Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JD Power Initial Quality ranks Mitsubishi 6th place, up from 30th last year

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Consumer Reports base reliability on their customers filling out long detailed surveys on cars, appliances, or whatever. If they are stating the reliability of new 2020 model, it's based on previous models. If they question reliability on something new, they may not recommend it the first year or two.

I put zero value in JD Power's opinion of anything. Consumer Reports is a bit better, but I don't value their reports any more either. They have been really wrong about a few vehicles, and they are not good about admitting that. Thus, they lost my respect many years ago. If I was buying a toaster, I would respect their opinion on that. Who wants to be stuck with a bad $20 toaster?

If you're leasing a vehicle, who cares about reliability? It's not your worry, unless you want to buy the vehicle when the lease is up.

Economy cars - I like my 2017 Mirage ES manual. There's nothing on the market that I like better 3 years later.

Besides owing an affordable, reliable, economy car, I like owning a non-turbo, AWD/4WD, manual vehicle. I need something that can tug a trailer with loads like the one below. I spent the past two days helping a friend put in food plots, & my little Bolens (Mitsubishi diesel engine) worked hard breaking new ground.

Not liking the current market of vehicle makes me just appreciate what I have. I bought a Mirage to extend the life of my Forester, and it does that quite well. I just did the math. Since purchasing my Mirage, it has taken care of 90% of my yearly mileage. There are times when I need that 10% from my Forester like these past couple days.
    Good looking Forester

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Not liking the current market of vehicle makes me just appreciate what I have. I bought a Mirage to extend the life of my Forester, and it does that quite well. I just did the math. Since purchasing my Mirage, it has taken care of 90% of my yearly mileage. There are times when I need that 10% from my Forester like these past couple days.
    I just like to get a ballpark of what's a good car. I have owned only 3 cars in 20 years, so whatever I buy I seem to keep on average 6.7 years. And my car lifetimes have been spaced out like that.

I was floating the idea of replacing my Mirage partly because it's my only car I own for over 6 years. And like Dirk said, I had issues with my Mirage and dealer that were pretty brutal. Still, my Mirage is fixed and running great now, so sticking with my car for 5 years is my plan.

But I want a ball park of what's good out there in the car market. Not a leasing person. Seems like the big name consumer bureau's are bunk. Maybe a sorta Better Business Bureau, but for cars is what they need.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I just like to get a ballpark of what's a good car.
    When you figure that out, let us all know!

If I wanted a new affordable, reliable, economical car today, I would do my best to find a 2019 Mirage ES manual somewhere. If that couldn't be found, I would settle for a 2020 Mirage ES manual.

I know that is not being very helpful, but this is coming from someone who hangs around on a Mirage forum site.

I value the three traits in bold, & I am not willing to compromise on a vehicle that doesn't have a manual transmission.

If someone sold a more reliable, more economical car with a manual transmission for less money than a Mirage, I would be interested in that some day.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree. And the newest Mirage's have too much tech.

Manual is the only option for me as well. Especially with small cars. I don't mean disrespect to the CVT scene on the Forum. Autos just seem like an add on for the US market, for small cars best utilized with a stick. I know that's a generalization, but still.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)