Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MirageRally Side Skirts+Other things

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Cars and houses are your two biggest living costs, but only one is an investment. Your house just keeps going up in value, and a car does the exact opposite with depreciation.
    Yep. This is the main reason why I hold off pouring more money into a car - because I won't get it back. On top of that, some modifications will be more likely to reduce the resale value as opposed to something that has not been "customized". Installing air dams, huge spoiler wings and other appearance items really reduces the number of drivers willing to be seen driving the car, much less pay the going market value for the car. And the Mirage doesn't exactly sell based on it's appearance.

I myself would steer away from a car that has a spoiler or other body customizations as it would suggest the car has been driven hard and possibly abused. If I know a car was driven in a competitive environment, I would expect it to be worn out and/or damaged, and would want the sales price adjusted for the wear & tear. Not knowing if the seller would be honest and share a racing history on the car, these other clues would raise lots of red flags.

Some modifications really are like throwing hard-earned money away. Choose carefully. For example, rustproofing treatments add to the longevity and thus value (depending on location of course.) On the other hand, if you don't care about resale value, then by all means make it your own and enjoy it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-23-2020),MirageRally (08-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    l will hold off on additional modifications for now As $600 for a Rally wing that might not fit is not worth it to me...at this point l'd rather buy the R5 Rally car and call it a day If l did all these Modifications l'd certainly want more power instead of just appearance...if it talks the talk, l want it to walk the walk... the side skirts look good for me and what's nice is l have everything so if l sold it l'd put the chrome back on and grille back together But having a car that looks like a rally car, but can't perform?...yeah no 100% or nothing...but love the look of the car for now Looks like a "Sport Version" of the car.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    l will hold off on additional modifications for now As $600 for a Rally wing that might not fit is not worth it to me...at this point l'd rather buy the R5 Rally car and call it a day If l did all these Modifications l'd certainly want more power instead of just appearance...if it talks the talk, l want it to walk the walk... the side skirts look good for me and what's nice is l have everything so if l sold it l'd put the chrome back on and grille back together But having a car that looks like a rally car, but can't perform?...yeah no 100% or nothing...but love the look of the car for now Looks like a "Sport Version" of the car.
    In theory you could buy an R5 rally car. Import it from Sweden I believe, where it's built. Would be a lot of headache, and that's a track-only car I'm pretty sure.

Or if you have really deep pockets, in theory you could take the R5's powertrain, and add them to your current Mirage, and build a complete sleeper and full of Mitsubishi parts. Custom and not custom. Trust me, I have thought of this. The reason I bought my Mirage was because I beat a good chunk of Forza 4 on xbox 360 in a modified Mitsu Colt 2009...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (08-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In theory you could buy an R5 rally car. Import it from Sweden I believe, where it's built. Would be a lot of headache, and that's a track-only car I'm pretty sure.

Or if you have really deep pockets, in theory you could take the R5's powertrain, and add them to your current Mirage, and build a complete sleeper and full of Mitsubishi parts. Custom and not custom. Trust me, I have thought of this. The reason I bought my Mirage was because I beat a good chunk of Forza 4 on xbox 360 in a modified Mitsu Colt 2009...
    Hahaha man l still miss video games like gta5...highly modify a car and drift on public roads....that's the other side of car enthusiasts...we always want more power! 600hp?...no...make it 1000hp the problem is you don't want to go too far with mods to where your car's modifications cost more than the car is worth unless like eggman said you want to make it yours. l don't plan to track my car so it won't be abused...too badly Only thing l'm doing as of writing this is working on Rev-match Downshifting for easier acceleration around corners. That was my Main Reason for buying the Mirage is it's a great first Manual car for a teen or adult to learn on...and the fuel economy is a plus

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe do what I plan on, the Exotic car experience. My ticket is on my fridge. I chose 1 lap with a Ferrari F430. Just got postponed with the whole thing going on. Christmas 2019 present to myself I never got to use yet.

Anyway, I have a 5 speed manual Mirage myself. The Mirage is geared so the car actually slows down a smidgen as you go through the gears, and to speed. This is not a pocket rocket, but an economy-minded car.

