Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JD Power Initial Quality ranks Mitsubishi 6th place, up from 30th last year

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

JD Power Initial Quality ranks Mitsubishi 6th place, up from 30th last year

Turns out that Mitsubishi has broken a record with this year's JD Power Initial quality study. In a good way. Mitsu went from 30th place in brand initial quality last year, to a record 6th place this year. You have to read through seven paragraphs to get to the blurb about Mitsubishi:

https://driving.ca/dodge/auto-news/n...tudy-tying-kia

I'll quote the good part:

"If that wasn’t enough of an upset for you, the most-improved-year-over-year manufacturer for 2020 was, of all brands, Mitsubishi, moving from 30th place in 2019 up to spot number six. That made it the best Japanese automaker in the IQS report this year. Like Dodge, Mitsubishi’s line-up is not the freshest, which may explain how it, too, has ironed out all the bugs from its platforms."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The news article mentions the JD Power report but doesn't link or otherwise refer to it? Or did I miss the link somewhere...

Kinda old now.
    24 June 2020 | Press Release
    New-Vehicle Quality Mainly Dependent on Trouble-Free Technology, J.D. Power Finds
    Dodge and Kia Rank Highest in a Tie for Overall Initial Quality; Genesis Ranks Highest among Premium Brands; Tesla Profiled for First Time

Some useful tidbits:
    Japanese brands fail to regain footing: Once regarded as the gold standard in quality, most Japanese brands have not improved as fast as competitors have and they continue to trail most Korean and domestic brands. Mitsubishi (148 PP100), Lexus (159 PP100) and Nissan (161 PP100) are the only Japanese brands to rank above industry average. “W. Edwards Deming said, ‘Quality is to fulfill the requirements of customers and satisfy them,’ and Japanese automakers excelled at this for quite some time,” Sargent said. “But some other automakers have surpassed them in recent years by understanding better what quality means for today’s owners.”
    What??
    Chevrolet Sonic achieves the best score of any model: The Chevrolet Sonic, with just 103 PP100, has the best score of any model in this year’s study.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-16-2020 at 06:09 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

Some useful tidbits:

What??
    Yea I dunno eh, the site is one of the better automobile reviewer sites in Canada. I think Driving.ca got bought out by National Post a few years ago. Conrad Black's newspaper. Anyway, good news is good for Mitsubishi right now. Because sales must be hurting.

Point is, a lot of the Mitsubishi lineup is actually pretty bulletproof. The Outlander PHEV has been a big seller globally, and a hybrid vehicle that doesn't seem to compromise on anything. My Mirage has been good overall 6.5+ years on.

Still, not sure about JD Power. I'm not sure how the Spark is their most reliable car. At the end of the day, for Mitsubishi to come on top of all the Japanese brands ...is impressive.

Have to take it with a grain of salt with any review.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Yea I dunno eh, the site is one of the better automobile reviewer sites in Canada. I think Driving.ca got bought out by National Post a few years ago. Conrad Black's newspaper. Anyway, good news is good for Mitsubishi right now. Because sales must be hurting.

Point is, a lot of the Mitsubishi lineup is actually pretty bulletproof. The Outlander PHEV has been a big seller globally, and a hybrid vehicle that doesn't seem to compromise on anything. My Mirage has been good overall 6.5+ years on.

Still, not sure about JD Power. I'm not sure how the Spark is their most reliable car. At the end of the day, for Mitsubishi to come on top of all the Japanese brands ...is impressive.

Have to take it with a grain of salt with any review.
    Chevrolet has been using JD Power to endorse their vehicles for years. I wouldn't put any stock in JD Power.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Chevrolet has been using JD Power to endorse their vehicles for years. I wouldn't put any stock in JD Power.
    I never knew that about JD Power. If they are endorsing Chevrolet, then I'm sure Ford is at the bottom of their list.
    Last edited by dspace9; 08-16-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Initial Quality doesn't mean much. JD Power and Consumer Reports don't really have valuable opinions in my opinion.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Initial Quality doesn't mean much. JD Power and Consumer Reports don't really have valuable opinions in my opinion.
    Long-term reliability is more valuable.

I thought Consumer Reports bought the car or appliance, and tested the product for 3 years? Real world conditions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Only if you're keeping long term.

If you get a new lease every three years long term studies don't matter as much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Dont they base reliability off of warranty work data and not differentiate between a window not rolling down vs a blown headgasket for example? Just compare the flat number of incidents?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

I thought Consumer Reports bought the car or appliance, and tested the product for 3 years? Real world conditions.
    Consumer Reports base reliability on their customers filling out long detailed surveys on cars, appliances, or whatever. If they are stating the reliability of new 2020 model, it's based on previous models. If they question reliability on something new, they may not recommend it the first year or two.

I put zero value in JD Power's opinion of anything. Consumer Reports is a bit better, but I don't value their reports any more either. They have been really wrong about a few vehicles, and they are not good about admitting that. Thus, they lost my respect many years ago. If I was buying a toaster, I would respect their opinion on that. Who wants to be stuck with a bad $20 toaster?

If you're leasing a vehicle, who cares about reliability? It's not your worry, unless you want to buy the vehicle when the lease is up.

Economy cars - I like my 2017 Mirage ES manual. There's nothing on the market that I like better 3 years later.

Besides owing an affordable, reliable, economy car, I like owning a non-turbo, AWD/4WD, manual vehicle. I need something that can tug a trailer with loads like the one below. I spent the past two days helping a friend put in food plots, & my little Bolens (Mitsubishi diesel engine) worked hard breaking new ground.

Not liking the current market of vehicle makes me just appreciate what I have. I bought a Mirage to extend the life of my Forester, and it does that quite well. I just did the math. Since purchasing my Mirage, it has taken care of 90% of my yearly mileage. There are times when I need that 10% from my Forester like these past couple days.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark; 08-17-2020 at 02:37 AM.