Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: From weekend "dog" car to family "truckster"

  1. #1
    Member roscoe1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 27 Posts

    From weekend "dog" car to family "truckster"

    Sadly, I retired my 2010 Outlander this week. It was my main transportation and used to shuttle my 3 year old to daycare. I never drove her in the Mirage as me and my wife thought it was too unsafe. Though currently employed, with all of the economic uncertainty we think it's best to hold off on buying a replacement, so the Mirage has moved up into the primary role. So far so good! It is a manual and drives just fine. I tested a Hyundai Venue and my wife says the Mirage is more comfortable. My daughter barely notices the change and I am really liking the gas savings.

    When the economic outlook clears, I have my eye on the Kia Seltos, but before then the Mirage will see full time use.
    Name:  IMG_20171211_124037.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  97.9 KBName:  IMG_20190612_055849.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  97.4 KB



  2. #2
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    2,599
    Thanks
    871
    Thanked 368 Times in 307 Posts
    What happened to the 2010? Still running?

  3. #3
    Member roscoe1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What happened to the 2010? Still running?
    A bearing in the trans was going bad and kept getting louder and louder. Part had to come from Japan, was $800 and would take 2.5 months to arrive. I could of searched junkyards, but with used car prices so high, I thought I'd unload it while it still ran. I will see if there is a new stimulus for car sales coming up, or at the least wait till the end of the year to get it's replacement. Looking at the Kia Seltos or Mazda CX- 5/9.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    2,599
    Thanks
    871
    Thanked 368 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1972 View Post
    A bearing in the trans was going bad and kept getting louder and louder. Part had to come from Japan, was $800 and would take 2.5 months to arrive. I could of searched junkyards, but with used car prices so high, I thought I'd unload it while it still ran. I will see if there is a new stimulus for car sales coming up, or at the least wait till the end of the year to get it's replacement. Looking at the Kia Seltos or Mazda CX- 5/9.
    How many miles before the trans went bad?

  5. #5
    Member roscoe1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How many miles before the trans went bad?
    141,000 miles.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    2,599
    Thanks
    871
    Thanked 368 Times in 307 Posts
    Man thats way too soon for a transmission to be going out. Maybe Mitsubishi does make unreliable vehicles?

  7. #7
    Member roscoe1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Man thats way too soon for a transmission to be going out. Maybe Mitsubishi does make unreliable vehicles?
    It was a Jatco, I could have probably tried harder to find the part, but I drive a lot and the 23 MPG adds up. I'll be saving at least $100 in gas per month.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,180
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 984 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1972 View Post
    A bearing in the trans was going bad and kept getting louder and louder. Part had to come from Japan, was $800 and would take 2.5 months to arrive. I could of searched junkyards, but with used car prices so high, I thought I'd unload it while it still ran. I will see if there is a new stimulus for car sales coming up, or at the least wait till the end of the year to get it's replacement. Looking at the Kia Seltos or Mazda CX- 5/9.
    If I had to settle for a non-manual vehicle, I would look hard @ Mazda. The main reason -

    "Mazda does not now offer a CVT, nor do they have any plans to offer one, according to the (several) auto industry journalists and pundits I've read and heard from on the subject. SkyActiv combines non-traditional engine cycle technology with the best conventional automatic transmission Mazda can make."

  9. #9
    Member roscoe1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I had to settle for a non-manual vehicle, I would look hard @ Mazda. The main reason -

    "Mazda does not now offer a CVT, nor do they have any plans to offer one, according to the (several) auto industry journalists and pundits I've read and heard from on the subject. SkyActiv combines non-traditional engine cycle technology with the best conventional automatic transmission Mazda can make."
    I love the Seltos' form factor, but hate that it only comes in a CVT or DCT. Any opinion on the Mazda Turbo vs. their NA engines? My coworker just got a CX-5 I was thrilled that it did't have auto-engine shutoff at stops.

  10. #10
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    8,295
    Thanks
    3,657
    Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1972 View Post
    My coworker just got a CX-5 I was thrilled that it did't have auto-engine shutoff at stops.
    Why? Is there something wrong with the automatic engine shutoff feature?


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.7 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.7 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •