Thread: Rear brakes lube points.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rear brakes lube points.

Checked the rear brakes on my 2014 (68k miles) and shoes are at 2.8mm at its thinnest point. Drums are nice and smooth on the inside.
    Sprayed everything with brake clean and blew everything with compressed air.

Without removing the shoes which contact points can I lube? Sorry for the rookie question -- been a long time since I have to deal with drum brakes.

Also is it to advisable add anti seize on the hub nut to get the proper torque reading?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Shaft; 07-19-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Check the photos in this post. Cobrajet shows where he put some lube on some of the contact points on that backing plate. You might be able to pull on the shoes and get a little grease in there...but if not, don't sweat it. You don't want to get grease on the brake shoes.

As for the hub nut, if the threads are clean just put it back on and torque it as described here. That's a special "self-locking" nut and you probably don't want to use anything (like anti-seize) the might cause you to over-torque it.

When you come across fasteners that need to be torqued and you aren't sure if anti-seize will affect the torque required to tighten them, I will grab my tube of ARP Assembly Lube. This will provide some anti-seize function for you, but will not affect the torque rating of the fastener being tightened. But for your hub nuts, you are good just slapping them back on and torquing them properly.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-19-2020 at 11:58 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-20-2020),Daox (07-20-2020)