Thread: Having trouble with my Mass Flow Sensor

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Having trouble with my Mass Flow Sensor

So I started my car this morning to go to work and when I did, it started, then immediately stalled. I'm like uhhh what? Tried it again, did the same thing, same for the third time. So I used my OBD reader and found the code P0113 Intake Air Temperature High Circuit. Last night, I took apart the custom MAF sensor housing that has the air filter attached to it to wash it and then after the filter was dry I put it on like I had it. Just wonder if maybe I accidentally bumped the sensor hard enough to mess it up?

Tests: When I used the Torque app, it was showing that the air temperature was around 82.7, my garage is in the 90s which makes me think it could be the sensor. The wires are just fine. And I'm checking the resistance in the sensor. At ambient temperatures it reads 1.831 OHMs. I stuck the sensor in the freezer, so if it doesn't change, the sensor is bad. Took it out, and it reads 3.23 OHMs.

So I have no idea on what is causing this. Any clues?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    A few members have had trouble with cables and wire harnesses. Check harnesses at places where they are fastened, or where wires merge with harnesses. Sometimes a single wire can be subject of mechanical stress and break and cause intermitant failure or be discontinued.

I'm not a fan of oiled filters in cars that use a maf. I used to use them in atvs but now I'm too lazy to clean, oil then wait for them to dry properly. I used to see lots of over oiled filters coating mass air flow sensors. But like foama said it's possible you have a broken wire(usually behind a zip tie in the harness) or a bent prong in the sensor itself(I've done it once).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ....I used to see lots of over oiled filters coating mass air flow sensors.
    GM put out at least a few TSBs about "K&N" type oiled filters describing that same condition.

Here's the info from the service manual for IAT testing...

Name:  MAF Location.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  IAT Location.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  85.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (08-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey guys, just an update. It was the sensor. Got a new OEM one and once installed, it ran just fine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnestovia For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnestovia View Post
    I took apart the custom MAF sensor housing that has the air filter attached to it to wash it and then after the filter was dry I put it on like I had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnestovia View Post
    Hey guys, just an update. It was the sensor. Got a new OEM one and once installed, it ran just fine.
    According to your Garage entry you are using a K&N air intake filter. It sounds like it contaminated and ruined your sensor. Are you going to keep your K&N filter or go back to stock?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)