Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daytime running lights in headlights hidden function

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Canaduh also has an epidemic of dumb people who drive around at night with ONLY their DRL's on -- NO side or tail lights.

Because some car's DRLs are headlights only, and are juuuust bright enough to let the driver think their full lights are on.

Because you can't fix stupid, there's a new rule coming into effect requiring either a photo sensor (= full automatic lights + DRL), or that the instrument cluster has to remain dark if only the DRLs are on (as an interior cue to remind the driver to switch on full lights).
    Yesh. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post93682

Now if only they'd come up with pothole avoidance. I hit a good one this morning.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Canaduh also has an epidemic of dumb people who drive around at night with ONLY their DRL's on -- NO side or tail lights.

Because some car's DRLs are headlights only, and are juuuust bright enough to let the driver think their full lights are on.

Because you can't fix stupid, there's a new rule coming into effect requiring either a photo sensor (= full automatic lights + DRL), or that the instrument cluster has to remain dark if only the DRLs are on (as an interior cue to remind the driver to switch on full lights).
    Most GM vehicles have DRL with automatic headlights. There's a sensor on the dash that regulates the headlights coming on. You have the choice of off, parking lights on, headlights on, or auto headlights. All my parents', brother's, & my driver's ed. GM vehicles (Chevy & GMC) are the same. Most set it to auto headlights and never touch the switch again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Some companies have DRL on all their vehicles. My Forester has DRL, & I can't turn them off. Most GM vehicles have DRL, too.
    My dad's 2003 GMC Sierra (now mine) had DRL's. You could disable them, but you had to do it each time the vehicle was cranked. That annoyed me, so I murdered them. I took the specific DRL bulbs out, snipped their tin plated leads, and put them back in. I put them back in to slow or stop condensation build up. So far so good. The truck looks way mo' bettuh without the lights on in the daytime.

Because you can't fix stupid...
    A major cause of this DRL only, or even no headlights (in the U.S.) is due to the lighting of the instrument cluster and infotainment of new cars. Back in the good ole days, the interior lights ONLY came on when the headlights were switched ON. Made perfect sense, worked well. You got inside and couldn't read the speedometer because it was too dark, suddenly you realize your headlights are not on. But today, the race to have a 60" screen mounted on the dash that lights up and keeps a person thinking about their text messages, well they light up night and day. So a person now can read their lit up instrument console (which is more and more common to be a well lit digital display), as well as their 60" flat screen in the dash.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

klroger (02-02-2022),MetroMPG (02-01-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Back in the good ole days, the interior lights ONLY came on when the headlights were switched ON. Made perfect sense, worked well.
    This statement just described my 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage. No headlights = no dash lights = best system ever.

My Forester has DRL. It has a headlights symbol on the dash, and second tiny blue light that goes by the rear view mirror when the headlights are turned on.

The simplicity of the Mirage is better! If I accidentally leave my headlights on, the car doesn't go dead. I like that, too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-04-2022)