Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Got Boost to my 3A92!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Finally Got Boost to my 3A92!

I’m sending boost to my mirage engine with an amr500 that so far is capable of 7 psi (at least). I’d like to get it to higher pressure range but haven’t seen to many people boosting the Mirage 1.2L
    So i’m not sure what timing to run to keep it stable at 7psi...

Here’s a link if you wana hear it https://instagram.com/p/CDr9_dzlvZy/

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DirtGearTv For This Useful Post:

2of9 (08-13-2020),Basic (08-12-2020),Cobrajet (08-12-2020),gone.a (10-01-2020),Loren (08-12-2020),Marklovski (08-13-2020),mohammad (07-30-2021),Top_Fuel (08-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtGearTv View Post
    I’m sending boost to my mirage engine with an amr500 that so far is capable of 7 psi (at least). I’d like to get it to higher pressure range but haven’t seen to many people boosting the Mirage 1.2L
    So i’m not sure what timing to run to keep it stable at 7psi...

Here’s a link if you wana hear it https://instagram.com/p/CDr9_dzlvZy/
    Yep, I need that noise in my life... we need pics of the manifold and the setup please! What management are you using?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's awesome! What are you using to tune?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Looks like megasquirt to me. My oem ECU maxes out at about 16 degrees at WOT. Seeing as it's a quick burn combustion chamber, I would pull at least .5 degrees per psi of boost.

Regarding max boost amount, there are not enough boosted Mirages out there to know what the maximum amount is. From my experience from other engines, I've had no issues running upwards of 18psi on powdered rods in my turbo neons. The high compression of the Mirage motor might be a factor, but your tune is more important than the strength of the parts. Detonation will lead to a death much quicker than simply overstessing stock internals with a good tune.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I’d get some pics up, if y’all want to see the full build it’s all on my Youtube Channel “DirtGearTv”.

Yes it’s an MS3X setup.

Pimp- 16 degrees at WOT 😳 Thats it? I guess that would explain the knock issues i’ve heard when I was running 30+ degrees before it was boosted. If that’s true it’s very interesting, and If be running WAY too much.

I realize the 10:5-1 is high for any boost, so I’m tossing around the idea of going E85. I’d like to get 10psi without det...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    Looks like megasquirt to me. My oem ECU maxes out at about 16 degrees at WOT. Seeing as it's a quick burn combustion chamber, I would pull at least .5 degrees per psi of boost.

Regarding max boost amount, there are not enough boosted Mirages out there to know what the maximum amount is. From my experience from other engines, I've had no issues running upwards of 18psi on powdered rods in my turbo neons. The high compression of the Mirage motor might be a factor, but your tune is more important than the strength of the parts. Detonation will lead to a death much quicker than simply overstessing stock internals with a good tune.
    How are you measuring your timing, are you just checking it with timing light during operation? 16 degrees is awfully low for NA

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm getting it from a scan tool. Would be awfully hard to do a wot pull and check timing with timing light.

These engines have very fast burn combustion chambers. Along with the fast flame front, the chamber is very small, high compression, and AFR stays stoich at WOT with a closed loop fuel trim. 16 degrees is probably right in this situation.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp_Daddy_Patty View Post
    I'm getting it from a scan tool. Would be awfully hard to do a wot pull and check timing with timing light.

These engines have very fast burn combustion chambers. Along with the fast flame front, the chamber is very small, high compression, and AFR stays stoich at WOT with a closed loop fuel trim. 16 degrees is probably right in this situation.
    You mean you’ve never strapped a kid to the hood with a timing light for a quick 1/8th mile? I was thinking more like on a dyno... 🤪

I must admit the ignition table has been the most difficult thing in trying to tune even before the boost, so this really is like a light bulb going off for me.

The 16 you’re reading is redline or what rpm aprox?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That 16 could be advance over whatever the base timing is. (10?)

And, also remember that there is VVT going on. They might be advancing cam timing via the VVT on top of the base ignition timing.

If you were getting ping while NA... I'd disconnect the boost and tune it to where you're just barely NOT getting ping while NA. And then back it off another degree. And THEN start reducing timing according to how much boost you add.

Better to dyno tune, of course. But, if you're careful and tune CONSERVATIVELY, you can tune timing by ear. The dyno just lets you find "the ragged edge" for max performance a lot easier.

I've tuned a few cars with Megasquirt. The one I did most thoroughly and completely was a friend's turbo 1.6 Miata. He had me tune it at something up to like 12 psi, but then we dialed it back to 8 psi after tuning. Timing can do SO MUCH for throttle response in the mid-range. It was fun to play with.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice that someone got to using the amr500.

I'm not going to do this but how would someone do a tune without a dyno on a CVT. I see Civic guys doing it but they don't really explain how.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire