitty-gritty here. Sales manager says this is 'the best he can do'.

Man, $8,462 for a brand spankin' new manual trans G4! That is almost unbelievable for a new car...even a modest car from last year.

I told him after the last offer ($11,400 OTD) that I wanted to be at $9,500 OTD, thanked him for his time, and said if the rebates/inventory/incentives change to let me know. He then sent this offer for $10,300 OTD. I counter-offered $10,000 OTD, asked for a different color, and wanted the ETACS activation for the fog lights as part of the deal. I would be financing about $8,000 at around 3%.

We'll see how that goes. Don't need this car, but I can't pass it up! At that price, it can sit next to my house under a cover until I need it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Not too shabby. No worries about overpaying with that offer, and it's on paper so there's no weaseling around when it comes time to signing papers for the transaction.

My only concern is it's a G4. I mean, how are you going to park something that large in your driveway?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Not too shabby. No worries about overpaying with that offer, and it's on paper so there's no weaseling around when it comes time to signing papers for the transaction.

My only concern is it's a G4. I mean, how are you going to park something that large in your driveway?
    At this price, I can afford to have my driveway extended to accommodate that huge trunk!

My payment for 48 months would be about $175. Hell, a two-dollar hooker could afford that. Even if the factory rebates went back to Spring of 2016 levels it would be hard to beat this deal. The sales manager says the $2,250 factory rebate on the '19 G4s and the $750 Loyalty rebate may go away at the end of the month. But I doubt it. I don't see Mitsubishi taking away reasons to get people into dealerships.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At this price, I can afford to have my driveway extended to accommodate that huge trunk!

My payment for 48 months would be about $175. Hell, a two-dollar hooker could afford that. Even if the factory rebates went back to Spring of 2016 levels it would be hard to beat this deal. The sales manager says the $2,250 factory rebate on the '19 G4s and the $750 Loyalty rebate may go away at the end of the month. But I doubt it. I don't see Mitsubishi taking away reasons to get people into dealerships.
    You're looking @ $8,462/$16,095 = 52.58% of window sticker price. If the sales tax & license fees are appropriate for where you live, it's really hard to argue against this deal. The other small fees seem very appropriate.

I don't think that I would settle for a sedan, but that's just personal preference on my part. The only thing extra a 2020 G4 would give you is automatic climate controls. That's not something to pay extra for or hold out for in my mind. I would seek a 2019 over 2020, because I prefer manual climate controls. Of all the added standard features added since the updated 2017, I feel cruise added in 2019 is the best one.

You know all this stuff, but I just say these things for others reading this, too! Most slightly used Mirages are priced higher than this new one. If someone is in the market for a G4, this is a good deal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Meh... its a good deal, but for that money I would rather have Subcompact Culture's car.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)