Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man, I love this little car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Man, I love this little car.

I've had my little 2018 Mirage ES for about a year and a half, and I still love it.
    There are some cars that we buy and that feeling wears off pretty quickly. Buyers remorse, or just the realization that you bought junk. Well, this car hasn't failed to impress me yet! I get mid 40's mileage-wise, and it's far more comfortable than my old Toyota Echo. I've done a few factory upgrades and one aftermarket one to make it a little more my own, but to be honest even if I'd left it bone stock it would still be a great car.

I wish it got a fair shake as far as reviews go. There really isn't any other small car that comes close when it comes to milage, comfort, and price, not to mention reliablilty reports. I keep hearing that Mitsubishi is having issues here in the states with slow sales and I'd hate to think that someday these little cars may no longer be avalible here. My wife really really wants a yellow 2021 like the ones they have been showing on YouTube. While I like the 2018's front end better, she thinks those 2021's look cool.
    Anyway I just wanted to stop by and say that as an owner I can't say enough good things about these little cars!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mrfixit For This Useful Post:

2of9 (09-02-2020),Cobrajet (09-03-2020),inuvik (09-02-2020),Marklovski (09-06-2020),MetroMPG (09-03-2020),mitsumi (09-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like how the 18's look. Wish I waited for those instead, haha. I've got a 2015. Bought mine when it only had 50 miles!

Totally agree about the buyer's remorse. I really thought I was going to have that too but nope, 4 years later, it's still a blast to drive. Just actually got done driving it a little over 300 miles during a cabin trip. I'm really contemplating about getting a CVT Mirage but we'll see. The 5 spd is super fun but somedays, I just feel extra lazy, haha!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    I like how the 18's look. Wish I waited for those instead, haha. I've got a 2015. Bought mine when it only had 50 miles!

Totally agree about the buyer's remorse. I really thought I was going to have that too but nope, 4 years later, it's still a blast to drive. Just actually got done driving it a little over 300 miles during a cabin trip. I'm really contemplating about getting a CVT Mirage but we'll see. The 5 spd is super fun but somedays, I just feel extra lazy, haha!
    I hear you man, this is the first car I've ever owned that wasn't a stick shift. I'm getting older and just got lazy. I can't say I regret it either!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrfixit For This Useful Post:

2of9 (09-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    I hear you man, this is the first car I've ever owned that wasn't a stick shift. I'm getting older and just got lazy. I can't say I regret it either!
    I hear lots of people feeling bad about not getting the manual. I mean, honestly, apart from the macho-ness of being able to drive stick, I think the CVT is the way to go. Yes, maybe you lose /some/ power pumping the transmission that really wouldn't be gone in the manual, but from purely a mechanical perspective I bet the CVT is actually more performant overall as it is able to basically hold the engine in its optimal rev range at any speed.

Reliability of the manual is probably also better, but hey, with a 10 year warranty, who cares?

I got a cvt because I like getting in being lazy and driving. I'd be irritated if my transmission blew up tomorrow but I don't see any signs of failure yet. I worry more about sharknado's and samsquanches.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    I've had my little 2018 Mirage ES for about a year and a half, and I still love it.
    There are some cars that we buy and that feeling wears off pretty quickly. Buyers remorse, or just the realization that you bought junk. Well, this car hasn't failed to impress me yet! I get mid 40's mileage-wise, and it's far more comfortable than my old Toyota Echo. I've done a few factory upgrades and one aftermarket one to make it a little more my own, but to be honest even if I'd left it bone stock it would still be a great car.

I wish it got a fair shake as far as reviews go. There really isn't any other small car that comes close when it comes to milage, comfort, and price, not to mention reliablilty reports. I keep hearing that Mitsubishi is having issues here in the states with slow sales and I'd hate to think that someday these little cars may no longer be avalible here. My wife really really wants a yellow 2021 like the ones they have been showing on YouTube. While I like the 2018's front end better, she thinks those 2021's look cool.
    Anyway I just wanted to stop by and say that as an owner I can't say enough good things about these little cars!
    It will be three full years of ownership in October for me. I've been extremely happy with my Mirage, too!

I find your Echo comments interesting, because I had considered an Echo for quite some time. I never pulled the trigger on one, because I am not a big fan of sedans. I admire basic, dependable, economy cars like the Echo, however. The 2000-05 Echo was a bit more basic than the Civics and Corollas of that time period.

When I became interested in getting a smaller car in 2017, used cars like the Fit, Yaris, & Mazda2 were first on my radar. I sort of stumbled upon Mirages on my manual, small hatchback vehicle searches. Even then I was very skeptical at first. My concerns were slowly erased by cars.com/kbb.com consumer reviews, Space Star reviews done by Germans who were kind enough to do the review a second time in English, Pryme/Johnny Mullet's youtube reviews, & this forum. Local Mitsubishi dealerships were a complete turn off, but White Bear erased all those concerns for me, too.

I truly enjoy driving my Mirage! I did a 500 mile trip last weekend (CDL class, visit parents, wedding, & back home) with my Mirage. Some of that trip was pushing 70/75 mph with the A/C on, and the one tank fill up was 45.45 mpg. I pretty much see 45-49 mpg during the summer months, and 40-45 mpg during the winter months.

I didn't hear you complain about decrease in horsepower? A 1.5L Echo had 108 hp & a pretty decent mpg rating (manual was 35 city/43 highway) to go with it.

I hope these cars don't disappear any time soon, but who knows? It sounds promising that the updated 2021 Mirage is coming to North America, & I am glad about that.

As a former 2002 Toyota Echo and current 2019 G4 owner (both manual) I agree with Mrfixit that Mirage is far more comfortable than my old Toyota Echo.

Funniest thing is that (in total) I paid less for my G4 ES with decent factory options than what I paid for the most basic Echo in 2002 dollars!

If I am to compare these two cars, my Echo is like AK-47 and my G4 is like M16

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twister77 View Post
    As a former 2002 Toyota Echo and current 2019 G4 owner (both manual) I agree with Mrfixit that Mirage is far more comfortable than my old Toyota Echo.

Funniest thing is that (in total) I paid less for my G4 ES with decent factory options than what I paid for the most basic Echo in 2002 dollars!

If I am to compare these two cars, my Echo is like AK-47 and my G4 is like M16
    My co-worker bought a 2018 G4 based on my experience with my 2015 Mirage. She was a former Echo owner herself and specifically stated that it reminded her of the Echo but liked the Mirage better also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twister77 View Post
    Maybe you were paying for that extra 0.2 liters of displacement, 4th cylinder, &/or 30 more ponies (horsepower) in 2002?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

craigq (09-03-2020)

Mrfixit: I love mine too. I can't believe how much car you get for so little money. It excels at what it was designed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    She was a former Echo owner herself and specifically stated that it reminded her of the Echo but liked the Mirage better also.
    I briefly owned an Echo too. Of all the little cars I've owned (lots), it felt well built. The Mirage reminds me of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)