Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Fumoto Drain valve install and first oil change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question RE: Fumoto Drain valve install and first oil change.

Bought my car a month and a half ago with 65 miles and now has 3267!!!...crazy. l know how to remove the filter and install the drain valve, but does anyone know how many lbs to torque the drain valve to so l don't over-torque/strip it? l'm looking through the manual and don't see anything, but l could be blind...

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Never-mind, found the thread...32ft lbs of torque...or until l can't tighten it anymore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Have you attempted to remove the oil filter yet? If this is the oil filter that came on the car from the factory, removing it will be the most challenging part of your oil change process. They really crank them on at the factory...and apparently they don't believe in using any oil on the gasket when they do so. As a result the original oil filter will require quite a bit of leverage to be removed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-24-2020),MirageRally (07-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not yet, doing the oil change this weekend-got an oil filter clamps if l run into problems..."and apparently they don't believe in using any oil on the gasket when they do so"...wha-blasphemy! Haha, yeah it may take a few "choice words" but l'll get it off...ironically l don't swear...but we'll see after l'm done lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hey MirageRally - Sunnyside did my first oil change. You might want to let them wrestle with that filter. Other forum members have reported crushing the factory filter can trying to get it off, resorting to punching it with a screwdriver to get enough leverage to loosen it. It's a messy job.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (07-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey MirageRally - Sunnyside did my first oil change. You might want to let them wrestle with that filter.
    l'm already overdue for my free oil change, plus driving an hour out there...we'll see...l'll call them tomorrow and see if l can get in, but l see your point...also, are you going to the Geopalooza at Johnny Mullets place August 8? l'm going

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    l'm already overdue for my free oil change, plus driving an hour out there...we'll see...l'll call them tomorrow and see if l can get in, but l see your point...
    I don't think you are overdue with under 4,000 miles on your odometer, so I see no hurry from here.

also, are you going to the Geopalooza at Johnny Mullets place August 8? l'm going
    I have no plans for that, first I've heard of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (07-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I don't think you are overdue with under 4,000 miles on your odometer, so I see no hurry from here.

I have no plans for that, first I've heard of it.
    lt's primarily a Geo Metro meet, but l know he's urged Mirage owners to attend in the past.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Bought my car a month and a half ago with 65 miles and now has 3267!!!...crazy. l know how to remove the filter and install the drain valve, but does anyone know how many lbs to torque the drain valve to so l don't over-torque/strip it? l'm looking through the manual and don't see anything, but l could be blind...
    Since you want to install your drain valve, I understand your desire to do your first oil change. If you have the dealer do your first oil change, they may not be interested in adding your new drain valve. It wouldn't hurt to ask, however. You can add the drain valve another time, too.

I do my own oil changes. The factory oil filter was cranked on quite tight, but I got it off with an oil filter socket (65 mm & 14 flutes) & 3/8" ratchet drive. I have both a plastic & metal oil filter socket in that size. The plastic one could not remove the factory oil filter. It took the metal one to get it off.

I don't know what oil change interval you are planning to do with your Mirage, but I see nothing wrong with doing the first oil change sooner rather than later with a new engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool UPDATE: Everything's good.

Did my oil change with 0w-20 Valvoline advanced Full Synthetic with a Fram oil filter...when l adjusted the oil filter l almost punctured through the filter...started it up and runs fine, No leaks, but will be monitoring it over the next week to be sure...Stock filter was a breeze to get off...putting the new one on was a pain...also installed the fumoto drain plug...rotated it to the side up under the pan in case of debris from the road hits it...result=happy