Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Fumoto Drain valve install and first oil change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Nice. Now let's see your pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (07-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice. Now let's see your pictures.
    Sorry for the bad quality as l took these on my smartwatch and am getting a smartphone in the next 3 weeks so l'll be able to take better pictures

Name:  IMG_20200725_133520.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  100.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200725_133421.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  102.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200725_133413.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  100.9 KB
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Did my oil change with 0w-20 Valvoline advanced Full Synthetic with a Fram oil filter...when l adjusted the oil filter l almost punctured through the filter...started it up and runs fine, No leaks, but will be monitoring it over the next week to be sure...Stock filter was a breeze to get off...putting the new one on was a pain...also installed the fumoto drain plug...rotated it to the side up under the pan in case of debris from the road hits it...result=happy
    I am glad it went well overall.

Most will say that you should only hand tighten an oil filter, but I find that very hard to do with a Mirage from the top. There isn't enough room for me to get a good grip on the filter with my hand & crank on it. I like changing the oil filter on my Mirage while standing rather than from below on my back. It can be done either way, however. If I had a better lift, I would do it from below maybe?

I am not sure what difficulty you were having exactly with the oil filter installation, but this is what I do -

I reach around both sides of the radiator hose with the filter in one of my hands. That allows both hands to help manipulate or start the filter on the threads. Once I get it threaded, I use both hands (more like fingertips) to spin it on. Once it's snug, I turn it about a 1/4 turn (like recommended) with the correct oil filter socket/small 3/8" ratchet. Next time you are various stores that carry automotive parts, I would look for a 65 mm oil filter socket. You could test the oil filter socket by using an oil filter for a Mirage on the store self, too. It's not a high cost item, & you could order one on line, too.

I sort of like this style best -

https://www.amazon.com/65mm-Flutes-F.../dp/B07FM487Q1

I have these type, & they are ok, too -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steelman...6123/205638029

I didn't shop around for best price here. I just looked up pics of the two type that I like. You can pick these up in stores for a better price than the ones listed here. I believe my Walmart has them in stock, too.

Given the lack of space, an oil filter socket works best for me. It's just a suggestion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (07-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am glad it went well overall.

Most will say that you should only hand tighten an oil filter, but I find that very hard to do with a Mirage from the top. There isn't enough room for me to get a good grip on the filter with my hand & crank on it. I like changing the oil filter on my Mirage while standing rather than from below on my back. It can be done either way, however. If I had a better lift, I would do it from below maybe?

I am not sure what difficulty you were having exactly with the oil filter installation, but this is what I do -

I reach around both sides of the radiator hose with the filter in one of my hands. That allows both hands to help manipulate or start the filter on the threads. Once I get it threaded, I use both hands (more like fingertips) to spin it on. Once it's snug, I turn it about a 1/4 turn (like recommended) with the correct oil filter socket/small 3/8" ratchet. Next time you are various stores that carry automotive parts, I would look for a 65 mm oil filter socket. You could test the oil filter socket by using an oil filter for a Mirage on the store self, too. It's not a high cost item, & you could order one on line, too.

I sort of like this style best -

https://www.amazon.com/65mm-Flutes-F.../dp/B07FM487Q1

I have these type, & they are ok, too -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steelman...6123/205638029

I didn't shop around for best price here. I just looked up pics of the two type that I like. You can pick these up in stores for a better price than the ones listed here. I believe my Walmart has them in stock, too.

Given the lack of space, an oil filter socket works best for me. It's just a suggestion.
    Yeah, l didn't have two hands on it so it took awhile to get on. Also the cheap 5$ oil filter socket worked well on the stock filter...but not putting the Fram filter on bc it has abrasive coating so l had to hand tighten it, l bought the one on ebay someone requested that's heavy duty...Thanks l'll make sure to take your advice next oil change...hopefully it won't be for a while lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also Mark, if you zoom in on my first pic-you can see tiny silver dots, those dots are from using my oil filter clamps to tighten the Fram filter and it took some paint off of the filter, but thankfully didn't puncture it...but like l said before l'm going to monitor it just in case...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, l didn't have two hands on it so it took awhile to get on. Also the cheap 5$ oil filter socket worked well on the stock filter...but not putting the Fram filter on bc it has abrasive coating so l had to hand tighten it, l bought the one on ebay someone requested that's heavy duty...Thanks l'll make sure to take your advice next oil change...hopefully it won't be for a while lol.
    If I used a Fram oil filter, I would use their Tough Guard or Ultra Synthetic oil filters on my Mirage. I believe they have the extra coating on the end, too. I used the cheaper Fram oil filters for decades without issue on other vehicles, but that was back when 3,000 mile oil changes were the norm. Now that I am doing slightly longer interval oil changes, I don't mind spending a bit more for a mid-priced, slightly better quality oil filter. I am not saying there is anything wrong with their basic filter. Some guys bash them, but I don't think they are horrible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I used a Fram oil filter, I would use their Tough Guard or Ultra Synthetic oil filters on my Mirage. I believe they have the extra coating on the end, too. I used the cheaper Fram oil filters for decades without issue on other vehicles, but that was back when 3,000 mile oil changes were the norm. Now that I am doing slightly longer interval oil changes, I don't mind spending a bit more for a mid-priced, slightly better quality oil filter.
    That's what l have on mine Tough Guard with abrasive coating.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also Mark, if you zoom in on my first pic-you can see tiny silver dots, those dots are from using my oil filter clamps to tighten the Fram filter and it took some paint off of the filter, but thankfully didn't puncture it...but like l said before l'm going to monitor it just in case...
    I had to use a large pipe wrench to remove an oil filter on my Kawasaki Mule this spring. Some idiot put the last one on to tight! The oil filter didn't look to good after it was removed.

FYI - I am the only one who has changed the oil in my Mule. That makes me the idiot!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what l have on mine Tough Guard with abrasive coating.
    Sorry, those are decent filters! Tough guards are usually gold color not orange, but I may not be seeing it correctly. Sorry about that!

Most places have the Extra Guard, Tough Guard, & Ultra Synthetic on stock for a Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry, those are decent filters! Tough guards are usually gold color not orange, but I may not be seeing it correctly. Sorry about that!
    It's all good And guess what? That hesitation from 1st to 2nd l mentioned before? lt's gone either the full synthetic oil fixed the shifting problem or the wear materials are finally gone...either way...very happy

Last edited by Eggman; 07-26-2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Fixed BB Code for quotation