Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From weekend "dog" car to family "truckster"

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why? Is there something wrong with the automatic engine shutoff feature?
    Sorry to interject randomly here, just my friend has a 2020 Jeep, with the auto-off feature, and he says it's super annoying. Even before we got on the topic, I had noticed his small SUV shutting on and off and on and off, like 3 times when we were both at burger king. And that was AFTER going through the drive in. Shuts off at every stop sign.

I think auto off feature would wear out starters much faster?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Sorry to interject randomly here, just my friend has a 2020 Jeep, with the auto-off feature, and he says it's super annoying. Even before we got on the topic, I had noticed his small SUV shutting on and off and on and off, like 3 times when we were both at burger king. And that was AFTER going through the drive in. Shuts off at every stop sign.
    I don't disagree that the engine shutting off might get annoying, it can take a while to get used to I suppose. I get annoyed sitting at a stop burning gas for no good reason, so there's that.

Oh, the painful discomforts of our lives.

I think auto off feature would wear out starters much faster?
    The starter gets used more no doubt. How many starters have you replaced on your Mirage? I haven't replaced mine. Fummins has replaced brushes on some of his.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My friend says you can turn auto-off off, but every time you start your car the next time, you have to go into the settings again, and reset your preferences. Just another example of over-complicating cars. And for more stuff to go wrong. Seems like bad engineering, without much thought of living with it.

If Jeeps got 40 MPG without having to shut off, they wouldn't need auto shut off in the first place. You can't save your cake and eat it too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    My friend says you can turn auto-off off, but every time you start your car the next time, you have to go into the settings again, and reset your preferences. Just another example of over-complicating cars. And for more stuff to go wrong. Seems like bad engineering, without much thought of living with it.

If Jeeps got 40 MPG without having to shut off, they wouldn't need auto shut off in the first place. You can't save your cake and eat it too.
    But if that 40mpg can be improved by not wasting fuel sitting still, that is a good thing.

I sometimes shut my engine off when I know I'll be sitting still for a bit. The problem is it causes problems with the radio. For example while listening to the radio, the radio will shut off and turn back on playing whatever program broadcast it's tuned to. If listening to a file on the USB port the radio takes a long time to initialize and get back to whatever it was playing before. I would hope that Auto Start & Stop takes care of that, but I don't know since I don't have it.

I wish I could enable it on my Mirage, but I understand it takes a larger alternator and battery.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Man thats way too soon for a transmission to be going out. Maybe Mitsubishi does make unreliable vehicles?
    Mark, I thought Dirk overcame his CVT anxiety

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    Mark, I thought Dirk overcame his CVT anxiety
    I can be wrong about some things! Sorry!