Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes a car “fun to drive” to you?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I drive my CVT like a manual also, downshifting into “B” which is now called “L” all the time. No Ds mode for the 2014-2015’s. These CVT’s hate heat and dirty fluid so hyper-vigilance on fluid and filter changes would be highly recommended.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I drive my CVT like a manual also, downshifting into “B” which is now called “L” all the time. No Ds mode for the 2014-2015’s. These CVT’s hate heat and dirty fluid so hyper-vigilance on fluid and filter changes would be highly recommended.
    I’m confused. Isn’t B mode engine braking, which should only be used to go downhill or uphill?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    “B” is the same as “L”. They just renamed it. You can do 70 in “B”. Put in “L” next time at a stop and just floor it and leave it in “L” until you hit 60 then upshift into “D” without letting off the throttle. Scoots along quite nicely.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I'm with those who say a manual makes any vehicle fun (or at least "interesting") to drive.

Good handling characteristics are a nice bonus.

I had a chance to drive an Audi R8 a couple of months ago and I turned it down because it had the auto box. But I'd jump at the chance to drive a dump truck if it had a stick.

Having said that, I also get a kick out of Toyota's hybrid system. There's so much going on there between the engine, electric motors and planetary gearset transmission, it's fun figuring out how to get the most of it (speaking of MPG of course).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    “B” is the same as “L”. They just renamed it. You can do 70 in “B”. Put in “L” next time at a stop and just floor it and leave it in “L” until you hit 60 then upshift into “D” without letting off the throttle. Scoots along quite nicely.
    I have B in my car as well, but from my understanding, it’s engine braking mode that makes the car slower for going downhill?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    I have B in my car as well, but from my understanding, it’s engine braking mode that makes the car slower for going downhill?
    They just call it that. It's just the lower gear range in the 2 speed CVT.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is there any research on how not changing ratios vs changing ratios effect life of the tranny.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Is there any research on how not changing ratios vs changing ratios effect life of the tranny.
    I’d like to know this also. I don’t think engine braking should be use frequently when not necessary, because otherwise they wouldn’t make D and B modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Doubtful, at least for the cvt's in these cars. Our first failure was in a car that was used only on the highway 60-70mph. It failed at 300,000kms. Every other one I saw was used at lower speed, and more stop and go use, they failed about 100,000kms earlier. The longest lasting one is around 350,000kms so far, it was mainly used on the highway for the first 3 years or so and now in the city.

So saying a highway only car will kill the cvt is load of ****. The only failure I've seen really was a bearing that turns the second the engine is started so I'll leave that at that.

Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    I’d like to know this also. I don’t think engine braking should be use frequently when not necessary, because otherwise they wouldn’t make D and B modes.
    This is based on what? Do you have any backing to your claim or???

Heat and dirty fluid kill anything that has oil in it. Not just cvt's. It's not rocket appliances.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    This is based on what? Do you have any backing to your claim or???
    Nope, no backing. And I did not make any claim? I don't know anything about the effect of changing ratios on the life of the transmission, that's why I wanted to see what knowledge inuvik has. According to the manual, it says B mode "is for use when light engine braking at high-speed is needed, or driving up very steep hills and for engine braking at low speeds when descending steep gradients."