Thread: Carfax report ...... need help

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Carfax report ...... need help

Not Mirage related but need your help. I'm looking to get another Electric car Fiat 500e -- 2014 with 37k miles for 4500$ hard to pass up for the money. However when I ran the Carfax there was an Airbag deployment but per Carfax report "Vehicle was not damaged". Car has clean title.

I'm not certain how the airbag deployed without an accident. I've checked the car and there's no obvious sign of a collision. I'm obviously no expert but I could not find any obvious sign of an accident -- fender bolts untouched (paint marks still lined up), no sign of a repaint, panel gaps looks good, paint color consistent throughout the car. The car drives great -- didn't find any issues. I know my inspection was not very complete but I had limited time and I may have missed some things.

Any thoughts on how the airbag could have deployed without any kind of accident?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Shaft; 08-25-2020 at 08:34 AM.

I've never heard of that before.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

I've seen older vehicles (late 90's early 2000's) have bags go off with no body damage. 99ish caravan we bought at auction had both bags blown, got ahold of the previous owner and they said they pulled into a parking lot an boom bags detonated.

I tried pulling out a front end loader with a 2003ish F150, hooked to the hitch and blew off both air bags. That one was understandable it stopped dead in it's tracks once the chain got tight.

I've also seen wrecked cars hit hard, and rollovers where none of the airbags were deployed for some reason.

Anything is possible but I'd have a good look under the car for damage or take it to a body shop maybe and see if they'll be able to spot previous repairs. An insurance adjuster won't crawl under a car looking for damage, they barely even look at a car in person anymore and sometimes just ask for pictures. Maybe it was in an accident, front or rear, and there wan't cosmetic damage but the rebar or structure was? I dunno, that's a cheap car. If the doors all open and close fine and body lines line up, drives straight, no noticeable horky undercoating to cover up poor body work I wouldn't be too concerned.

Edit: just saw you already did most of what I suggested.
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-25-2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: stuff

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
    ...looking to get another Electric car Fiat 500e
    ...2014 with 37k miles for 4500$
    ...hard to pass up for the money.
    That seems pretty cheap. It doesn't sound like there was any obvious damage based on what you're seeing.

I think I'd be more concerned about the condition of the battery at this point. What's the battery life like in one of those things? Is the battery still under any warranty?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That seems pretty cheap. It doesn't sound like there was any obvious damage based on what you're seeing.

I think I'd be more concerned about the condition of the battery at this point. What's the battery life like in one of those things? Is the battery still under any warranty?
    I scanned the car's Battery State of Health and it's at 96% capacity.
    Battery warranty is 8 yrs/ 100k miles.

Pretty cheap for sure considering that I dont have to pay for gas and essentially maintenance free car. I'd be silly not to buy it. That's why this could be potentially my 3rd electric car.
    Last edited by Shaft; 08-25-2020 at 03:57 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaft For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    ...96% capacity. Battery warranty is 8 yrs/ 100k miles.
    Sounds like an even better deal now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I scanned the car's Battery State of Health and it's at 96% capacity.
    Battery warranty is 8 yrs/ 100k miles.

Pretty cheap for sure considering that I dont have to pay for gas and essentially maintenance free car. I'd be silly not to buy it. That's why this could be potentially my 3rd electric car.
    Attachment 19097

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)