Thread: Mirage reliability ratings, below avg according to this site

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Mirage reliability ratings, below avg according to this site

Anyone know if this is a trusted/respected data site?

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/...hi_Mirage.html

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I can't find any information on where they get their data?!?

Be sure to scroll down and click on the Enthusiast Forum link to see where it goes.

Name:  forum.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  35.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-01-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Anyone know if this is a trusted/respected data site?

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/...hi_Mirage.html
    I don't think it's legit at all. But Mirage's built from 2014-19 are in their pie chart's good side of yellow. So cautionary reliability, but the arrow is way nearer the good green zone. Than it is in the bad red zone. They give reliability at 36/100 for newer Mirages, and 41/100 for the 90s Mirages.

The website says the Mercedes G-wagen is their best overall ranked car since 1997. 100/100.

At best, this is an old website that gets a few hundred people submitting... some owners, some probably not. Take it with a grain of salt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-01-2020)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I can't find any information on where they get their data?!?
    Look better. In the 'click here first' page I found:

WHERE DOES YOUR DATA COME FROM?

Our data is provided by a partnership with a national network of used car auctions, which allows us to get information on vehicles from all across the country with uniform reporting standards.

SO THE DATA IS FROM USED CAR AUCTIONS? WHAT IF YOU’RE JUST GETTING CRUMMY VEHICLES THAT PEOPLE DUMP OFF, WON’T THAT SKEW THE DATA?

We add thousands of new vehicles to our database every week, and while it’s certainly possible that someone could send a “lemon” to auction, the volume of vehicles being processed, and the standardized methods used to assess the vehicles, helps us protect against one or two bad owners throwing off our numbers.
    So, assuming this is right, it might be an idea to think of which kind of Mirages are sold on auctions, to see if the numbers can be extrapolated to all other Mirages in the world.
    I have no idea. AFAIK by us cars only are sold on auctions when the owner went bankrupt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    WHERE DOES YOUR DATA COME FROM?

Our data is provided by a partnership with a national network of used car auctions...
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Dashboard Light is owned by a car dealer/car auction company. They're churning data on auction vehicles. I wouldn't completely disregard their data. If you have no clue about how reliable a given used car might be, this data is better than nothing.

But have you seen some of the used Mirages out there? It seems like a significant percentage of them weren't well-cared for. If you are gathering reliability data based on used Mirages running through an auction, I would suspect that the data for Mirages might be skewed a bit negative.

...AFAIK by us cars only are sold on auctions when the owner went bankrupt.
    A lot of cars in the US go through car auctions for legitimate reasons. Being an auction vehicle (in the US) doesn't mean the car had a negative history.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)