Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope is still ALIVE for Mitsubishi...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Hope is still ALIVE for Mitsubishi...

When executives recently shared how Renault, Nissan, & Mitsubishi may focus on different markets around the world, I came across Kirk Kreifels on youtube.com about a month ago.

A month ago, he shared some of the same concerns some of us had - "Mitsubishi's American future is fading..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9myHJTFvoFo

A few days ago, he responded to some of the new announcements made by Mitsubishi that also gave most of us hope that Mitsubishi may be sticking around. "Hope is still ALIVE for Mitsubishi..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO6LgE_Bvu8&t=502s

If you like pondering about the future of Mitsubishi in North America, you may find his 2nd clip interesting. I sort of share his overall impression of Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi may be making one last big push in North America before determining its fate here.

Compared to companies like Fiat, I believe Mitsubishi's potential in the U.S. market is still good. They are, however, competing against Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/KIA, & those companies are very well-established competition.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-01-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree with a lot of what Kirk says. He is kinda different, and obviously not an economy car owner lol. He referred to the Mirage as a "tin can that doesn't weigh anything"

Anyway, I think what Mitsubishi needs to stay afloat is a runaway success... get people in the showroom, build something different. Hopefully the 2022 Outlander is a success for Mitsu. I like the looks of the concept version, but I'm not sure if the road one will be as stylish.
    Name:  mitsubishi-engleberg-concept-00003_hmddmx.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  95.8 KB

I also wanted to mention on the topic of Mitsubishi staying in the USA, with a brand new office with no employees in it hardly; that Mitsubishi has had some bad luck in the States. I was watching the cable news TV in the lunchroom at work the other day.. and they said on the text blurb running across the screen... that Mitsubishi has lost 57% of sales in 2020 compared to 2019. That's not good.

*photo source: https://www.betweentheaxles.net/2022...-concept-21087
    Last edited by dspace9; 08-01-2020 at 04:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I agree with a lot of what Kirk says. He is kinda different, and obviously not an economy car owner lol. He referred to the Mirage as a "tin can that doesn't weigh anything"

Anyway, I think what Mitsubishi needs to stay afloat is a runaway success... get people in the showroom, build something different. Hopefully the 2022 Outlander is a success for Mitsu. I like the looks of the concept version, but I'm not sure if the road one will be as stylish.
    Name:  mitsubishi-engleberg-concept-00003_hmddmx.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  95.8 KB

I also wanted to mention on the topic of Mitsubishi staying in the USA, with a brand new office with no employees in it hardly; that Mitsubishi has had some bad luck in the States. I was watching the cable news TV in the lunchroom at work the other day.. and they said on the text blurb running across the screen... that Mitsubishi has lost 57% of sales in 2020 compared to 2019. That's not good.
    I don't think Mitsubishi's biggest obstacle in my area is their product. Their dealership network sucks! I don't go out of my way to recommend Mitsubishi to anyone, because my nearest dealership is horrible. They are vultures, who like to prey on people with bad credit or have very little car shopping experience. They have very little interest in the customer that has the funds to buy a car at the best possible price.

As far as losing sales, that probably applies to most companies these days. I honestly believe the car market is due for a crash of some sort, & I honestly don't see that as all bad. People who are financing expensive vehicles for 6,7, or 8 years are throwing away a lot of money. That's less money left for buying other items that are also a part of our economy. I would like to see a return of more affordable vehicles, but that might just be a dream at this point.

I don't blame all this on just the car companies. Americans in particular embrace large expensive vehicles. F-150, Silverado, & Ram trucks have been the top three selling vehicles for quite some time. Why sell the Fiesta, Focus, & Fusion when consumers will buy your more expensive vehicles instead?

If Mitsubishi really wants to make their presence known here, their L200 (Triton) pickup truck would help do that! Even if that meant finding a plant to assemble them here, it may be worth it. Mitsubishi needs to find their niche. The pandemic has made life a reschedule for most everyone & everything. I wouldn't overreact to the drop in sales for anything these days.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-01-2020),poorman1 (08-08-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I think Mitsubishi will continue on but Nissan will put their badge on Mitsu designed vehicles. Just a theory on my end. Also I PM'ed you.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I don't blame all this on just the car companies. Americans in particular embrace large expensive vehicles. F-150, Silverado, & Ram trucks have been the top three selling vehicles for quite some time. Why sell the Fiesta, Focus, & Fusion when consumers will buy your more expensive vehicles instead?

