Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THINKING of buying. Go for- A manual or an automatic??

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

THINKING of buying. Go for- A manual or an automatic??

Hi, new here. I can't explain why I have a fascination with this tiny car. I like it because it is different and it gets amazing gas mileage. How is the CVT in regards to reliability? Should I buy a manual? Thanks for your input. -Brad

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    CVT seems reliable enough of you keep up with regular maintenance and learn its quirks. But, if you know how to drive a manual... Just get a manual and be happy.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Basic (08-03-2020),MacClyver (08-05-2020),Pryme (08-03-2020),Subcompact Culture (08-02-2020),Top_Fuel (08-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Hi, new here. I can't explain why I have a fascination with this tiny car. I like it because it is different and it gets amazing gas mileage. How is the CVT in regards to reliability? Should I buy a manual? Thanks for your input. -Brad
    Hello Brad and welcome to the forum.

The manual version certainly has it's proponents here on the forum, myself included. So expect to be persuaded in that direction.

The CVT design gets some bad press in many other cars but seems to hold up fairly well in this generation Mirage, with a few exceptions that can be found here on the forum. I wouldn't steer someone away from a CVT if they were only interested in avoiding doing their own shifting. Some drivers are just done with manuals, and I can understand that.

I would advise you to get the manual transmission if you already know how to operate one and don't mind shifting your own gears. They are simpler and easier to maintain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Test drive both. The CVT was a big NO for me. The manual drives like another car. Quieter, responsive and fun. Add 185/55r15 wheels and it becomes a great little car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello Brad and welcome to the forum.

The manual version certainly has it's proponents here on the forum, myself included. So expect to be persuaded in that direction.

The CVT design gets some bad press in many other cars but seems to hold up fairly well in this generation Mirage, with a few exceptions that can be found here on the forum. I wouldn't steer someone away from a CVT if they were only interested in avoiding doing their own shifting. Some drivers are just done with manuals, and I can understand that.

I would advise you to get the manual transmission if you already know how to operate one and don't mind shifting your own gears. They are simpler and easier to maintain.
    Thank you

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. Where would be the best place to purchase larger wheels?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Thanks. Where would be the best place to purchase larger wheels?
    There are lots of options, don't forget used.

Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Wheels: What Else Fits the Mirage? (With photos)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'd recommend manual. I've owned my own manual 2014 Mirage since, well, 2014, and I find for rainy conditions or snowy conditions, being able to go to a lower gear makes me feel safer.

Other benefits to manual too, like using the clutch to slow down. Can be jerky in heavy traffic urban conditions, but that's with all manuals. So, depends on your use. My commute is all rural roads with no traffic and my Mirage ES manual is perfect for the job. Narrow tires do help in the winter.

Mirage is a nice little car. And I think all little cars benefit from manual trannys. They're said to last longer to boot.

Last edited by dspace9; 08-02-2020 at 09:17 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)