Thread: FEDERAL HIMALAYA KATTURA - new snow tire appears

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

FEDERAL HIMALAYA KATTURA - new snow tire appears

If comparing the same brand/type, I am a firm believer in narrow snow tires perform better than wide ones in snow.

In the past few years, the Dunlop Winter Maxx WM02 & Nokian Nordman 7 (studded or non-studded) have been the two main 165/65r14 snow tire options in the States.

I just happened to notice a new snow tire offering that can be found @ both simpletire.com & tires-easy.com.

The Federal Himalaya Kattura seems to be affordable priced. Given my experience with my Federal SS-657 tires, I would not rule out these snow tires. Since the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires (all-weather) have temporarily disappeared, these may be another good snow tire option. My hope is that the 165/65r14 Quatrac 5 tires reappear in the fall, too.

As of July 31, 2020 - The Federal Himalaya Kattura have a price of $65.99 @ simpletire.com & $57.33 @ tires-easy.com.

I currently have a pair of the Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires that I have used up front the past 3 winters. I paid approximately $80-85 for them @ tires-easy.com (December 2017). The Nokian tires are a decent snow tire (made in Russia), but I would not rule out giving these Federal snow tires a try in the future.

https://www.federaltire.com/en/produ...s_detail_sn=39

https://www.tires-easy.com/165-65-14...irecode/C26G4A

https://simpletire.com/federal-165-65r14-c26g4afe-tires

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-01-2020)

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-01-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    For the past decade, at my home country, which is Taiwan, Federal is not a top pick anymore; Maxxis instead. Used to be a decent tire manufacturer...
    Snow and freezing temperature will only be seen on those 3000m above sea level area, which government allows snowchain-installed vehicle to access in winter time. Quite curious where they tested those tires.....unlike mainland China....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES Limited 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MigWay For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MigWay View Post
    For the past decade, at my home country, which is Taiwan, Federal is not a top pick anymore; Maxxis instead. Used to be a decent tire manufacturer...
    Snow and freezing temperature will only be seen on those 3000m above sea level area, which government allows snowchain-installed vehicle to access in winter time. Quite curious where they tested those tires.....unlike mainland China....
    That doesn't change the fact that the Federal Himalaya Kattura may be a good snow tire choice for the money.

If Maxxis makes a 165/65r14 tire sold in the United States, I am not aware of it?

I am not endorsing the Federal snow tires, but it's good to see another 165/65r14 option in the States. Compared to our neighbors to the north of us (Canadians), we don't have that many small snow tire choices to pick from.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am pretty sure I am gonna buy narrow winter tires 14" for my Mirage hatch this coming winter. First time.

I will give my little car credit. My Mirage handles amazing in the winter, truly does, but no car can make snow squalls less squirrelly. Anyhow, I want to improve the handling from good to very good in the winter. I have hummed and wondered about this point for 7 winters now. My local dealer carries the Pirelli's but they want an arm and a leg. I like the Vredstein's reviews, but it's over $100(canadian) a tire according to the store Fummins posted there. Plus I find everything harder to find/get to/ do these days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I have always had good luck with Federals. In fact, I have a new set of Super Steels I bought a year or two ago which are going to be installed at the end of the summer. I am about to finally wear out SubcompactCulture's OEM Enasaves, which I bought when he upgraded his wheels. I am sure the Federals will give me an mpg hit, but they were cheap enough that it doesn't matter to me.

Last year I picked up a set of studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas in a very odd 155/70-14 size on super-duper closeout from tires-easy, and they are set to go on this fall. I will report, but am sure they will be awesome.

I'd buy Federal snow tires in a second.

I’m still running my snow tires on mine lol. Zero complaints. I think they’re rotellas or something. Cheap but work well and seem to be wearing very well considering it’s halfway through Summer. I’ll swap my summers tires on next summer I guess
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I have always had good luck with Federals. In fact, I have a new set of Super Steels I bought a year or two ago which are going to be installed at the end of the summer. I am about to finally wear out SubcompactCulture's OEM Enasaves, which I bought when he upgraded his wheels. I am sure the Federals will give me an mpg hit, but they were cheap enough that it doesn't matter to me.

Last year I picked up a set of studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas in a very odd 155/70-14 size on super-duper closeout from tires-easy, and they are set to go on this fall. I will report, but am sure they will be awesome.

I'd buy Federal snow tires in a second.
    If anyone is interested in snow tires for this upcoming winter, these new Federal Himalaya Kattura 165/65R14 79T BSW for $51.64/tire are not a bad price.

https://www.tires-easy.com/165-65-14...irecode/C26G4A

Nokian Nordman 7 tires are typically around $80-85/tire when I have checked, & they offer a studded version for a bit more. Dunlop Winter Maxx 165/65r14 seem to be $90+/tire, but better deals may exist? Vredestien Quatrac 5 (all-weather instead of snow tire) appear to be priced a bit higher now @ $90+/tire, too.

The Federal snow tires may or may not be as good as the Nokian, Dunlop, or Vredestein 165/65r14 snow tire options, but they may be worth a try at that price.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just noticed the new Federal Himalaya All season Kattura 165/65R14 79T BSW winter tires are now carried by Walmart, too. Walmart has them for $54/tire with free shipping. Walmart's pic of them is wrong, because it looks like a Federal SS657 tire.

Tires-easy.com has them listed for $51.64/tire with free shipping. eBay has some for $51/tire with free shipping.

Speaking for myself - If I was in the market for some snow tires this coming winter, I would give these a try. I've been using a pair of Nokian Nordman 7 (non-studded) snow tires up front the past 3 winters, & they have been wearing well. I don't have a problem recommending the Nokian, but the Federal snow tires about $30-35 less per tire. At that price difference, I would try them. Most of all, I am just glad to see more 165/65r14 tire options. I prefer a narrow snow tire for climbing winter ridge roads where I live. Wide snow tires on lightweight cars don't do as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-23-2020)