Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A/C and Radiator Fan died on same day.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    About 85 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Your compressor is not cycling at all right now...correct? Or have you jumped the AC clutch to force it on to get these pressure readings?

If the AC compressor is not running, the pressure in the system will equalize between the high and low sides. In other words, you should get the same pressure reading from the high and low side IF the compressor is not cycling.

Turn the engine off and let the car sit for 10 minutes. With the engine off, hook up your pressure gauge to the low side port (that's the only side you can read...correct?). What does the gauge read under these conditions?
    Ask a bunch of questions, get an answer to one.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    About 85 pounds
    Neat. I just checked one(don't ask why I bothered). It showed 82psi on the low side after sitting over the weekend.
    Edit: car was not running
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-04-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Harold (08-05-2020),Top_Fuel (08-04-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry, I was actually using the car as a delivery vehicle when I answered your question. It was the only one I knew the answer to at the time. The clutch would not engage. I did test the clutch and it makes a clicking sound when energized while the car is off. I am tempted to apply 3 volts to the center wire on the sensor to see if it will allow the clutch to engage.
    Thanks for your help.

When you engage the clutch and keep it engaged for a few seconds, what does the low side fitting show for pressure.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

And just to clarify (for the thread title): the normal cooling fan IS working? This is confirmed as just an AC problem, correct?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

I'd have to say so. And we're only on page 4 lol Title could probably be changed to "Ac doesn't work" or "ac doesn't work then I thought the fan didn't work either but it turns out it does so now just the ac doesn't work I guess".
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not sure if it can be done!😐

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update. I just got a set of gauges right off a slow boat from China. I checked both sides H and L. They both read 110 psi. I am going to try and engage the compressor and see what my readings are.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Harold For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-02-2020)

I wonder what ever happened to the op....?

I had to replace a rad fan on a 2017 Mirage last June. The fan melted off the motor. It started smoking again today. Driver said it made noise and smoke came out from under the hood. I drove up and the fan was loose and rubbing on the rad. I unplugged the fan and it was driven back to the shop a few blocks. Once it cooled down the fan looks fine...but it let out the smoke. I don't have any more 2017 cooling fans kicking around and for some reason the 17's have a 2 wire plug and the 2015's have a 4. The 15' has much thicker gauge wires than the 17'. I'm planning to just glue together the 2 pos and 2 neg leads on the 15' pigtail and splice them to the positive and negative leads that went to the old fan. Worst case something starts smoking...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-03-2022)

Well, I just finished jerry rigging a 2015 rad fan into a 2017 Mirage. So far it works. Kinda...

The 2015 fan has 2 grounds and 2 power wires. They are fed power through two separate relays. One circuit for low speed and the second circuit kicks in as well to give high speed..

The 2017 Fan has one power and one ground wire. I assumed the voltage is varried to change the speeds. I also assumed that if I just connected both circuits of the 2015 fan then it would hopefully work properly on the 2017? I tested both high and low speeds with the scan tool and it seems like both settings give the same high speed....I'll go road test it and see if it catches fire or starts lighting up the dash with random warning lights before calling it good.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-03-2022),inuvik (03-04-2022),Top_Fuel (03-03-2022)