Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: What do your spark plugs look like?

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Not sure yet
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    If an ignition coil were shot, it would not run acceptably.

    My experience with additives for the fuel has shown they benefit the industry more than the car.
    If the fuel is too low octane and knocks, the sensor tells the ECU and it adjusts accordingly. Pinging noises are not normal. Did you buy it new?

    If you live in the northern parts, say Rockhampton or higher, 10w 30 doesn't seem too thick. Try to get an oil compliant with ILSAC GF-5 and change it timely. See the owners manual.
    When I bought the car it had 138.000 km, it now has 149.000 km. For the next oil change maybe I will try 0w-20 or 5w20 its one of the recommended ones in many websites, and when I search 10w30 it says that the oil does not fit my car, weird...

    I think ill never buy a car from a toyota dealership ever again...



  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 941 Times in 534 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovan View Post
    When I bought the car it had 138.000 km, it now has 149.000 km. For the next oil change maybe I will try 0w-20 or 5w20 its one of the recommended ones in many websites, and when I search 10w30 it says that the oil does not fit my car, weird...

    I think ill never buy a car from a toyota dealership ever again...


    If regular maintenance was done properly and timely, 150 000km makes it an almost new engine. You may want to check out a VW50400 compliant oil. It is 100% PAO and Ester based, and also has the highest level of protection against wear and carbon deposits. It is officially a longlife oil that often last more than twice as long as usual, so it is definitely still OK when changed at normal intervals.
    see: https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Not sure yet
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    An update!:
    Changed the plugs and gapped them, i realised that the old plugs gap were too high, maybe it caused problems in the long term,not sure. But I used some Liqui Moly petrol intake Decarb and sprayed right inside the intake after the throttle body and can't believe how smooth and responsive it feels right now, it doesnt hesitate anymore when going uphills, there was a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust.
    Recently changed the oil by myself, it was the first i do this in a car lol and came up as dark a soy sauce, and even worse... i added some valvoline synpower full synthetic 5w30, the engine sounds better and idles smoother. However the pinging noise seems to be still in there but now after the engine is warm. Any ideas? i am guessing it could probably need a new coolant... at this stage i feel like the dealer was ripping me off

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 941 Times in 534 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovan View Post
    An update!:
    Changed the plugs and gapped them, i realised that the old plugs gap were too high, maybe it caused problems in the long term,not sure. But I used some Liqui Moly petrol intake Decarb and sprayed right inside the intake after the throttle body and can't believe how smooth and responsive it feels right now, it doesnt hesitate anymore when going uphills, there was a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust.
    Recently changed the oil by myself, it was the first i do this in a car lol and came up as dark a soy sauce, and even worse... i added some valvoline synpower full synthetic 5w30, the engine sounds better and idles smoother. However the pinging noise seems to be still in there but now after the engine is warm. Any ideas? i am guessing it could probably need a new coolant... at this stage i feel like the dealer was ripping me off
    Plugs with too wide gaps will cause misfires and waste fuel.

    Oil like soy sauce or darker needs to be changed, unless you like carbon deposits, caked-up piston rings and burning oil.

    Pinging is certainly not normal and should be taken care of asap.

    Coolant needs to be clear and not murky. Even in Darwin you need the correct sort of coolant, unmixed with other brands, and in the correct concentration. If not, you kill the engine in the long run. If there is not enough coolant in the engine, you are sure to get serious problems very soon.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

    Ovan (09-21-2020)

  6. #15
    Я R01k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    US
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    537
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 85 Times in 63 Posts

    Question

    Guys, what are these spark plugs telling me? Worrisome oil traces? Just changed them at 75K mi on my 2014.

    Name:  IMG_20221119_162458.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  86.5 KB

    Name:  IMG_20221119_162634.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  86.9 KB

    Name:  IMG_20221119_162649.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  87.2 KB

    Name:  IMG_20221119_162706.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  84.4 KB

    Name:  vlcsnap-2022-11-19-16h45m48s229.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  79.2 KB

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)


  7. #16
    Senior Member klroger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    ottawa valley
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    570
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 306 Times in 218 Posts
    Look Good!!! If they were plugs from my engine, I'd put them back in & run them for another 50,000 or more
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

    R01k (11-20-2022)

  9. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    KCMO
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    5
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    96k miles on mine when I changed them.





    But I traded it two months ago for a 6 speed manual forte gt. The ONLY THING I miss about my Mirage... that damn turning radius. The worlds smallest area?! No problem. Can whip that sucker around. Not my new car!! haha. Much bigger car.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW6IbSgFOmM

    Oh yeah! I noticed better gas mileage after changing my plugs. I was only seeing in the 30's with the old ones. Then I got back into the 40's with the new plugs.
    Last edited by wwjoshdew; 11-21-2022 at 10:30 PM.

  10. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Atlanta Metro
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,040
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 797 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Look Good!!! If they were plugs from my engine, I'd put them back in & run them for another 50,000 or more
    Agreed about them looking good. But I think I'd slap new ones in, index them and enjoy the tremendous gains in hp.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)


  11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

    R01k (11-25-2022)

  12. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 941 Times in 534 Posts
    These plugs have a little "pill" of precious metal (iridium, ruthenium...) on the tip of center electrode. It looks a bit like a short needle. The precious metal reaches only about half way down that pill. When that is used up, the rest of the pill which is made of cheaper metal, gets worn away very quickly. That rapidly increases the gap and your car uses more fuel. So, it pays to have a good look at the pill of these plugs. If there's not much left, its time to change them.



  13. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

    BigMW (11-23-2022)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •