Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A/C and Radiator Fan died on same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Will the AC compressor turn on if the refrigerant is low?
    Not if it's too low. Usually when they start to get low on refrigerant they'll cycle on and off rapidly then eventually not have enough pressure to kick in the switch.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think I have one kicking around. Thanks for your help.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update. I put my wiring back together (took off the manual switch for cooling fan). I monitored the temperature, once the car would reach about 96C the fan did come on. My AC still does not work. I did test the clutch and it can be turned on manually by putting a positive voltage to the wire coming from the compressor. I now suspect it may be the high pressure side sensor. Is there a way to test if it is the switch? There are three connections to the sensor.

Have you check to see if you have pressure in the system yet. It’s kinda sorta like the first step to do here. So far everything has been done for no reason.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I only had a low side gauge. It shows 23 pounds or so on the low side. I checked the voltage to the sensor. 5 volts between wire one and three. The middle wire only shows 80mv

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    ... also, I pushed the needle on the schrader valve on the high side, it sprayed quite a bit of cold stuff.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Of course I was looking at the wrong scale on the gauge. It actually is about 85 pounds.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I'm having trouble following what system pressures you are measuring...and under what conditions. So I will just throw the service manual pages up here.

Here are the conditions that power the compressor ON...

Name:  ac_on.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  92.4 KB

And here's how to interpret the signal output voltage from the AC Pressure Sensor...

Name:  pressure_sensor.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  93.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The pin number 2 measured only 80mv. I only have a low pressure side gauge. It measured around 85 psi. I need to get a gauge set so I can measure the high side, where the sensor is located. Based on what you have there it seems that the range for the high side is between 27 psi to 341 psi. Am I reading that right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Your compressor is not cycling at all right now...correct? Or have you jumped the AC clutch to force it on to get these pressure readings?

If the AC compressor is not running, the pressure in the system will equalize between the high and low sides. In other words, you should get the same pressure reading from the high and low side IF the compressor is not cycling.

Turn the engine off and let the car sit for 10 minutes. With the engine off, hook up your pressure gauge to the low side port (that's the only side you can read...correct?). What does the gauge read under these conditions?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)