If Mitsubishi really wants to make their presence known here, their L200 (Triton) pickup truck would help do that! Even if that meant finding a plant to assemble them here, it may be worth it. Mitsubishi needs to find their niche. The pandemic has made life a reschedule for most everyone & everything. I wouldn't overreact to the drop in sales for anything these days.
    Canadians are buying huge, expensive trucks in droves too. Most of them are never used in construction, etc. Just for the looks. I know like 4 people who fit that description. I thought my 84 month loan for my Mirage was bad... and all the free credit cards 3 weeks later... imagine a $700 a month car loan and then get up your arrears in credit card debt 6 months later. What a scheme the world is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Canadians are buying huge, expensive trucks in droves too. Most of them are never used in construction, etc. Just for the looks. I know like 4 people who fit that description. I thought my 84 month loan for my Mirage was bad... and all the free credit cards 3 weeks later... imagine a $700 a month car loan and then get up your arrears in credit card debt 6 months later. What a scheme the world is.
    I have to believe the pandemic has made some re-evaluate things in life. That's not necessarily bad. It's made me take a pause for a bit, & I don't have a job worry. If you start worrying about your job security, the thought of buying a new car goes out the window, too.

I can't fathom car payments that are equal to mortgage payments years ago. Unlike buying a home, a car is not an investment. I enjoy seeing affordable vehicle appear on the market, but that's not very common any more. I would put the recent Hyundai Venue in that group, but I am drawn to vehicles that offer a manual transmission option.

I disappearance of small cars in North America is a bad refection on all us I am afraid. We can't blame the auto industry for all of that.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-01-2020),inuvik (08-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I think Mitsubishi will continue on but Nissan will put their badge on Mitsu designed vehicles. Just a theory on my end. Also I PM'ed you.
    I hope Mitsubishi doesn't become like Scion for Toyota, but you may be right.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have to believe the pandemic has made some re-evaluate things in life. That's not necessarily bad. It's made me take a pause for a bit, & I don't have a job worry. If you start worrying about your job security, the thought of buying a new car goes out the window, too.

I can't fathom car payments that are equal to mortgage payments years ago. Unlike buying a home, a car is not an investment. I enjoy seeing affordable vehicle appear on the market, but that's not very common any more. I would put the recent Hyundai Venue in that group, but I am drawn to vehicles that offer a manual transmission option.

I disappearance of small cars in North America is a bad refection on all us I am afraid. We can't blame the auto industry for all of that.
    I don't get it either . Many cars and SUVs are super expensive too, so it's not just trucks. Older generations were taught to save and be prudent, and be cautious of taking big amounts of debt besides a house mortgage. I bought my house 7 years ago, and it's been a way better investment than my Mirage. I do like my car but it's just a car, not an investment.

I'm partial to manuals too. Going on over 6 years driving my Mirage and my car is a manual ES hatch. Then years back I had a VW Rabbit cabrio manual. No power steering.
    Last edited by dspace9; 08-01-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

The Outlander has been selling like crazy. The newer models are more common in Washington state than the Mazda CX-5 and everyone wants those.

Last few years of Outlander sales were around 30,000 which have been the highest in 15 years according to the numbers.
    https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/mitsub...sales-figures/

They really need a bigger 4x4 SUV or truck to get more sales. They could bring the Triton over but not the L200. The L200 would be subject to the chicken tariff.

Edit: L200 and Triton are the same, and is considered a light truck.
    Last edited by Marklovski; 08-05-2020 at 05:09 PM.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    The Outlander has been selling like crazy. The newer models are more common in Washington state than the Mazda CX-5 and everyone wants those.

Last few years of Outlander sales were around 30,000 which have been the highest in 15 years according to the numbers.
    https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/mitsub...sales-figures/

They really need a bigger 4x4 SUV or truck to get more sales. They could bring the Triton over but not the L200. The L200 would be subject to the chicken tariff.
    Why would the Triton name be treated differently than the L200 name?