Thread: Repairing Paint Chips & Rust Questions

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Repairing Paint Chips & Rust Questions

I have a couple of small paint-chipped spots on the hood & front of my Mirage, most around the size of half of an eraser on a pencil or smaller. Some of them look like there's a bit of rust, and I'd like to fix them ... I was thinking of picking up some Permatex Rust Dissolver Gel #81756 to dissolve the visible rust, then use stuff I'd get from automotivetouchup.com ...

Do I need all of these things from them?:

Surface Wipe
    2 oz Touch Up Bottle Grey Primer
    Touch Up Sandpaper Pack SNDP
    Micro Dabbers (100 pack)
    2 oz Touchup Bottle, 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage
    2 oz Touch Up Bottle High Gloss Clear Coat
    Rubbing Compound - 2oz

Thanks in advance

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-22-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    I have a couple of small paint-chipped spots on the hood & front of my Mirage, most around the size of half of an eraser on a pencil or smaller. Some of them look like there's a bit of rust, and I'd like to fix them ... I was thinking of picking up some Permatex Rust Dissolver Gel #81756 to dissolve the visible rust, then use stuff I'd get from automotivetouchup.com ...

Do I need all of these things from them?:
    I started building my purchase on the website store you mention. But I'm from Canada so ZIP code only residents.

You need 2 things for sure: the paint in your right colour, and the clear coat. Not sure what you need for application. Someone on here must've had a paint stick they bought new with their car - that is a big mistake with my own Mirage. I should have bought a paint stick or two with my new car purchase, back in '14.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If you plan on using the rust converter you will probably want a primer. Some say they can be used as a primer, but I've always put primer over it. Then you need your color. You can probably skip the clear as its already imperfect. FYI I am not a body guy at all. This is just what I've done in the past. Seems to work okay...

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)