Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: My 2014 mirage mpg is much lower than normal. Please help!

  1. #11
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    9,271
    Thanks
    3,826
    Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robertico View Post
    Hello I have a 2014 Mirage CVT SE that I bought new. I absolutely love my little car.

    I used to consistently get over 38 mgp in the city (often 40) and about 44-48 in the highway.
    For the past year I only get about 28-30 in the city and 40 in the highway.

    I religiously change the oil with full synthetic at the dealership, but I haven't done any other maintenance appart from tires and front brake pads.

    When I turn the engine on, the engine does seem to have a different sound. It doesn't seem in tune.

    My car now has 73 000 miles, and I have never done an engine tune-up.

    Could that be the cause of the decrease in fuel efficiency of my car? I was recommended to change the transmission fluid at the dealership. Should I do it? or what should I be checking or doing?

    Thank-you for all your help =)
    Hey robertico, any updates?


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.5 mpg (US) ... 21.0 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)


  2. #12
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    3,397
    Thanks
    1,181
    Thanked 659 Times in 500 Posts
    Well here's my update. After putting on those inch wider alloys, that are 1lb heavier, my mpg is still about the same. The highest mpg I've gotten was 38 mpg going 60 mph at 2500 rpms. If you drive fast or live in an area where your forced to like me, your not going to be getting low 40s anymore. I'm constantly at 3k rpms to keep up. I got tired of aggressive buttholes in F150s tailgaiting me and flashing their lights. I imagine a lot of Mirage owners in Atlanta are averaging mid 30s combined fuel economy, like I am. Gas is $2.50 a gallon now by me too. No more twenty dollar fill ups, but hey, this might drive Mirage sales up in the next couple of years.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    RC, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,256
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Well here's my update. After putting on those inch wider alloys, that are 1lb heavier, my mpg is still about the same. The highest mpg I've gotten was 38 mpg going 60 mph at 2500 rpms. If you drive fast or live in an area where your forced to like me, your not going to be getting low 40s anymore. I'm constantly at 3k rpms to keep up. I got tired of aggressive buttholes in F150s tailgaiting me and flashing their lights. I imagine a lot of Mirage owners in Atlanta are averaging mid 30s combined fuel economy, like I am. Gas is $2.50 a gallon now by me too. No more twenty dollar fill ups, but hey, this might drive Mirage sales up in the next couple of years.
    I drove approximately 240 miles today. Mostly 60-75 mph highway driving, except for going through a few small towns. I filled up before I reached home tonight, & I averaged 44 mpg on that tank. Today was much nicer temperatures (above freezing). When it's been well below freezing, I have been averaging about 42 mpg on trips like these. That's with 165/65r14 Nokian snow tires up front & newer 165/65r14 Nexen all-season tires on the rear. Winter blend gas most likely still be used around here, & the wind wasn't that bad today.

    I let the gas pump click off twice every time I fill up, & I divide the miles driven by the gallons on the gas pump.

    My 5-speed manual was between 3,000-4,000 rpm most of this trip. I never see below low 40 mpg on trips like these, & summer time mileage would be noticeable better.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    3,397
    Thanks
    1,181
    Thanked 659 Times in 500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I drove approximately 240 miles today. Mostly 60-75 mph highway driving, except for going through a few small towns. I filled up before I reached home tonight, & I averaged 44 mpg on that tank. Today was much nicer temperatures (above freezing). When it's been well below freezing, I have been averaging about 42 mpg on trips like these. That's with 165/65r14 Nokian snow tires up front & newer 165/65r14 Nexen all-season tires on the rear. Winter blend gas most likely still be used around here, & the wind wasn't that bad today.

    I let the gas pump click off twice every time I fill up, & I divide the miles driven by the gallons on the gas pump.

    My 5-speed manual was between 3,000-4,000 rpm most of this trip. I never see below low 40 mpg on trips like these, & summer time mileage would be noticeable better.
    My engine has 75k miles on it. Maybe that has to do with the less than stellar averages I get. I'm not complaining just the 30 mpg CITY I get around town I'm content with lol.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    RC, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,256
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    My engine has 75k miles on it. Maybe that has to do with the less than stellar averages I get. I'm not complaining just the 30 mpg CITY I get around town I'm content with lol.
    It's hard to compare apples to apples. I don't do a ton of stop & go city type driving. Our county has one city with a population of 5,000, & a few smaller communities of under 400. We have four intersections with stoplights in the the entire county. I have to drive 50 minutes to an hour to find the nearest round about intersections for my student drivers, & those are in neighboring counties.

    I am not doing a lot of stop & go driving, but we do have hills. Tire/rim sizes, types of tire, tire psi, driving style, traffic situations, weather conditions, etc. are all factors, too!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    Dirk Diggler (02-26-2021)

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    here
    Country
    Aaland
    Posts
    5,287
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    2,215
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,695 Posts
    I averaged 27mpg (hand calculated) for my last tank in the black car. Lots of -30 c weather and lots of idling killed my economy. So far on this current tank I've gone almost 200km(124mile) and the dte shows 650km(400 miles) to go.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  8. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    RC, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,256
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I averaged 27mpg (hand calculated) for my last tank in the black car. Lots of -30 c weather and lots of idling killed my economy. So far on this current tank I've gone almost 200km(124mile) and the dte shows 650km(400 miles) to go.
    I drove about 250 miles today. I needed a break on the way home. Stopped for gas & whatever with only 200.3 on trip A odometer.

    200.3 miles/4.294 gallons = 46.6 mpg (warmer today & mileage went up slightly).



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •