Thread: Where is my crank sensor? Engine misfire and dies with AC on

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Where is my crank sensor? Engine misfire and dies with AC on

Recently replaced my AC compressor after a year of being broken. AC works great but at highway speed the engine misfires and dies. Have to attempt to restart several times before it'll fire up again. Scan tool says it's a crankshaft position sensor. Any idea where it's located? Advance auto has a listing for one that is titled crankshaft/camshaft position sensor and it looks like the one that is on the front passenger side of the head. I suspect that isn't the crank sensor, but I could be wrong. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dusty

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    From the service manual...

I'm not clear on what it's saying. Do you have to remove the AC compressor to get at the crank sensor? The red arrow in the image below points to the crank sensor.

Name:  crankshaft Position Sensor Location.jpg
Views: 3000
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  crankshaft Position Sensor 1.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  crankshaft Position Sensor 2.jpg
Views: 2909
Size:  91.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dustyb (09-03-2020),MetroMPG (09-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Yeah, check wiring & connector carefully for damage. I'm interested in hearing what you find. I recall others saying some wires get pinched & damaged such as by cable ties.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great schematic. I got it out. Wow, it is buried in there. Only had to remove the AC compressor but it's impossible to see if you don't know where it is. Didn't disconnect the AC lines, just moved the compressor out of the way and suspended it with some wire. Ill get a better look at the wiring tomorrow. The sensor I ordered will be in tomorrow afternoon. One thing I will need to address soon is the coolant crossover pipe (#12 in the above schematic) . Mine is severely rusted and will probably rupture any moment. Probably a dealer only item that's worth its weight in gold. Thanks again for the help.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  DFEE3579-D221-4ADC-832B-532DBBCBB7BE.jpeg
Views: 1313
Size:  54.4 KB

So...the sensor on the top is the factory original. Mitsu dealer wanted $149 for a replacement. The one on the bottom is one I got for $16.99 on Amazon. I was hesitant to order it because it had a single one star review. What can I say I’m a risk taker and a cheap ass. They look identical down to the font on the engraved part number. The Mitsu emblem did ease my mind a bit too.
    Last edited by dustyb; 09-09-2020 at 12:45 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Stripped and inspected the wiring (didn't find any problems). Cleaned up a crusty ground on the left side of the head (just in case). Swapped in the new sensor. Fired up and running fine. No longer dies when i turn the AC on (still cant explain that one).
    Last edited by dustyb; 09-11-2020 at 07:49 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dustyb For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-11-2020)

That's good news. Hopefully it lasts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)