Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 2014 mirage mpg is much lower than normal. Please help!

Country
    France
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

My 2014 mirage mpg is much lower than normal. Please help!

Hello I have a 2014 Mirage CVT SE that I bought new. I absolutely love my little car.

I used to consistently get over 38 mgp in the city (often 40) and about 44-48 in the highway.
    For the past year I only get about 28-30 in the city and 40 in the highway.

I religiously change the oil with full synthetic at the dealership, but I haven't done any other maintenance appart from tires and front brake pads.

When I turn the engine on, the engine does seem to have a different sound. It doesn't seem in tune.

My car now has 73 000 miles, and I have never done an engine tune-up.

Could that be the cause of the decrease in fuel efficiency of my car? I was recommended to change the transmission fluid at the dealership. Should I do it? or what should I be checking or doing?

Thank-you for all your help =)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to robertico For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robertico View Post
    I have a 2014 Mirage CVT SE that I bought new...now has 73000 miles...
    Have you ever changed your transmission fluid? If the answer is no, then that's the first thing you need to do...regardless of whether or not it has anything to do with your low fuel economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    France
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Thank you for your quick reply

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Have you ever changed your transmission fluid? If the answer is no, then that's the first thing you need to do...regardless of whether or not it has anything to do with your low fuel economy.
    I will get the transmission fluid changed asap. I change the engine air filter and the cabin air filter myself every year. Thank you for your reply.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Be sure that whoever does your fluid changes has some experience with changing the fluid in a car like the Mirage.

The CVT in the Mirage has a screen-type filter that is accessible once the transmission pan has been removed. It also has a cartridge filter that installs in the driver's side of the transmission case. With 73,000 miles, you want the pan dropped and both filters replaced. Just draining and replacing the fluid (without dropping the pan and replacing filters) isn't good enough.

Others with more CVT knowledge may give you better tips because I don't own a CVT Mirage.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 08-27-2020 at 12:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-28-2020)

Biggest likely cause are factors you can't control, traffic, weather etc... The other likely cause is how heavy your foot is. It isn't hard to get 30mpg especially if you idle a lot.

Doubtful, but you don't have a flat tire do you? It can be hard to tell if they're low on these cars sometimes, especially the rears.

Otherwise, what do you mean "in tune"? These things shake like crazy from new. They aren't balanced well. It's a 3 cylinder thing, the shake. If you had a miss you'd know it, it'd be noticeably low on power.

Did you notice your rpm being higher at certain speeds than before? Rough average for mine is around 2000rpm at 65ish mph, 1600rpm around 50mph. That's on flat road no wind, no ac on etc....light throttle.

Lastly, do you have oil in it?

Edit: ignore half of what I wrote, I just noticed you've owned your car from new and should know they shake by now.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Couldn't hurt to run a bottle of Techron thru the next tank of gas. Others on here have noticed improvements with this, if I remember correctly.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robertico View Post
    Hello I have a 2014 I was recommended to change the transmission fluid at the dealership. Should I do it? or what should I be checking or doing?

Thank-you for all your help =)
    I would be changing your transmission fluid. Or, get a second opinion at a reputable mechanic. These cars are shakey from the start, but they also should always get your great MPG. So maybe see where you sit after a transmission fluid change. At your miles, might as well. That's what the doctor has ordered!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What size tires you runnning? I got economy 175 65 r14s on mine and my mpg took a hit, Im only avg like 36 mpg combined now but I also have the AC on all the time and sit at 3k to 3.5k rpms doing 75 mph.

^ Was going to mention this. Your Mirage's original tires had low rolling resistance. There can be a big difference between tires, and that will have an effect on MPG.

Also, if you changed to a different (ie. larger) tire, your odometer is now under-reporting distance, which will cause fuel consumption calculations to appear worse.

Also, what Fummins said: is your driving routine/environment exactly the same as it was when you were getting better MPG? Factors such as different route/speed/traffic/terrain/temperature have a huge impact on MPG.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What size tires you runnning? I got economy 175 65 r14s on mine and my mpg took a hit, Im only avg like 36 mpg combined now but I also have the AC on all the time and sit at 3k to 3.5k rpms doing 75 mph.
    I'm usually over 40mpg not usually going over 65mph usually just under 2000rpm, rarely use the ac but I'm still running winter tires. I'll put the dunlops back on next year. Maybe.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)