Subcompact Culture (08-29-2020)
So today I started working on the doors. Well, just one door lol. This weekend I'll put putting in a lot of work.
Removed the trim panels. Moved the wires out of the way. Removed the plastic water/dust cover. I will be saving this and reusing it.
I removed the black adhesive. I used a utility knife blade to run it flat across the metal, doing my best not to scratch paint off. Then I rubbed it off with goo-gone. And cleaned the whole thing with 99% rubbing alcohol.
Here I used a transparent adhesion film as a template. It is used to cover photos and documents, but it worked so damn well for this. I bought it at Michaels.
I applied the film flat; not shaping it to the contour of the metal. That's just too much work lol. I traced all the holes, bolt heads, and some plastic clip thingy-ma-giggies with a black sharpie.
I taped 3 mats of sound deadener together. With the help of my awesome roommate, we applied the film to the aluminum foil side of the sound dampener. This is done because the film can be easily peeled off without damaging the foil or the film. I will use this same template for the front passenger doo. It will be applied to the other side of the sound dampener (so it's mirrored) which is a paper material that will stay attached to the film like when trying to peel a stubborn paper sticker.
I then used a utility knife to cut the shape of the rectangle template. The excess pieces can be used elsewhere.
Using an exacto knife, I meticulously cut out all the shapes. I threw away all the smaller pieces but kept the larger ones to be used on the inner metal of the door. After this was done, I cut the film template into 3 pieces using the edges of the sound dampening mats. I removed the film and applied it to three other sound dampening mats to be used for the passenger door.
I applied the mats one at a time. They didn't fit exactly perfect, but very damn close. I used the exacto knife the trace the holes that were slightly being covered. The sun had set before I could finish. I still have to apply some more to the bottom fourth of the door, and to the inner metal.
Last edited by WI_Mirage; 08-29-2020 at 02:51 AM.
View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.8 mpg (US) ... 17.8 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.2 mpg (Imp)
My plan is to purchase a complete passenger seat from a Junk yard. Then Iíll rip all the sensors out of the seat. Maybe fabricate a little fiberglass box that would host them on the floor. I could possibly integrate it with the speaker amp, as it will also be located under the passenger seat. Iíve found a few yards near me with spare seats, just waiting to finish the sound system before I move onto that.
However, I am still unsure of how the airbags will react. I will consult with the Mitsu dealer near me before risking a broken nose and black eye lol
I've heard (don't know if it's true) that you can install a resistor in the disconnected airbag connector so the computer thinks things are still OK. Worth researching.
(I'm also pretty sure this is the kind of statement that causes car engineers to smack their foreheads and shake their heads at the idiots on the internet.)
It's a clever approach, but those explosive devices are designed to work in a very carefully thought-out manner in a specific installation. This approach removes the explosive elements from their designed configuration, as you acknowledge below.
We're not talking about an old Ford with outdated safety systems here.