Thread: Hams?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Hams?

Is anyone else here running V/Uhf amateur gear in their Mirage?

In another thread I posted about my rig and current antenna choices. My rig is ancient, the antenna is new and a Chinese made one as well. Never did I imagine the day I would have Ch

I'm curious as to antenna type, placement, RF out.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Is anyone else here running V/Uhf amateur gear in their Mirage?

In another thread I posted about my rig and current antenna choices. My rig is ancient, the antenna is new and a Chinese made one as well. Never did I imagine the day I would have Ch

I'm curious as to antenna type, placement, RF out.
    My late grandfather was a big ham guy. He had a massive antenna on his house and could pick up Japan on it. Was cool as a kid for me.

The closest thing I've experienced was a buddy had a cb(I know not even close to the same) in his 76 dodge truck in high school. Used to irritate truckers and get yelled at a lot.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    KG5RMO here, general license.

I'm running a Tram 1188 antenna I picked up from Walmart.com a few years ago for $15. It is placed near the rear hatch. I tucked the cable under the driver side trim, under the driver seat, and under the center console.

My radio is a BTECH UV-25X2. It's not a fancy setup but I can easily reach repeaters 30+ miles away.

Now my setup at home is a different story. I can talk several states away with my VHF setup.

73's
    Last edited by stevedmc; 01-23-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The closest thing I've experienced was a buddy had a cb(I know not even close to the same) in his 76 dodge truck in high school. Used to irritate truckers and get yelled at a lot.
    I knew ham and CB were different, but I didn't realize mobile ham radio was a thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am general license ham also. Debated getting a rig for the car but I didn't feel it would get enough use to justify it. Also I wish there was a good cb/ham combo unit but I guess that doesnt exist. Really didn't want two units.

Also I wish that the radio could pickup shortwave. Shortwave seems like a decent technology that could still be used to get long distance radio stations. There are a few car radios for it but they are somewhat rare with the lack of good stations. Other countries like china use a lot more shortwave. I would much rather listen to BBC on shortwave than partisian bickering on AM.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 01-23-2020 at 05:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had a few friends that were into it. I currently have a SDR setup that I use to pick up random chatter all over the place. I've thought about getting my license and an entry-level radio but just haven't dived into it yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    KG5RMO here, general license.

I'm running a Tram 1188 antenna I picked up from Walmart.com a few years ago for $15. It is placed near the rear hatch. I tucked the cable under the driver side trim, under the driver seat, and under the center console.

My radio is a BTECH UV-25X2. It's not a fancy setup but I can easily reach repeaters 30+ miles away.

Now my setup at home is a different story. I can talk several states away with my VHF setup.

73's
    I debated a smaller/newer rig like your 25X2 but initially put my old Icom 2410 back into service then decided I want more when mobile so I bought an Icom IC-7000 today. It's HF->UHF all mode. I now face the dilemma of choosing an antenna. I suspect I'll end up with 2, one for HF and one for 6m->70cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I am general license ham also. Debated getting a rig for the car but I didn't feel it would get enough use to justify it. Also I wish there was a good cb/ham combo unit but I guess that doesnt exist. Really didn't want two units.

Also I wish that the radio could pickup shortwave. Shortwave seems like a decent technology that could still be used to get long distance radio stations. There are a few car radios for it but they are somewhat rare with the lack of good stations. Other countries like china use a lot more shortwave. I would much rather listen to BBC on shortwave than partisian bickering on AM.
    Well, my IC-7000 is SW capable and CB capable, albeit not legally for CB. My class radio is still fairly expensive but there's a nice rig on Amazon for $200 US that is 6M/10-11M/VHF/UHF. There's your CB band for you.

73's guys!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    VA7ZZR here, nothing in the Mirage though haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I Have a Dual Band Tram 1185 on my roof for UHF/VHF and a Wilson 1000 for 10 Meters, Looks like a tiny remote control car, And that Wilson 1000 has Sliced and Diced it's share of Birds. But the Magnet has never once come loose.