Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only Hypermilers Understand

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Only Hypermilers Understand

When I was a teen and 20-something, every trip I took was all about getting there as quickly as possible. The longer the trip, the more critical it was that I "break a record" by doing it faster than before. And even on shorter trips, every car in front of me was a target to pass. Must drive faster!

Then I got into sports cars and performance driving in the 90's. That replaced some of that "getting there faster" with "taking the scenic route", and the "record-breaking" became the challenge of taking every curve as fast as possible... faster than before. (I won't deny that I still do this to some extent, though I usually combine it with hypermiling and/or attempting to drive with minimal use of the brakes) Must corner harder!

Then I got into hypermiling when I bought my Yaris back about 2009. Now, I suffer the curse of always trying to maximize my fuel economy. I recognize that I don't have the time or inclination to be completely nuts about it. But, I set goals for myself, and I feel defeated if I don't achieve them. Must use less fuel!

So, I've been at it pretty hard lately. I've made a few hour-long trips netting me well over 55 mpg, and my typical driving around town trip will get me 45+ if it's not too short and/or I don't get stuck stopped in traffic for too long. (I'm not turning off the engine and giving up my AC!) Pretty happy with the results. Having fun with it. Striking that balance between max fuel economy, "getting there", and not holding up traffic.

Decided to do some math to answer the question: "How much money am I actually saving doing this on a typical short trip?"

Yesterday, I drove to an autocross about an hour away. Didn't leave the house early enough to get away with not taking the Interstate, but I was early enough that I could keep my speed under 65 (speed limit was 70 for most of it), and I netted 47.1 mpg on the way there. On the return, I had plenty of time, it was 7pm, and I absolutely did not feel like dealing with I-4 traffic. So, I took the back roads, which was actually a few miles shorter. Took about 20 minutes longer. But, I got home with 57.5 mpg for that return trip. Win! I still haven't seen the elusive 60... but, getting closer. (and I haven't even jacked up my tire pressures... never turned off the engine, either... or even turned the AC off)

Today, I made a 4-ish mile trip out to dinner and back. Cold engine both times (long dinner with car guys, was there for 4 hours). On the way there, I took the most direct route and it was rush-hour. I was able to keep speeds down below 40 and didn't get held up too much. I got stopped briefly at 3 of the 6 possible traffic lights, and netted 42.7 mpg. Not horrible for such a short trip with traffic. On the way back, it was 10:30pm. I didn't want to wait at the long light to make a left turn, so I went straight (it was green) and made the next left onto a slower, but less busy 2-lane (rather than the 6-lane that would force me to drive 40-45 even at that time of night) where I could pulse-and-glide from 42>30 repeatedly. Turns out, that route was 1.4 miles longer, and took about 4 minutes longer. But, I did dodge all but one traffic light, and didn't stop for long at that one. (plus, got a great long DCFO glide approaching it) Netted 51.0 mpg on the way home. Excellent for such a short trip, I was pleased. (my goal was at least 50)

On the short trip, I used 0.10 gallons on the way there at a cost of about $0.25. On the way back, because I added 20% to the length of the trip, I used 0.11 gallons at a cost of about $0.28. So, my hypermiling on that trip, while it was fulfilling, cost me 3 cents!

Yesterday's longer trip, I used 1.19 gallons at a cost of $2.97. The return trip was 6.7 miles shorter, AND much better MPG, so I used 0.85 gallons at a cost of $2.13. My hypermiling yesterday evening saved me 84 cents! And cost me about 20 minutes on what would have been a 1-hour drive.

For kicks, I calculated what would have been my "worst case" for yesterday's trip. If I'd been running late, I could have easily shaved 10 minutes off of that trip by upping my peak speed from 65 to a "5-over" speed of 75 mph... and upping my non-highway speeds similarly. I've done this before, and anytime I get this car over 70, MPG drops below 40. Usually down around 38! So, worst case, I'd have used 1.47 gallons at a cost of $3.67.

And, of course, almost everyone who attended the autocross I was at is probably getting no more than 25 mpg, and most of them are running more expensive premium fuel. So, they would have used 2.23 gallons at a cost of $6.47.

