Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From weekend "dog" car to family "truckster"

Country
    United States
    Thanks

From weekend "dog" car to family "truckster"

Sadly, I retired my 2010 Outlander this week. It was my main transportation and used to shuttle my 3 year old to daycare. I never drove her in the Mirage as me and my wife thought it was too unsafe. Though currently employed, with all of the economic uncertainty we think it's best to hold off on buying a replacement, so the Mirage has moved up into the primary role. So far so good! It is a manual and drives just fine. I tested a Hyundai Venue and my wife says the Mirage is more comfortable. My daughter barely notices the change and I am really liking the gas savings.

When the economic outlook clears, I have my eye on the Kia Seltos, but before then the Mirage will see full time use.
    Name:  IMG_20171211_124037.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  97.9 KBName:  IMG_20190612_055849.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  97.4 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What happened to the 2010? Still running?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What happened to the 2010? Still running?
    A bearing in the trans was going bad and kept getting louder and louder. Part had to come from Japan, was $800 and would take 2.5 months to arrive. I could of searched junkyards, but with used car prices so high, I thought I'd unload it while it still ran. I will see if there is a new stimulus for car sales coming up, or at the least wait till the end of the year to get it's replacement. Looking at the Kia Seltos or Mazda CX- 5/9.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1972 View Post
    A bearing in the trans was going bad and kept getting louder and louder. Part had to come from Japan, was $800 and would take 2.5 months to arrive. I could of searched junkyards, but with used car prices so high, I thought I'd unload it while it still ran. I will see if there is a new stimulus for car sales coming up, or at the least wait till the end of the year to get it's replacement. Looking at the Kia Seltos or Mazda CX- 5/9.
    How many miles before the trans went bad?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How many miles before the trans went bad?
    141,000 miles.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Man thats way too soon for a transmission to be going out. Maybe Mitsubishi does make unreliable vehicles?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Man thats way too soon for a transmission to be going out. Maybe Mitsubishi does make unreliable vehicles?
    It was a Jatco, I could have probably tried harder to find the part, but I drive a lot and the 23 MPG adds up. I'll be saving at least $100 in gas per month.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    If I had to settle for a non-manual vehicle, I would look hard @ Mazda. The main reason -

"Mazda does not now offer a CVT, nor do they have any plans to offer one, according to the (several) auto industry journalists and pundits I've read and heard from on the subject. SkyActiv combines non-traditional engine cycle technology with the best conventional automatic transmission Mazda can make."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I had to settle for a non-manual vehicle, I would look hard @ Mazda. The main reason -

"Mazda does not now offer a CVT, nor do they have any plans to offer one, according to the (several) auto industry journalists and pundits I've read and heard from on the subject. SkyActiv combines non-traditional engine cycle technology with the best conventional automatic transmission Mazda can make."
    I love the Seltos' form factor, but hate that it only comes in a CVT or DCT. Any opinion on the Mazda Turbo vs. their NA engines? My coworker just got a CX-5 I was thrilled that it did't have auto-engine shutoff at stops.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My coworker just got a CX-5 I was thrilled that it did't have auto-engine shutoff at stops.
    Why? Is there something wrong with the automatic engine shutoff feature?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)