Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little off topic, but Mitsubishi related.

Don't forget about the Ramapge Attachment 18860

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Don't forget about the Ramapge Attachment 18860
    HECK YES! The Rampage was sooo cool looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    Exactly. I still own a VW Rabbit Pickup
    Wow!

I owned half a dozen Rabbits when I was in high school & university, all body styles except the pickup. I missed out.

You will be rewarded if/when you ever sell. Values are only going up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    Exactly. I still own a VW Rabbit Pickup and I used my old one (2001-2013) as a work truck, constantly loading it to the gills with lumber, concrete and even putting my John boat in it from time to time.

Advertising has convinced the American public that they "Need" a big truck to do work. Not for me!

Attachment 18859

I used it for remodeling my old house, as a way to make extra money by landscaping (Yes a riding mower will fit!). Don't get me wrong. I REALLY wanted a larger truck like the Mighty Max somedays, but it got and gets the job done.
    That's a cool pic of your VW Rabbit pickup.

I honestly believe a company that has a smaller presence in the States needs to offer a couple vehicles that fill a niche other larger companies are overlooking or ignoring.

A prime example would be the long standing Mazda Miata. Mazda vehicles have changed over the years, but the Miata has stood the test of time. Outside of the brief period of the Honda S2000, the Miata fills a niche many companies are ignoring.

Wedging the Eclipse Cross between their Outlander & Outlander Sport wasn't going to draw many new customers into a Mitsubishi showroom. It may have pulled away some sales of their existing models, but is that a goal of creating a new model?

I believe a vehicle outside the realm of the Outlander Sport & Outlander would have been a bigger hit. In all honesty, I don't remember the Rabbit pickup trucks, because S-10 & Rangers dominated the market. I believe there is a market for smaller trucks, but they need to be more basic & affordable. At first glance, I can't tell the difference between a new Colorado/Silverado or a Ranger/F-150 these days. Price-wise, it hards to justify the smaller truck in some cases.

I don't think it would be that hard to make small pickup that could compete with the Jeep Renegade for about 1/2 or 2/3 the cost. Keep it simple, use their 2.4L or 3.0 L engines, & offer a very affordable 4WD manual base model, because NO ONE IS DOING IT!

Personally, I am a trailer guy. If Mitsubishi brought back the late 1990's vintage Montero Sport (body on frame) vehicles that could tow a boat, medium trailer load, or small camper, that would interest me more than a small pickup truck. Sell it way under the price of today's Toyota 4Runner, & you would have some new customers visiting showrooms.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...81474979939794

If Mitsubishi produces a product similar (price-wise) to Toyota or Honda, I am buying the Toyota or Honda. Mitsubishi may want to fill a few areas others are ignoring in the auto market. The Suzuki Jimny has been a hit, but we don't have Suzuki here. Mitsubishi fill that void for us!
    Last edited by Mark; 08-05-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A Mitsubishi truck would be awesome. Seeing the other Mitsu trucks released around the world, those trucks look amazing. But at the same time, Mitsubishi would be competing against a lot of really well-known trucks too. Unless they are competing against the "smaller" trucks (Like the Tacoma, Ridgeline, etc). As much as I would love to get a Mitsubishi truck, I'm not sure if there's a profitable market for them here in the states...I guess it just really depends what kind of engine(s) they're throwing into it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

I don't see the point of all these medium sized trucks like the new ranger, Colorado, Mitsubishi overseas truck.....Most seem to have a pretty useless ridiculously short bed. Which might be okay if you move the odd appliance, chair or short pieces of lumber around.

I do see the point of a smaller fwd or awd smaller "truck" like the old rabbit/brat/rampage. More fuel efficient, and cheaper to buy than a full size pickup. There really aren't any small usefull cheap compact trucks around anymore.

The starting price for a new Ranger is more than an F150. I just did a build and price for a new Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger and Gmc Canyon...None of them offer a regular cab. The Cheapest tacoma starts at $37,000, Frontier shows starting at 25,000.

I'm guessing most people buy trucks to feel cool, safer or to be able to sit up higher and see stuff like all the other trucks?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

If I won the lottery, I'd buy a 1/2 ton truck.

I need to move a 5000 lbs boat+trailer 2 or 3 times a year, and I hate asking friends for theirs (even though they are rewarded with gas or beer).

We used to do the job with my brother's old Ridgeline, but someone slid into him in a snow storm and it got written off. He replaced it with something more fuel efficient, but half the tow rating.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah the great small truck debate. I'd argue there aren't any small trucks left on the U.S. market; only mid-sized versions. I do think Mitsubishi is missing the boat by not having the Triton here in North America, but the previous comment about Chicken Tax is spot on. Unless Mitsubishi could make it here, it ain't gonna happen.

UTE: Brat. Baja. Rampage. Rabbit Pickup. El Camino. Ranchero. What do they all have in common other than they're car based? They're no longer offered. I think if the automakers thought there was a market, they'd already be selling them. A Honda Ridgeline is the closest thing you'll get to a ute in the North America. And frankly, it's enough "truck" for most people. I'm not talking about pople who tow big trailers regularly, or those who run a contracting business, etc. I'm talking about the people who own a pickup truck who rarely use it and instead employ it as a daily driver or to take the kids to soccer practice. A Ridgeline will do all that, be easier and more comfortable to drive, and get better fuel economy. But Americans love thier big trucks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm guessing most people buy trucks to feel cool, safer or to be able to sit up higher and see stuff like all the other trucks?
    Luxurious toy haulers sell these days.

Sign of the times - enjoy them while you can.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

What about the short lived envoy xuv lol Attachment 18866 For those times you have to carry some weird bookcase cabinet thing and bring the entire family to watch.

Mirage videos: