Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serpentine belt shredded

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Serpentine belt shredded

I just took my mirage in to get the oil changed. When they did their complementary inspection they found my belts inner rib was completely detached, wrapped around a pulley and the center was so soft I could stick my finger nail through it. The dealership replaced the belt, but didn’t do anything else. My car has 17xxx miles on it and I bought it in December brand new. I was wondering if anybody else had these symptoms on here and how it was resolved. Thank you in advance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DDGOTT View Post
    I just took my mirage in to get the oil changed. When they did their complementary inspection they found my belts inner rib was completely detached, wrapped around a pulley and the center was so soft I could stick my finger nail through it. The dealership replaced the belt, but didn’t do anything else. My car has 17xxx miles on it and I bought it in December brand new. I was wondering if anybody else had these symptoms on here and how it was resolved. Thank you in advance.
    Hello DDGOTT and welcome to the forum.

First I've heard of such a thing. How would the belt not fall off if the inner rib was completely detached and wrapped around a pulley? I sure hope you have pictures of this.

And sorry that it happened to you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if someone spilled oil on the belt sometime?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did not get a picture, it was replaced under warranty and I assumed that they would fix the corresponding problem. The inner most rib of the five rib serpentine belt was completely separated from the rest of the belt and wrapped around a pulley. When I questioned them about what caused this they said they did not know, but 4 different mirages had the same problem including one that was on its third belt.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Are they overtightening the belt? Maybe Mitsubishi changed suppliers and this is the result.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do not know if oil was spilled on the belt, but have had every oil change except for one done at a dealership. I bring in my own oil and filter so they charge me 10 dollars and do an inspection on tires, belts, filters, lights etc

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do not know the exact specs on the belts tightness, but it is tighter than my ford windstarÂ’s and my SilveradoÂ’s belts respectively. However those two vehicles have exponentially more miles on them.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Sounds like the belt was mounted crooked!
    It must run straight on the pulleys and not have a sideways bend. It will not be straight if it was mounted one groove off to the side.
    Last edited by foama; 07-24-2020 at 07:15 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Sounds like the belt was mounted crooked!
    It must run straight on the pulleys and not have a sideways bend. It will not be straight if it was mounted one groove off to the side.
    This is my guess as well. I suspect when the belt was put on at the factory it was installed incorrectly, and it took the belt this long to disintegrate.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hope that is all that was wrong with it, but I wonder about the other 4 mirages from this dealership that are experiencing this problem. The lead mechanic had said something about a TSB mentioning alternator pulley, but said he got file not found error when clicking on it.