Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage vs. Nissan Versa sedan

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Mitsubishi Mirage vs. Nissan Versa sedan

Mitsubishi Mirage vs. Nissan Versa:

The Mirage and Versa compete at the bottom end of the new car market in Canada & the US. Along with the Chevy Spark, they're the 3 cheapest new cars you can buy.

Price

The price really depends on what you're looking for. The Versa does start out cheaper if you go with the 5-speed. Bumping up to the automatic adds $1000. However, if you bump up to higher mpg rated CVT models, the price gap is nearly non-existent.

(US dollars...)

5-Speed Automatic CVT
    Mirage $12,995 - $13,995
    Versa $11,990 $12,990 $13,790

Fuel economy

Winner Mirage, hands down, with either transmission. You really have to go to a hybrid to beat the Mirage in this category.

5-Speed Automatic CVT
    Mirage 34/42/37 - 37/44/40
    Versa 27/36/30 26/35/30 31/40/35
    Ratings are city/highway/combined

Weight

Again, the Mirage is looking much more attractive in the weight category. It is hundreds of pounds lighter in either trim.

5-Speed Automatic CVT
    Mirage 1,973 - 2,029
    Versa 2,363 2,421 2,437

Power

This is where the Versa has the advantage. Its much larger 1.6L engine pumps out a good amount more horsepower.

Horsepower Weight / Power Ratio
    Mirage 74 26.7
    Versa 109 21.7
    Weight / Power is in lbs / horsepower.

Safety

Mirage - There are no NHTSA ratings for the Mirage yet. This will be updated when they become available.

Versa - The Versa achieved a 4/5 star rating on the NHTSA safety rating.

Passenger space

Despite being over two feet shorter (148.8in vs 175.4in), the Mirage's hatch still has more cargo volume! Interior passenger volume does go to the Versa by a little bit.

interor passenger volume cargo volume
    Mirage 86.1 17.2
    Versa 90.2 14.9
    Measurements are in cubic feet.

Warranty

The Mirage has a great warranty across the board. If you opt for the CVT equipped Versa, you get a longer warranty.

Warranty
    Mirage 10 year/100k
    Versa 5 year/60k, CVT has 10 year/120k

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-13-2017),Mikhail (12-27-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, Mirage has a better power to weight ratio

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nope, that is lbs / hp. So, each horsepower is lugging around more weight. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Here's what I don't get: the Nissan sells these sedans by the boatload in the US. It has been selling like crazy -- the best-selling subcompact -- basically ever since it came out. Like nearly 10,000 a month crazy (that's this year's average, so far). Or about 10 times more than the Mirage.

I have a sneaking suspicion a lot of these are being bought by fleets (rental cars). But still!

It's also been the cheapest new car available in the US since it came out.

What does that tell us? Americans really like cheap sedans!

I don't think we'll ever see GM doing a sedan version of the Spark. That would be too much small car competition in their line up (Sonic, Cruze). But given the way Americans seem to go for sedans over hatchbacks, given the choice, Mitsu has got to be seriously thinking about putting the Mirage sedan on the boat.

I've never driven a Versa. Anybody else?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Know what would be a good thing to add to the comparison? Fuel cost comparison over 1 year / 5 year / 10 years. Just for kicks.

Also, you have to buy the most expensive Versa trim to get the most efficient powertrain. But you can get the base Mirage + CVT and Bob's your uncle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I havnt driven a versa, but I drove a Sentra and it was really nice

The last Nissan I drove was a 15 year old pickup truck!

Here's a serious question though: how is it possible the base Versa is $1000 less than the base Mirage? Is there that much difference in standard equipment between them?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I've never driven a Versa. Anybody else?
    I didn't drive one, but looked at one on the lot. The build quality looked fine to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drove the last generation Versa over the course of a weekend and about 600 miles as a rental car. I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be a good road trip car. It felt substantial enough, had nice cushy padding in the armrests (although the new generation seems to have removed them), was gutsy enough to merge on the highway with some authority, and was extremely roomy and comfy. It's amazing how big the back seat is! The car just utterly lacked any character what-so-ever

It's no surprise that these sell so well. They're like the Big Mac of subcompacts; big portions of what you want at a bargain price. Who cares if some of the flavor is a little off? It's very fulfilling.

I imagine that it would be a better and more stable freeway cruiser than the Mirage given the extra power and weight. But the Versa, especially the new version in the silver that most seem to be in, just screams to the world that "I'm boring and given up on life!" At least the Mirage has some quirkiness and charm to it

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Nissan would come at a higher tax range in the NL because of the weight. So economically speaking it's a much expensive car to own and drive. But everything comes with a price of course, in this matter I think the Nissan a more comfortable car to drive than Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)