Bottom line is that it cost me half as much as anyone else to drive to my autocross yesterday, no matter which route I took, or how fast I chose to drive, which is cool. But, really... we're only talking about $3. I'm not really doing this to save money. And I'm not going to save the planet. I just enjoy the challenge of doing it!

Just had to share this. I know some of you will understand.

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (12-17-2019),AtomicPunk (12-17-2019),Basic (12-17-2019),Daox (12-18-2019),Eggman (12-17-2019),fc321 (12-18-2019),fifteenwindow (12-21-2019),MetroMPG (07-06-2020),Top_Fuel (12-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Nice story. It's an under-appreciated aspect of automotive performance.

Any questions or discussion for other fuel sippers? Personally, I'm surprised you haven't increased the air pressure in your tires. I think you'll be impressed by what that does for your fuel economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice story. It's an under-appreciated aspect of automotive performance.

Any questions or discussion for other fuel sippers? Personally, I'm surprised you haven't increased the air pressure in your tires. I think you'll be impressed by what that does for your fuel economy.
    From all my reading here on the forum, it seems the Mirage has a bunch of little features that, combined, help to get the great fuel mileage. I'm currently running stock 14 inch wheels with ensaves and hubcaps, and am pleased with my mileage. I think I read somewhere even the wheel covers are designed to help with aerodynamics. My question is, would changing to 15 inch alloy wheels hurt mpg? And great write up, Loren. I too have morphed from "how fast can I get there" to "how efficient can I drive" and is has nothing to do with "saving the planet or money". I'm not as good as you (yet), but it helps keep the commute interesting!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I visit Loren's area a few times a year. The traffic around there can get crazy, especially this time of year when the snowbirds flock to the region. That would be a challenging place for any hyper-miler...especially when you have to run the AC all the time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never checked my tire pressure for autocross, either. I'm just lazy!

As I'm in the process of changing my suspension from autocross mode to street mode, I've been chasing ride quality, so I'm not going to up the tire pressure just yet.

Just like Motorsports, "tune the driver first". Then, when I optimize the car, I'll be that much better!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love that with winter tires and 2 passengers and accidentally going over 80 at least 3 times (no cruise control) I still got better than the 39mpg advertised when I took a 4 hour round trip last weekend!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    My question is, would changing to 15 inch alloy wheels hurt mpg?
    The diameter of the wheel itself is irrelevant to fuel economy. What matters (for economy) is weight and to a lesser extent width. TIRE weight is also a factor, and tire tread width is a major factor. It all adds up.

But, you could run a 15" wheel with a tire that is the same overall diameter as your stock 14" tire. As long as it's not appreciably heavier or wider, and if it's either a Low Rolling Resistance tire or you run high pressures to keep it more "round" so that you're not putting energy into making heat in the tire. If you choose the right 15" wheel (no heavier than the stock 14 and not much wider), and the right tire (same diameter and close to the same width as stock), then it should make little or no difference in fuel economy.

My experiments should prove this. I'm hitting 55-58 mpg in a VERY flat environment (hills can be awesome for hypermiling) with traffic (that I refuse to be a great burden to), with the AC on... and I've got non-aerodynamic 15" wheels with non-LRR 185-width tires that are taller than stock. Would I get better than that with the stock wheels and tires? Sure... by a couple percent or so. 2% of 50 = .5 mpg.

Now, if I'd chosen my 15" wheels based purely on appearance or price, I might have ended up with an 18-pound wheel rather than an 11.5 pound wheel. And if I'd not sought out the lightest possible 185-width tire, I might have ended up with a 20-pound tire rather than a 16-pound tire. That weight makes a big difference, too. Makes more of a difference in stop & go driving.

The answers are never simple, are they?

But, I still maintain that, just like most motorsports (drag racing aside), the driver is the bigger part of the equation. A person moderately skilled at the art of hypermiling should be able to drive ANY vehicle to 30% over the EPA rated highway mileage, which is right about 50 mpg in the Mirage. As you get better, you'll hit 40%, which is closer to 55 mpg. The expert hypermilers can hit 50% over EPA and beyond.... which would be getting close to 60 mpg.

