Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scraping sound while accelerating in new 2022 Mirage, manual transmission

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Scraping sound while accelerating in new 2022 Mirage, manual transmission

Hi, all. I purchased the car new with 150 miles on it last month, and have since put about 1600 on it. I noticed what I thought to be a faint rattling in the dash when accelerating a few days ago. I assumed it was from cheap plastic, and mostly ignored it.

However, today, I was in 5th gear at around 35 mph (normally I'd be in 4th at cruising speed, or 3rs for quick acceleration), and when giving it heavy throttle, there was a distinct (yet soft in volume), coarse, scraping/rattling sound that seemed to emanate from behind the peddles.

I spent some time testing various gears, at various speeds, with various amounts of throttle, and found that every gear had this sound to some degree or another. It's more apparent in higher gears at lower speeds, but still detectable in lower gears at higher speeds.

The best was I can describe it is that when in a gear too high for the current speed, and heavy throttle is applied, a scraping/rattling sound is produced. The more out of sync the gear is for the given speed (i.e. traveling too slowly in too high a gear) the more segmented, coarse, and disharmonious the sound is. As speed picks up, and even as the gear appropriately matches the speed, the scraping/rattling becomes faster and tighter to the point of sounding as one mechanical "hum", which is the rattling that I believed to be from the dash that I described initially.

I don't know if this is a normal sound or not, but it is disconcerting all the same. Will someone offer some insight on their experience and knowledge of the manual transmission for the Mirage, and how I should go about in troubleshooting it if there is an issue?

Thank you.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't have a manual trans, but If it's a 2022 with ~1600 miles & has unusual noises, take it to the dealer & ask to take a Tech for a road test to hear your noise... You shouldn't have to trouble shoot anything @ 1600 miles... Just my thoughts...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-02-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoj View Post
    Hi, all. I purchased the car new with 150 miles on it last month, and have since put about 1600 on it. I noticed what I thought to be a faint rattling in the dash when accelerating a few days ago. I assumed it was from cheap plastic, and mostly ignored it.

However, today, I was in 5th gear at around 35 mph (normally I'd be in 4th at cruising speed, or 3rs for quick acceleration), and when giving it heavy throttle, there was a distinct (yet soft in volume), coarse, scraping/rattling sound that seemed to emanate from behind the peddles.

I spent some time testing various gears, at various speeds, with various amounts of throttle, and found that every gear had this sound to some degree or another. It's more apparent in higher gears at lower speeds, but still detectable in lower gears at higher speeds.

The best was I can describe it is that when in a gear too high for the current speed, and heavy throttle is applied, a scraping/rattling sound is produced. The more out of sync the gear is for the given speed (i.e. traveling too slowly in too high a gear) the more segmented, coarse, and disharmonious the sound is. As speed picks up, and even as the gear appropriately matches the speed, the scraping/rattling becomes faster and tighter to the point of sounding as one mechanical "hum", which is the rattling that I believed to be from the dash that I described initially.

I don't know if this is a normal sound or not, but it is disconcerting all the same. Will someone offer some insight on their experience and knowledge of the manual transmission for the Mirage, and how I should go about in troubleshooting it if there is an issue?

Thank you.
    It is normal - it's the car letting you know that you're in the wrong gear for what you're demanding of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 88coltturbo For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-02-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah... if it is in the wrong gear you could experience a spark knock I guess but I would think it would be more of a lugging... My money is on the air cleaner snorkel. My made rattling noises that early on. I would check to see if you could wiggle the inlet of the snorkel. I was surprised to see mine had movement that early on... It is really a design flaw. The two halves of my snorkel actually rattle. Not at the air box junction where most people can quiet it by replacing the deterioated foam seal.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...exhaust-hanger

Possibly that^ or the fact that these cars only have 74hp and that's normal.
    What were you driving before the Mirage?
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-02-2022 at 04:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I don't have a manual trans, but If it's a 2022 with ~1600 miles & has unusual noises, take it to the dealer & ask to take a Tech for a road test to hear your noise... You shouldn't have to trouble shoot anything @ 1600 miles... Just my thoughts...
    I have an appointment at my local dealer for them to take a look/ give a listen this afternoon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to darkoj For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-02-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    It is normal - it's the car letting you know that you're in the wrong gear for what you're demanding of it.
    I'm open to that possibility, but this sounds distinctly different than a thick, deep, or spacey lugging sound. It sounds more thin, metallic, and coarse, and it can be heard in addition to a lugging sound, rather than replacing it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Yeah... if it is in the wrong gear you could experience a spark knock I guess but I would think it would be more of a lugging... My money is on the air cleaner snorkel. My made rattling noises that early on. I would check to see if you could wiggle the inlet of the snorkel. I was surprised to see mine had movement that early on... It is really a design flaw. The two halves of my snorkel actually rattle. Not at the air box junction where most people can quiet it by replacing the deterioated foam seal.
    I'll look into this if the dealer can't identify any issue this afternoon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...exhaust-hanger

Possibly that^ or the fact that these cars only have 74hp and that's normal.
    What were you driving before the Mirage?
    I've been driving a 2006 Lancer ES, 5 speed, for the past 8 years, with no transmission or clutch issues. I can also double clutch and float gears in a semi with an unrestricted class A CDL. This sound is totally foreign to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It could be the hamster feet on the hamster wheel when you push the gas pedal. I kid, I kid.