Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little off topic, but Mitsubishi related.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A little off topic, but Mitsubishi related.

I was reading another thread about the future of Mitsubishi in the USA, and I had a thought.

There is a segment that is totally ignored in the USA right now and Mitsubishi used to make one heck of one.

The COMPACT Truck!

I know Mitsubishi has the Rebadged Chevy Colorado, but I don't mean that one. I mean if They wanted to build an genuine replacement for the Mighty Max, Same size, but with some modern options and engines, I feel like they would sell like hot cakes. It's getting harder and harder to find decent compact trucks here used as they all died off around 2000. I have a Toyota T100 and I consider it to be a full size, but if you park it next to a new Toyota Tacoma, the Taco is larger!

Isuzzu and Mitsubishi both made some great mini trucks back in the 90's and I'd love to see them do it again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Mitsubishi still makes pickups, they just don't sell them here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    I was reading another thread about the future of Mitsubishi in the USA, and I had a thought.

There is a segment that is totally ignored in the USA right now and Mitsubishi used to make one heck of one.

The COMPACT Truck!

I know Mitsubishi has the Rebadged Chevy Colorado, but I don't mean that one. I mean if They wanted to build an genuine replacement for the Mighty Max, Same size, but with some modern options and engines, I feel like they would sell like hot cakes. It's getting harder and harder to find decent compact trucks here used as they all died off around 2000. I have a Toyota T100 and I consider it to be a full size, but if you park it next to a new Toyota Tacoma, the Taco is larger!

Isuzzu and Mitsubishi both made some great mini trucks back in the 90's and I'd love to see them do it again!
    Mitsubishi still makes a compact pickup. They sell it in Australia and elsewhere. It's called the Triton. Here's a link to the truck's website: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/triton

I think they changed some stuff with the Triton for 2020. Anyway, I don't think this is a Colorado clone, but could be wrong on this one. The manual transmission with the diesel engine is a cool combo. I also like the 2 door version. 2 door truck... what a rare concept these days.

Name:  hero-triton-2019-sccc-glx-white.png
Views: 373
Size:  86.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mitsubishi still makes a compact pickup. They sell it in Australia and elsewhere. It's called the Triton. Here's a link to the truck's website: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/triton

I think they changed some stuff with the Triton for 2020. Anyway, I don't think this is a Colorado clone, but could be wrong on this one. The manual transmission with the diesel engine is a cool combo. I also like the 2 door version. 2 door truck... what a rare concept these days.

Name:  hero-triton-2019-sccc-glx-white.png
Views: 373
Size:  86.3 KB

It's not a Colorado clone. The old Raider from early 2000's was a Dakota clone.

Ford and Ram will have compact pickups, front wheel drive unibody in no time.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

The COMPACT Truck!

The Mitsubishi pickup truck (various names used all over the world) has been on the market since 1978. The Triton is a 5th generation (2015-present) truck. It would take a 3rd generation (1996-2006) Mitsubishi pickup to trip my trigger. Trucks were just simpler and appear more rugged back then. Today's trucks (Triton included) wouldn't interest me that much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Triton

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Ford and Ram will have compact pickups, front wheel drive unibody in no time.
    If the new compact Ford truck is anything like the pics I have seen, I don't see it selling well. Imagine pulling into a lumber yard with something like that (low profile tires & hardly no box in the back). Men with real trucks would just make fun of you!

https://jalopnik.com/the-new-compact...r-t-1844596442

I'm sorry but the Ford truck in the that pics looks pitiful/useless to me! I think my cheap UTV has a bigger box?
    Last edited by Mark; 08-04-2020 at 05:00 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

The COMPACT Truck!

I think they would need to build it here because of the Chicken Tax, but yes, a truly compact truck would be awesome. I for one would love the Subaru Baja to come back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Yep, Chicken Tax means we will not see the Mitsubishi Triton here (Ford might have an issue with the name). Best we can hope for is a Mitsubishi-badged version of the Nissan Frontier or Titan.

But I would love it if Mitsubishi would make a SMALL, SMALL pickup truck and sell it here. Like, "1980s Toyota" small.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Basic (08-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would buy a Mirage Ute all day, and I think a lot of people would as well. VW Caddys (Rabbit pickup) sold like the devil, and I guarantee the idea of a 45 mpg compact pickup is appealing to more people than they even realize...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I would buy a Mirage Ute all day, and I think a lot of people would as well. VW Caddys (Rabbit pickup) sold like the devil, and I guarantee the idea of a 45 mpg compact pickup is appealing to more people than they even realize...
    Exactly. I still own a VW Rabbit Pickup and I used my old one (2001-2013) as a work truck, constantly loading it to the gills with lumber, concrete and even putting my John boat in it from time to time.

Advertising has convinced the American public that they "Need" a big truck to do work. Not for me!

Name:  107968190_10220547945542339_5205119651691498457_o.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  102.6 KB

I used it for remodeling my old house, as a way to make extra money by landscaping (Yes a riding mower will fit!). Don't get me wrong. I REALLY wanted a larger truck like the Mighty Max somedays, but it got and gets the job done.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrfixit For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-12-2021),MetroMPG (08-04-2020)