Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    Three tips for you:

1: Use cruise control.
    2: Use cruise control.
    3: Use #%^&ing cruise control!

No, seriously, when you're going at a steady seed, the CVT is smarter than the average trans. With a set cruise speed, it knows exactly how much rpm and throttle is needed at any given speed above 25, and chooses the most economical RPM range possible. With cruise off, the CVT and engine are somewhat sure of your intentions, but not 100% in sync with your right foot (since a telepathic ECU hasn't been invented yet), so they leave a slight margin of error. Cruise control will generally hold 150-300 rpm lower and only kick down into low range when absolutely necessary, where having cruise off will provoke a downshift into low much more easily.
    Not in all cars.
    My girlfriend had a 2001 Holden/Opel/Vauxhall Astra, using cruise control at 100 it would be revving around 3.5k, using your foot it was around 2.6k. Used twice as much fuel. Nothing was wrong with the cruise control unit or anything, had it tested.
    Also you can always beat cruise control, you just need a very steady foot. But of course over a really long cruise, I would rather use it. Makes for a more relaxing journey

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I was referring specifically to the CVT our cars have. It's extremely intelligent.

I noticed better MPG than even using DWL techniques. MetroMPG knows what I'm on about. I was able to utilize DWL to bring my 2010 Hyundai Accent's average from 27.2 MPG to 30.1 just utilizing DWL (which is f@#&ing sad when you discover my 2013 Genesis Coupe could get 29.5 real world using the same technique, despite having 225 MORE HP and weighing 1,000 lbs. more than the accent as well) , but the Mirage's transmission/cruise combo can out-highway-economy DWL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    the Mirage's transmission/cruise combo can out-highway-economy DWL.
    Feel like posting that on EcoModder? That's threadworthy.

The only other CVT tipI know of only applies to cars with "manual shift gates" -- my limited experience with a couple of CVTs is you can get the car to "upshift" sooner than "default" by working the shifter. But it wouldn't cause you to cruise at a lower RPM like you're saying the Mirage's cruise will do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i live in a hilly part of Diamond Bar and i too have CVT.

my tips in getting best mpg are staying on highways.

Hilly streets i get about 33-36mpg but 36+ on highways

I dont use cruise control a lot because it does maintain actual speed even on slight inclines which will cause the engine to work harder, therefore more fuel is being consumed. But i do use cruise control on the roads where i know are flat.

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    I noticed the CVT will "search" a bit on a downward incline at 50 - 60 Km/h causing the motor to lift the revs a little. I've found that a little tap on the accelerator will cause it to "settle down" and drop the revs back down to under 1500 RPM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    UPDATE: I'm getting 27.8 MPG on my commute. my morning uphill drive is 0.8 miles and i see 7.9 mpg on the read out while climbing the hill (on a cold engine). i try to make up the fuel economy by simply rolling downhill when i come home. i have noticed that the car will raise RPMS but since i am not on the throttle i assume its the car trying to provide engine breaking and keep itself under DFCO.

what are your opinions on taking a longer route for fuel economy? this new route i'm thinking about is 1.8 miles but it starts downhill and then flat and i would go up a less steep hill once the engine is warm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It is important to note how many miles are on your car at the moment? CVT's take a while to break in because they are adaptive, and in part because they just take a while to break in. Don't get discouraged in your cars poor fuel economy just yet, especially if it has very low miles; it will climb over time.

My car is not the same as yours, Outlander Sport... but it too has a CVT and when it was new it got about 19 MPG in the city and 20-22 MPG on the highway and got poor fuel economy for a few thousand miles (poor fuel economy meaning it was less than the EPA rating). Now, with 40,xxx miles on the clock, I cant get less than 28 MPG on the highway @ 65 MPH. In the city, its not dipped below 23 MPG in a lloooooonnnnnggggg time. Just give your car some time and see where its at after, say, the first oil change.

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Remember to reset your eco display after 10 mins running as well to display a "warmed up" reading

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Foxtrot - I have a 2008 Lancer GTS with the automatic CVT and I noticed what you are saying about the CVT taking time and being adaptive. It will take a few weeks for your car and you ta get used to each other. Especially the car! I get 31mpg highway and 23mpg city. The car is built very well and normal maintenance is easy to schedule and get done and keep the compact running well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrero View Post
    UPDATE: I'm getting 27.8 MPG on my commute. my morning uphill drive is 0.8 miles
    Your commute is 0.8 miles each way?? Is your bicycle broken? Just kidding.

Seriously, though: no car is going to get its EPA rated fuel economy from a cold start in a drive of 0.8 miles. Fuel consumption is significantly worse before the car reaches full operating temperature -- not just the engine coolant, but transmission oil, bearings, tires too. All of those things have to reach peak, stable running temperature before a car is delivering its maximum fuel economy.

what are your opinions on taking a longer route for fuel economy? this new route i'm thinking about is 1.8 miles but it starts downhill and then flat and i would go up a less steep hill once the engine is warm.
    It's likely you'll end up with a better fuel economy reading, but you may burn more fuel overall. Only way to tell is compare both routes and record/crunch the numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)