That said, I like to know all the ins and outs of eking out a bit more power when needed. I anticipate the set and setting, and utilize the manual as I go. With hills I downshift, with winter weather I downshift (say 3rd instead of 4th gear), and overall lately I try not to have my Mirage in 5th gear unless I am truly cruising the freeway.

Weirdly I find my Mirage seems to fly sometimes, other times it seems slow as molasses.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (08-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe do what I plan on, the Exotic car experience. My ticket is on my fridge. I chose 1 lap with a Ferrari F430. Just got postponed with the whole thing going on. Christmas 2019 present to myself I never got to use yet.

Anyway, I have a 5 speed manual Mirage myself. The Mirage is geared so the car actually slows down a smidgen as you go through the gears, and to speed. This is not a pocket rocket, but an economy-minded car.

That said, I like to know all the ins and outs of eking out a bit more power when needed. I anticipate the set and setting, and utilize the manual as I go. With hills I downshift, with winter weather I downshift (say 3rd instead of 4th gear), and overall lately I try not to have my Mirage in 5th gear unless I am truly cruising the freeway.

Weirdly I find my Mirage seems to fly sometimes, other times it seems slow as molasses.
    l don't think l could drive an exotic...even with a driver next to me...all that speed...plus wot on track...all of my scenarios end up with me in a stretcher lol. l know what you mean about sometimes flying, other times so slow...l always have to think about downshifting which slows down my shifting time when l just need to blip throttle, downshift, then release clutch. My problem is l overthink...but with time l'll get better at it. Do you use All Season? Or have a set of Winter tires?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have a set of gently-used Dunlop endasave's 14". I've had 2 sets of those, and then one set of all-season Bridgestone Potenza 14", and they're bald now.

I have never had winter tires on my Mirage. But I have saved some money lately, and this winter I might finally splurge on a set of winters. Tires as well as everything else is harder to shop around for right now. I want the vredstein 14" winters, then leaning toward Pirelli winter 14".

With manuals, you are the transmission basically. So just get to "be one" with the car. Sounds like Nirvana stuff, but it's kinda true. You shouldn't think. Just let it come naturally.

You are overthinking it. 5 speed manual is simple. Ferrari should be interesting. I drive expensive vehicles at work, so I figure a GT style Ferrari is geared for the Beverly Hills crowd, I should be fine. Mid engine should sound neat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (08-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a set of gently-used Dunlop endasave's 14". I've had 2 sets of those, and then one set of all-season Bridgestone Potenza 14", and they're bald now.

I have never had winter tires on my Mirage. But I have saved some money lately, and this winter I might finally splurge on a set of winters. Tires as well as everything else is harder to shop around for right now. I want the vredstein 14" winters, then leaning toward Pirelli winter 14".

With manuals, you are the transmission basically. So just get to "be one" with the car. Sounds like Nirvana stuff, but it's kinda true. You shouldn't think. Just let it come naturally.

You are overthinking it. 5 speed manual is simple. Ferrari should be interesting. I drive expensive vehicles at work, so I figure a GT style Ferrari is geared for the Beverly Hills crowd, I should be fine. Mid engine should sound neat.
    Either way sounds fun my friend if you can record a video of it and post it...l'm sure others would love to see it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-23-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I will. People at work are wondering why I drive a Mitsubishi Mirage every day manual, and I chose automatic for my Exotic Car Experience. Bad scenario is why. I think automatic will just make things easier. Then the year after, I might step up to the Porsche manual. We will see. I want to look into Mazda Miata racing as well, but all my hobbies ideas end up expensive. Earlier today it was getting into horses. Then my goat yoga farm idea.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (08-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question

I will. People at work are wondering why I drive a Mitsubishi Mirage every day manual, and I chose automatic for my Exotic Car Experience. Bad scenario is why. I think automatic will just make things easier. Then the year after, I might step up to the Porsche manual. We will see. I want to look into Mazda Miata racing as well, but all my hobbies ideas end up expensive. Earlier today it was getting into horses. Then my goat yoga farm idea.
    Goat Yoga Farm? What's that? New way of dating Like doing yoga poses around animals? Awww heck no! l'm terrified of llamas lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-23-2020)