Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid CVT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Stupid CVT

Ok, throwing it out there to see if anybody else is having this issue.
    So we've had 28 out of 30 days at 90+ degrees F and I've been giving my AC a workout.
    With the AC running, I pull off from the light and everything's fine until I get to 10 mph. The trans acts like it's shifting into overdrive, or if it was a typical automatic, like the converter is going into lockup.
    The thing will fall on it's face and lurch like crazy unless I really give it some gas. I'm usually at about 1500 rpms & 10 mph when this happens. No issue if I'm not running the A.C. Real pain in the butt to shut off the A.C. Every time I start off.
    If I keep the revs between 2500 & 3000 it stays in the "lower" gear, but... It won't upshift unless I let off the throttle a bit. Crazy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    When was the last time your CVT had a fluid and or filter change? Also there is a CVT TSB for this issue. Here is the forum link:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...e-Transmission

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Miles? Whats your fluid look like? Last time you changed the cvt fluid? Wait for Fummins to answer.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Miles? Whats your fluid look like? Last time you changed the cvt fluid? Wait for Fummins to answer.
    Should CVT fluid be changed even if the car has low miles? How long does trans fluid even last.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Should CVT fluid be changed even if the car has low miles? How long does trans fluid even last.
    The CVT appears to be the weak link of these cars, I would follow what is recommended in schedule 1 (change transmission fluid @ 30,000 miles) of your warranty & maintenance manual.

The warranty & maintenance manual is a general guide for all Mitsubishi vehicles (non-turbo). This would be the manual for my 2017 Mirage -

https://mcarsstatic.cachefly.net/pdf...20Complete.pdf

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (07-31-2020)

I don't know if I've felt what you're describing. Maybe?

Mine has been a real turdpail when it's hot out. I go to pull into traffic that's doing 40mph, and unless I floor it it's just a dog and it can't get out of it's own way, with or without the ac on. Even floored it's a turd. If I need to merge I often just shift to B so I don't have to wait for it to decide to downshift. Mine will often keep rpm up and not upshift unless I let off the throttle a lot. My white tampon acts differently depending on the time of the month...
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't know if I've felt what you're describing. Maybe?

Mine has been a real turdpail when it's hot out. I go to pull into traffic that's doing 40mph, and unless I floor it it's just a dog and it can't get out of it's own way, with or without the ac on. Even floored it's a turd. If I need to merge I often just shift to B so I don't have to wait for it to decide to downshift. Mine will often keep rpm up and not upshift unless I let off the throttle a lot. My white tampon acts differently depending on the time of the month...
    Do you have same experience with other CVT Mirages you have or just this one?

Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    Do you have same experience with other CVT Mirages you have or just this one?
    I’ve been maintaining a fleet of 60+ Fleet vehicles for the last 5 1/2 years. There are 20-30 2015-2019 cvt mirages I keep going. I’ve replaced and tore open 3-4 mirage cvts. And I bought my 2014 cvt last November.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I’ve been maintaining a fleet of 60+ Fleet vehicles for the last 5 1/2 years. There are 20-30 2015-2019 cvt mirages I keep going. I’ve replaced and tore open 3-4 mirage cvts. And I bought my 2014 cvt last November.
    So roughly a 10 to 15% cvt failure rate between 100k to 150k miles for your fleet. That aint bad at all. If they were Nissan Versas Id love to see the % of that lol. Probably 30 to 40%?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Ok, throwing it out there to see if anybody else is having this issue.
    So we've had 28 out of 30 days at 90+ degrees F and I've been giving my AC a workout.
    With the AC running, I pull off from the light and everything's fine until I get to 10 mph. The trans acts like it's shifting into overdrive, or if it was a typical automatic, like the converter is going into lockup.
    The thing will fall on it's face and lurch like crazy unless I really give it some gas. I'm usually at about 1500 rpms & 10 mph when this happens. No issue if I'm not running the A.C. Real pain in the butt to shut off the A.C. Every time I start off.
    If I keep the revs between 2500 & 3000 it stays in the "lower" gear, but... It won't upshift unless I let off the throttle a bit. Crazy
    Is your rpm needle bouncing all over the place? As in jumping from 3k rpm to 3700 rpm then immediately dropping to 2300 rpm then going to another random revolution? All whilst your foor pressure on the accelerator has been the same? If so thats called "cvt searching" and it aint good unfortunately. Does it your rpms look like this?