Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man, I love this little car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think its funny that there are so many former Toyta Echo owners here! So, someone was askign how i felt about the lower HP rating that the Mirage has vs. the Echo. I can tell you that I do notice it on the daily commute, but I've never felt that it was an issue or something that I really missed. A car can have a 0-60 time in 4 seconds, but how often does that really matter? On ramps are super long for a reason. It takes loaded 18 wheelers for ever to get up to speed. In comparason the Mirage might as well be a fighter jet!

I alaways loved the Echo, but it wasn't as quiet or refined as the Mirage. I also LOVE the hatchback vs the trunk on the Echo. I can fold down the seats and carry a lot of stuff the Echo couldn't.
    Lastly the sound system is killer! Yes, I recently upgraded to the Fosgate setup, but man it is so nice to have a USB port to put my old Coast to Coast audio files on.
    I feel like the Echo got a bad rap in it's day and I'll agree that the first two years had a ugly front end, but the 2002 to 2005 years were really nice Mine was a base 2 door, with the 5 speed and it served me well for 260K. While I feel the Mirage will get a CVT at somepoint between now and 260K, I still feel it was worth it not to have to shift in traffic anymore.

I'd bet a dollar there will come a day when the Mirage is gone, and people will be looking for clean used models to cherrish just like they do with the great little GEO Metro. In fact, I feel this car is the spiritual sucessor for that car, right down to the 3 cylinder motor!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrfixit For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    I'd bet a dollar there will come a day when the Mirage is gone, and people will be looking for clean used models to cherrish just like they do with the great little GEO Metro. In fact, I feel this car is the spiritual sucessor for that car, right down to the 3 cylinder motor!
    This is what my Mirage replaced back in late 2014.

Cobra - do you still have it?

My (first world problem) dilemma is deciding whether to keep my low miles (25k) '98 Firefly and beater Metro or just dump them and don't look back with a Forever Mirage. Getting harder to find Metro parts in the Great White North.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twister77 View Post
    If I am to compare these two cars, my Echo is like AK-47 and my G4 is like M16
    hahaha!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I hear lots of people feeling bad about not getting the manual. I mean, honestly, apart from the macho-ness of being able to drive stick, I think the CVT is the way to go.

There's absolutely nothing "macho" about driving the manual. I have one, and my wife can drive it just fine. The 22 y/o girl I bought it from drove it just fine, too. There's a small cadre of folks on here who somehow have attached their masculinity to the ability/choice to drive a "stick". Paging Dr. Freud...

Drive what you want and enjoy it. Life's short.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This is what my Mirage replaced back in late 2014.

Love how that car looks! but I have a thing for cars that people think look dated

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    There's a small cadre of folks on here who somehow have attached their masculinity to the ability/choice to drive a "stick".
    Although I've always preferred to drive a stick, I don't think of it that way with people. I like the engagement of driving a stick, but I have lived in rural areas of Wisconsin most of my life. If I had to deal with bumper-to-bumper traffic on a daily basis or I was a postal worker delivering rural mail, I could see myself giving up on a manual.

One of the nicest perks of driving a stick is very few friends or relatives are interested in borrowing your vehicle. Rather than saying "no", I just say "I own a stick". It seems to work the same.

We forced my oldest daughter to drive a stick, because we sensed she was going to live outside the United States at times in her life. Our prediction of where she may live & her need to know how to drive a manual was correct. When she did missionary work in Africa for 2.5 years, everything she drove was a manual. When got married & moved to Finland, my son-in-law & her share one Fiat Punto (manual) with her in-laws & sister-in-law. That's the only vehicle the five of them use outside of public transportation. If you don't test with a manual there, your driver's license has restrictions.

My youngest daughter never had a desire to drive a manual, and she may never drive one. Everyone is different, and that is ok.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Drive what you want and enjoy it. Life's short.
    Off topic but:

Don't know where you live in Ohio but am thinking about doing another Mirage meet. Would you be interested? With Covid l know people are less interested...lf you are interested, do you know of any places to meet? l thought Geneva State Park...but don't want anyone to have to drive too far...l live in Mentor...any places you can think of that are close to you or are halfway? Also anyone else interested? l will make a seperate thread soon.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm down around Dayton. Sounds interesting, although I don't know of any places halfway. Seems that might be around Columbus...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mr. Fixit,

Have you installed a CB radio in your Mirage?
    If so, what radio.
    More importantly, what antenna did you go with?