Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CVT owners respond/ I cant drive 55!

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    I have a 2019 Space Star CVT I bought new a month ago. Around where I live, the speed limit on the highway is 100km/h (about 60mph) near the city and outside the city it gets up to 120km/h (about 75mph). On my drive this morning I watched my RPMs at 100km/h and it was pretty consistent between 2,000 and 2,500 (using cruise control).

Next time I am in a 120km/h zone I'll see what the RPMs are, but I did just do a 500km trip last week and the only time I felt the RPMs were really high was when I was going up some back roads in the mountains.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acronychal View Post
    I have a 2019 Space Star CVT I bought new a month ago. Around where I live, the speed limit on the highway is 100km/h (about 60mph) near the city and outside the city it gets up to 120km/h (about 75mph). On my drive this morning I watched my RPMs at 100km/h and it was pretty consistent between 2,000 and 2,500 (using cruise control).

Next time I am in a 120km/h zone I'll see what the RPMs are, but I did just do a 500km trip last week and the only time I felt the RPMs were really high was when I was going up some back roads in the mountains.
    Whoa a European driving an automatic? Your a rare bird.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Whoa a European driving an automatic? Your a rare bird.
    Well, I live in Europe but am not European. The main reason I got the CVT was because my wife also needs to drive the car and she can't drive a manual transmission (and has no desire to learn). So I didn't have much choice. While the manual might have a little more go to it, I actually don't mind the CVT. It is much easier to drive in traffic.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acronychal View Post
    Well, I live in Europe but am not European. The main reason I got the CVT was because my wife also needs to drive the car and she can't drive a manual transmission (and has no desire to learn). So I didn't have much choice. While the manual might have a little more go to it, I actually don't mind the CVT. It is much easier to drive in traffic.
    That it is.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have no trouble keeping the rpms under 3k on freeway. I keep an eye on it and try to stay at 2k when its flat and try to not go over 3k on an incline. On very steep inclines I can't really do anything about rpm.

All I can say is only go 5mph over speed limit on freeway. No faster than 70mph.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I have no trouble keeping the rpms under 3k on freeway. I keep an eye on it and try to stay at 2k when its flat and try to not go over 3k on an incline. On very steep inclines I can't really do anything about rpm.

All I can say is only go 5mph over speed limit on freeway. No faster than 70mph.
    A 5-speed manual is @ 3,000 rpm @ 60 mph. I drive that speed all the time on our rural Wisconsin county highways. 3,000-4,000 rpm is not a concern for these engines.