Thread: Fixing a small dent on rear bumper

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Fixing a small dent on rear bumper

Hi everyone, I just got my 2019 Space Star new two weeks ago and it has been working great and I've driven it around 600km so far (200km of this was on the trip home from picking it up). I really love this little car, it has everything I need.

Today I washed it for the first time and upon doing so I noticed a small dent in the bottom right of the rear bumper. I think it happened while it was parked outside a few days ago during a very strong storm that resulted in some decent-sized hail falling for about 10 minutes. I checked it the following morning and didn't find any damage, but the bumper dent is small enough that I could have missed it. Or someone hit me while I was parked in the the garage or on the street.

I know cars will get dents, dings, and scratches during their lifetime (my old car had plenty) and this dent isn't that noticeable. But, this is my first new car in over 20 years and I had it barely for two weeks and it already has its first battle scar. It's a little bit of a bummer.

I've attached some photos of the dent - would this be possible to fix/pop out? I'm thinking I could, but it almost looks like the plastic was compressed/melted so I'm not sure if there is a DIY that would work. I intend on keeping this car for a long time and would rather not make an insurance claim so soon, so if anyone has any recommendations for a fix I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Name:  SS-dent-2.jpg
Views: 3495
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  SS-dent-1.jpg
Views: 2602
Size:  70.9 KB

Last edited by Acronychal; 07-23-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Use a hair dryer or boil some water to heat the area and when it is more pliable pop the dent out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Acronychal (07-24-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Use a hair dryer or boil some water to heat the area and when it is more pliable pop the dent out.
    Wish fixing dents in the metal parts was that easy!

I have a ding in my door and the few PDR places I called said they probably couldn't fix it as it was behind the door impact beam, making repair difficult.

Anyone seen the inside of the door panels on the Mirage to know if that is true?
    Last edited by javensbukan; 07-23-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Have a look in YeePay or some other online place for a "dent repair kit". They are quite inexpensive and actually make a big difference on dents and dings in metal.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Have a look in YeePay or some other online place for a "dent repair kit". They are quite inexpensive and actually make a big difference on dents and dings in metal.
    Funny you should mention that, I actually tried to order a kit online, but they only sent me the parts that actually mount on the metal of the car, not the actual "puller" device.

That being said, was going to try with just a pair of pliers manually and see what happens... what do you think?

Name:  IMG_0325 (1).jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0206 (1).jpg
Views: 1841
Size:  106.2 KB

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    @javensbukan:
    I would get the the kit first, then do the job!
    Some of those puller attachments are meant to be glued on, and some may use a suction cup. Don't worry about the glue, if you stick to instructions it will come off...
    Even with a good kit, this can easily be a few hours work.
    Last edited by foama; 07-24-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! I will try the heat method and see if I can pop it out. It is right at the bottom corner of the bumper so I should be able to reach up in there. Even if it doesn't work, the dent isn't too noticeable...I just wish the car lasted more than 2 weeks before it met its first dent.

Javensbukan, I hope you can get the dent out of your door!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I highly recommend one of these, cheaper than the smallest dent...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Ruckfahrwarn...8AAOSwr9ResTlj
    Last edited by foama; 07-26-2020 at 07:06 AM.

Acronychal, I've successfully used heat (heat gun / paint stripper, like a very hot hair dryer) to remove a similar small dent from a relative's plastic bumper before.

Good luck - let us know how it goes!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)