Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hope is still ALIVE for Mitsubishi...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have to believe the pandemic has made some re-evaluate things in life. That's not necessarily bad. It's made me take a pause for a bit, & I don't have a job worry. If you start worrying about your job security, the thought of buying a new car goes out the window, too.

I can't fathom car payments that are equal to mortgage payments years ago. Unlike buying a home, a car is not an investment. I enjoy seeing affordable vehicle appear on the market, but that's not very common any more. I would put the recent Hyundai Venue in that group, but I am drawn to vehicles that offer a manual transmission option.

I disappearance of small cars in North America is a bad refection on all us I am afraid. We can't blame the auto industry for all of that.
    You mean people shouldn't go out and blow a bunch of money on toys? I understand logic but don't seem to follow it to a tee. I haven't owed any money other than a mortgage in over 3 years and now the economy takes a dump and future is uncertain I'm making bigger purchases than ever lol.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You mean people shouldn't go out and blow a bunch of money on toys? I understand logic but don't seem to follow it to a tee. I haven't owed any money other than a mortgage in over 3 years and now the economy takes a dump and future is uncertain I'm making bigger purchases than ever lol.
    Not everything that I write follows logic.

People are entitled to spend their money however they like. There is nothing wrong with owing toys or expensive vehicles for that matter. I would question buying toys on credit, but wealthy mechanics don't have that concern apparently.

You most likely dump money into a cheap Mirage so you can buy toys that you enjoy? There's absolutely nothing wrong that. I drive a Mirage as much as I can to extend the life of my older more expensive to replace AWD manual Forester.

It would seem a bit ironic to have a high vehicle payment, & then be to poor to go anywhere with it! I don't mean to be overly critical of anyone, but I feel new vehicles have become quite expensive. Vehicles are just money pits. I appreciate affordable, reliable, economical cars like the Mirage, but people like us must be the minority?

Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, & Toyota Prius c are well built small cars. Yet, they are leaving us. Most interesting small vehicle line up I see is Suzuki, & we lost that market years ago.

Every year the Mirage 5-speed powertrain is offered here is a win to me. Used Mirages may be around for decades to come? Then again 10-15 years from now, we may all be embracing/driving hybrids or something else. Who knows?

Not everything that I write follows logic.

People are entitled to spend their money however they like. There is nothing wrong with owing toys or expensive vehicles for that matter. I would question buying toys on credit, but wealthy mechanics don't have that concern apparently. Nah, it's all relative, the more you make(and more kids you have) the more expensive life gets. I'd be too poor to afford a Mirage if the wife didn't have a decent job too

You most likely dump money into a cheap Mirage so you can buy toys that you enjoy? Yes, and cause I didn't want to take over the wife's payments on the wifes optima

There's absolutely nothing wrong that. I drive a Mirage as much as I can to extend the life of my older more expensive to replace AWD manual Forester.

It would seem a bit ironic to have a high vehicle payment, & then be to poor to go anywhere with it! That's where credit cards come in hand, duh lol

I don't mean to be overly critical of anyone, but I feel new vehicles have become quite expensive. Vehicles are just money pits. I appreciate affordable, reliable, economical cars like the Mirage, but people like us must be the minority?
    I'm not offended. I'll likely get bored or outgrow the Mirage in the next year or two. Or I may keep it til it blows, I dunno... For now it does the job and I really can't complain. It cost the same as my last quad I bought, has a heater and doesn't break down. I figure this year is a gong show anyways so might as well try to make the best of it. I'm going on holidays again on the 15th
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why would the Triton name be treated differently than the L200 name?
    I was wrong. I thought the L200 and Triton was different. I remember seeing a new L200 and the new Triton but they looked different. Must be different designs for different markets.

The Tritons I have been seeing looked bigger so I thought it would be Mitsubishi's bigger truck.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I was wrong. I thought the L200 and Triton was different. I remember seeing a new L200 and the new Triton but they looked different. Must be different designs for different markets.

The Tritons I have been seeing looked bigger so I thought it would be Mitsubishi's bigger truck.
    Don't feel bad. Mitsubishi plays games with their naming conventions. I wish they called this the Colt instead of Mirage, but what can you do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post

The Triton would be competitive to the Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado, & Toyota Hilux/Tacoma. Those trucks have all grown in size. A smaller truck like the Mitsubishi Mighty Max or Dodge Ram 50 would fill a void in the small truck market. Those truck had simple 2.4L engines and could still tow 3,500 pounds. Today's 2.4L engine would be an improvement. If they offered a basic manual model and upper trim level automatic in RWD or 4WD, I think more people would take note of Mitsubishi. This would help put Mitsubishi back on the road map in the North America.

Ford & Hyundai are coming out with small trucks, which I would consider a crossover truck. I personally don't consider these trucks. Mitsubishi should make a small work truck (body on a frame) that could do jobs like haul lumber, firewood, or an ATV. This is a missing niche these days. It's a shame that Mitsubishi didn't keep their Normal, Illinois plant for this task, but that's hindsight now.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The Triton would be competitive to the Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado, & Toyota Hilux/Tacoma. Those trucks have all grown in size. A smaller truck like the Mitsubishi Mighty Max or Dodge Ram 50 would fill a void in the small truck market. Those truck had simple 2.4L engines and could still tow 3,500 pounds. Today's 2.4L engine would be an improvement. If they offered a basic manual model and upper trim level automatic in RWD or 4WD, I think more people would take note of Mitsubishi. This would help put Mitsubishi back on the road map in the North America.

Ford & Hyundai are coming out with small trucks, which I would consider a crossover truck. I personally don't consider these trucks. Mitsubishi should make a small work truck (body on a frame) that could do jobs like haul lumber, firewood, or an ATV. This is a missing niche these days. It's a shame that Mitsubishi didn't keep their Normal, Illinois plant for this task, but that's hindsight now.
    Does Nissan avoid the truck chicken tax? If so, an economy version Triton but rebadged a Nissan could sell here maybe. Call it the Nissan Fuji.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The chicken tax applies to trucks built outside of North America by ANY manufacturer.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Does Nissan avoid the truck chicken tax? If so, an economy version Triton but rebadged a Nissan could sell here maybe. Call it the Nissan Fuji.
    "For the most part, the Nissan Frontier is made in America. Although the transmission and some of the engines are sourced from Japan, more than 50 percent of the components for the Frontier are made in the U.S and Canada. The truck is manufactured at Nissan's plant in Canton, Mississippi." Jun 25, 2017

It's a global market, & it has been that way for quite some time. I owned a 1999 Ford Explorer built in Kentucky, but the engine & transmission were from Japan & Germany.

Nissan has been selling junk for too many years to pull me into their showrooms.