Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Converting my Mirage into a mini-camper, work station, and music studio

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Subscribed! Some of your attachments are borked in post #4.
    They should be fixed now.

Also, I'm sure you've seen this thread... somewhat related (though it seems like you're going much further with the idea)...
    Thread: Sleeping platform in Mirage (car camping)
    I actually haven't seen this thread. I'll check it out, thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Check out the Peace Love Car: 1988 Ford Festiva. I have seen this car an know the owners. Pretty neat.

https://youtu.be/i-VgaUClWCA?list=PL...Cnwyjy9RVmAtOZ
    Wow, I love this. They have really figured out how to pack everything in such a small vehicle. Hopefully I will fall in love with a hot babe like her while I'm traveling

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WI_Mirage For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (08-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So today I started working on the doors. Well, just one door lol. This weekend I'll put putting in a lot of work.

Removed the trim panels. Moved the wires out of the way. Removed the plastic water/dust cover. I will be saving this and reusing it.
    Name:  Photo Aug 27, 3 19 34 PM.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  104.1 KB
    Name:  Photo Aug 27, 3 19 38 PM.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  107.7 KB

I removed the black adhesive. I used a utility knife blade to run it flat across the metal, doing my best not to scratch paint off. Then I rubbed it off with goo-gone. And cleaned the whole thing with 99% rubbing alcohol.
    Name:  Photo Aug 28, 6 16 58 PM.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  99.3 KB

Here I used a transparent adhesion film as a template. It is used to cover photos and documents, but it worked so damn well for this. I bought it at Michaels.
    I applied the film flat; not shaping it to the contour of the metal. That's just too much work lol. I traced all the holes, bolt heads, and some plastic clip thingy-ma-giggies with a black sharpie.
    Name:  Photo Aug 28, 6 26 03 PM.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  98.4 KB

I taped 3 mats of sound deadener together. With the help of my awesome roommate, we applied the film to the aluminum foil side of the sound dampener. This is done because the film can be easily peeled off without damaging the foil or the film. I will use this same template for the front passenger doo. It will be applied to the other side of the sound dampener (so it's mirrored) which is a paper material that will stay attached to the film like when trying to peel a stubborn paper sticker.
    Name:  Photo Aug 28, 6 39 53 PM.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  95.2 KB

I then used a utility knife to cut the shape of the rectangle template. The excess pieces can be used elsewhere.
    Name:  Photo Aug 28, 7 20 31 PM.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  96.8 KB

Using an exacto knife, I meticulously cut out all the shapes. I threw away all the smaller pieces but kept the larger ones to be used on the inner metal of the door. After this was done, I cut the film template into 3 pieces using the edges of the sound dampening mats. I removed the film and applied it to three other sound dampening mats to be used for the passenger door.
    Name:  Photo Aug 28, 7 36 53 PM.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  98.5 KB

I applied the mats one at a time. They didn't fit exactly perfect, but very damn close. I used the exacto knife the trace the holes that were slightly being covered. The sun had set before I could finish. I still have to apply some more to the bottom fourth of the door, and to the inner metal.
    Name:  Photo Aug 28, 8 51 09 PM.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  97.6 KB
    Last edited by WI_Mirage; 08-29-2020 at 02:51 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WI_Mirage View Post
    So today I started working on the doors. Well, just one door lol. This weekend I'll put putting in a lot of work.
    Looks meticulous. Too tedious a project for my taste, but that's cool. Looking forward to seeing what you rig up for the camper part. I'd do some sort of tent pop up in the back like the old Pontiac Azteks had. I've seen it done with other 5 door hatch cars. Well on the internet anyway lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    All seats removed. The back seats will forever remain in storage. The passenger seat will be put back in whenever I need room for another passenger.
    How will you deal with the airbag fault codes when you remove your front passenger seat? I'm referring to not only the airbag but the occupancy sensor as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

The only seats in the car will be the drivers seat. The front passenger seat can be put back in as needed.
    Note you'll run into trouble with the airbag system if you turn on the ignition with the passenger seat removed (the computer doesn't like to see air bags disconnected). Not sure if it disables the remaining airbags or not. Maybe that's not an issue to you - and there may be a workaround I don't know about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    How will you deal with the airbag fault codes when you remove your front passenger seat? I'm referring to not only the airbag but the occupancy sensor as well.
    Note you'll run into trouble with the airbag system if you turn on the ignition with the passenger seat removed (the computer doesn't like to see air bags disconnected). Not sure if it disables the remaining airbags or not. Maybe that's not an issue to you - and there may be a workaround I don't know about.

My plan is to purchase a complete passenger seat from a Junk yard. Then I’ll rip all the sensors out of the seat. Maybe fabricate a little fiberglass box that would host them on the floor. I could possibly integrate it with the speaker amp, as it will also be located under the passenger seat. I’ve found a few yards near me with spare seats, just waiting to finish the sound system before I move onto that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    However, I am still unsure of how the airbags will react. I will consult with the Mitsu dealer near me before risking a broken nose and black eye lol

I've heard (don't know if it's true) that you can install a resistor in the disconnected airbag connector so the computer thinks things are still OK. Worth researching.

(I'm also pretty sure this is the kind of statement that causes car engineers to smack their foreheads and shake their heads at the idiots on the internet.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    My plan is to purchase a complete passenger seat from a Junk yard. Then I’ll rip all the sensors out of the seat. Maybe fabricate a little fiberglass box that would host them on the floor. I could possibly integrate it with the speaker amp, as it will also be located under the passenger seat. I’ve found a few yards near me with spare seats, just waiting to finish the sound system before I move onto that.
    Keep in mind your passenger seat includes not only an occupancy sensor but an explosive squib for its airbag - both must be accounted for to the airbag controller.

It's a clever approach, but those explosive devices are designed to work in a very carefully thought-out manner in a specific installation. This approach removes the explosive elements from their designed configuration, as you acknowledge below.

However, I am still unsure of how the airbags will react. I will consult with the Mitsu dealer near me before risking a broken nose and black eye lol
    Will your dealer will give you any advice on this? They risk a lot of liability in the case of injury due to your actions.

I've heard (don't know if it's true) that you can install a resistor in the disconnected airbag connector so the computer thinks things are still OK. Worth researching.

(I'm also pretty sure this is the kind of statement that causes car engineers to smack their foreheads and shake their heads at the idiots on the internet.)
    Managing risk and liability is a high-stakes game. Imagine a lawsuit hearing where someone is injured or killed in an accident and the vehicle is modified. Lawyers will do their best to find out who did what to place the blame and collect all that they can. It's scary to think about.

We're not talking about an old Ford with outdated safety systems here.

Last edited by Eggman; 08-30-2020 at 10:40 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)