Still, "it ain't the car". Well, in this case, SOME of it is the car. But, it's the driver that makes the difference between the Mirage getting 35 mpg and 55 mpg. The tires might make a difference of one or two MPG, if that. There's still MUCH more to be gained by driving technique.

And, you don't have to get crazy about it. I'm topping 50% over EPA using just basic techniques. Lower speed. Slower acceleration. Short shifting into 4th and 5th ASAP. Pulse and glide. (this car seems to respond best to neutral-coasting to extend the coast rather than in-gear coasting to get DFCO) Extended DFCO coasting when coming to a stop, eliminating as much time spent idling as possible. Reading traffic to maintain momentum as much as possible and avoid stops. Trying to drive as much as possible without touching the brakes. Just basic driving techniques.

There's more to be gained by getting into aero, shedding weight, engine-off coasting, shutting off accessories (even the alternator), etc. But, you don't have that far to get great results.

Another thing I tend to forget... I'm actually getting better MPG than the display in the car says. My tires are 2.7% larger diameter than stock, thus I'm traveling 2.7% further than the computer thinks I am. It's so little that I don't usually bother thinking about it. But, it's enough to push my 57.5 mpg up to 59.05. So, I'm closer to the elusive 60 mpg than I think I am!

Bottom line: 50% or more mpg OVER the EPA rating is yours for the taking just with better driving. (not just in the Mirage, any car!) Just do it! Beyond that, you get into the diminishing returns of modifications. Also fun to play with. But, until you've gotten what YOU can get as a driver... why worry about it?

And if you want to put nicer wheels and tires on your car, DO it. Even with my sticky autocross tires that were 205 width, I was still able to easily see 54-55 mpg when I tried.

(I've given the same speech to beginning autocrossers for the past 20+ years. Before you spend money to "improve" your car... have a skilled driver drive it. Are you faster than them? It's YOUR car, you should be at least VERY close to them! If they're faster, then you're wasting money and time worrying about your car... "tune the driver first".)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-19-2019),fc321 (12-18-2019),MetroMPG (07-06-2020),Top_Fuel (12-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The driver is a huge part of the equation. The routes you take are another huge part.

My best hypermiling happened in 2015 (Scion iQ, average 47.8 MPG, EPA 37), taking virtually all back roads, generally going ~50MPH or the speed limit, whichever was slower: http://www.fuelly.com/car/scion/iq/2.../679161/annual

2016 forward, I had a longer commute, which basically means I had to take freeway routes. The freeway routes tend to encourage going at least the speed limit of 70MPH, which can decimate fuel economy.
    Last edited by timw4mail; 12-17-2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Few more details.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Made another hour-long trek today. 54.5 mpg on the way there. 58.7 on the way back. I actually saw 61.2, and was well on my way to hanging onto 60 mpg, but rush hour kicked in and I lost it.

Only thing different from my last trip was that it was cooler and also not raining/moist, so I didn't need to run the AC or the defrost.

I almost wish I had a daily commute to play with! If I aired up the tires and got into engine-off coasting... I wonder if 65 mpg would be possible?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Today, I made a 4-ish mile trip out to dinner and back. Cold engine both times (long dinner with car guys, was there for 4 hours). On the way there, I took the most direct route and it was rush-hour. I was able to keep speeds down below 40 and didn't get held up too much. I got stopped briefly at 3 of the 6 possible traffic lights, and netted 42.7 mpg. Not horrible for such a short trip with traffic. On the way back, it was 10:30pm. I didn't want to wait at the long light to make a left turn, so I went straight (it was green) and made the next left onto a slower, but less busy 2-lane (rather than the 6-lane that would force me to drive 40-45 even at that time of night) where I could pulse-and-glide from 42>30 repeatedly. Turns out, that route was 1.4 miles longer, and took about 4 minutes longer. But, I did dodge all but one traffic light, and didn't stop for long at that one. (plus, got a great long DCFO glide approaching it) Netted 51.0 mpg on the way home. Excellent for such a short trip, I was pleased. (my goal was at least 50)
    Same trip tonight, 55.9 mpg. Awwww yeah!

Car is exactly the same, didn't even adjust the tire pressures. Probably even on the same tank of fuel, though a little less of it. I think the big difference was that I extended my coasts even further.