Thread: Nice Friend?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Nice Friend?

Friend from my college years (Have remained friends for 20 years) Honda CRV timing chain broke and destroyed the engine. Pistons. (Well I heard a noise but decided to ignore it and keep driving 150 miles) She gave the CRV free to her mechanic and was deciding replacement options. As with most people money is tight but insists on something new, cuv/suv, out of her price range... I suggested a Outlander Sport.

Suggested sell the CRV: body, interior, and everything else was in good to excellent condition she easily would get 1k-3k.

Heard via text when she passed ownership to the mechanic so I asked on the replacement she said (well I researched and Mitsubishi’s are really unreliable, junk vehicles, that are not safe at any speed. My parents researched with me (she’s 39 btw) and they feel I would throw all my money away purchasing any Mitsubishi.) So I asked what she’s considering: Rav 4, CRV, and Rogue.

She’s entitled to her opinion she’s paying for it. What surprised me she knows we currently own 2 overall trouble free Mitsubishis and her comments were disrespectful. I anticipated from the beginning she will purchase used as she has a high debt to income ratio but will spend around 20k as she will be hit with 8% sales tax and will have a lot of repairs in three to four years. Maybe the next time I will be busy dealing with our unreliable, junk, not safe at any speed Mitsubishi’s.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post

She’s entitled to her opinion she’s paying for it. What surprised me she knows we currently own 2 overall trouble free Mitsubishis and her comments were disrespectful. I anticipated from the beginning she will purchase used as she has a high debt to income ratio but will spend around 20k as she will be hit with 8% sales tax and will have a lot of repairs in three to four years. Maybe the next time I will be busy dealing with our unreliable, junk, not safe at any speed Mitsubishi’s.
    Everyone has an opinion about cars and reliability. Like toothbrushes, almost all of us drive one, or know someone who does. I would tell your friend to consult Consumer Reports 2020. The Mirage gets an above-average score for reliability. That is terrific!

The bigger the loudmouth or attention seeker, usually inverse correlation of being clueless.. and not knowing what they are talking about. Like two peas in a pod.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Friend from my college years (Have remained friends for 20 years) Honda CRV timing chain broke and destroyed the engine. Pistons. (Well I heard a noise but decided to ignore it and keep driving 150 miles) She gave the CRV free to her mechanic and was deciding replacement options. As with most people money is tight but insists on something new, cuv/suv, out of her price range... I suggested a Outlander Sport.

Suggested sell the CRV: body, interior, and everything else was in good to excellent condition she easily would get 1k-3k.

Heard via text when she passed ownership to the mechanic so I asked on the replacement she said (well I researched and MitsubishiÂ’s are really unreliable, junk vehicles, that are not safe at any speed. My parents researched with me (sheÂ’s 39 btw) and they feel I would throw all my money away purchasing any Mitsubishi.) So I asked what sheÂ’s considering: Rav 4, CRV, and Rogue.

SheÂ’s entitled to her opinion sheÂ’s paying for it. What surprised me she knows we currently own 2 overall trouble free Mitsubishis and her comments were disrespectful. I anticipated from the beginning she will purchase used as she has a high debt to income ratio but will spend around 20k as she will be hit with 8% sales tax and will have a lot of repairs in three to four years. Maybe the next time I will be busy dealing with our unreliable, junk, not safe at any speed MitsubishiÂ’s.
    I would simply point out that you are extremely happy with your Mitsubishi vehicles. Although some car critics are harsh about Mitsubishi, most owners are quite happy with their purchases. That positive opinion goes beyond the Mirage model.

I would find a nicely priced Mitsubishi Outlander Sport in her area. I would use a site like cars.com where she can read what others say about their Outlander Sport. I would also ask her how the warranty for Honda, Toyota, or Nissan compares to the 5-year bumper-to-bumper/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, 10-year/powertrain warranty, & 5-year/unlimited mileage roadside assistance of a Mitsubishi vehicle?

I can be pretty blunt a times, but when it comes to vehicles I don't say much to others unless they ask. Most people don't care about small economy cars, & I don't lose sleep over that. If they want to throw their money at more expensive vehicles, who am I to judge them? Thus, I don't care what people think of what I drive either.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    She sounds a bit weak between the ears to be honest.
    It's usually best to let those types make their own decisions. Less stressful too.

Who wants a 10 year warranty anyways.

I'd get over it. Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one, some are full of ****. Often when my friends or family asks my opinion about vehicles they don't listen. My brother inlaw just bought a used Rogue.....I forgot what year it was but wished him luck with the transmission.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Heard via text when she passed ownership to the mechanic so I asked on the replacement she said (well I researched and Mitsubishi’s are really unreliable, junk vehicles, that are not safe at any speed. My parents researched with me (she’s 39 btw) and they feel I would throw all my money away purchasing any Mitsubishi.) So I asked what she’s considering: Rav 4, CRV, and Rogue.

Tell her to buy a Chrysler 200 because they're well known for reliability or maybe a Range Rover with 175k miles on it already?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Who wants a 10 year warranty anyways.

I'd get over it. Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one, some are full of ****. Often when my friends or family asks my opinion about vehicles they don't listen. My brother inlaw just bought a used Rogue.....I forgot what year it was but wished him luck with the transmission.
    I once read in a comment section, a guy stating his mother had 160,000 miles on a Nissan Rogue & she was on her 6th transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Sounds like my family member, buy a honda before your Mirage becomes a mirage! l told her l'll buy a Kia next and she said she'll disown me...haha, like another said "give them options and let them make their own choice". People tell me all the time of the choices l've made wrong...like when l changed my oil and dinged my fenders...one of my friends told me "lf only you'd of bought a honda or toyota you wouldn't be regretting your decision". Regretting my choice?...no...l love my little car, gets me from A to B and is great on gas...plus the clutch is super light and it's a brand new car with a manual...doesn't get any better than that for me...here's my Motto "l can hold your hand, but l won't force you to do anything, so don't force me".
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Every lady in my life from my Mom to my ole lady could give 2 craps about the brand of car. They just want it to be pretty, run good, and not come with 3 pedals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Every lady in my life from my Mom to my ole lady could give 2 craps about the brand of car. They just want it to be pretty, run good, and not come with 3 pedals.
    Basically, yeah...it's crazy to see brand loyalty go to the extreme...some of my family members say they'll pass away in their cars...like really?...l went with Mitsubishi bc manual and great reliability...next l'll go Kia bc styling and great warranty+Dual Clutch...then when l get tired of working on cars...maybe...just maybe l'll get a Toyota...lol. Every car breaks, and l personally don't like to stick with one brand...l like to branch out and try different things...life's too short to get stuck in a comfort zone...just my personal opinion...plus l realize not everyone can afford many cars so for the average consumer: Honda/Toyota...

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles