Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rusted coolant pipe

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Noticed a few rusty things in our engine compartments (screws, clamps) and our engines are so clean (I keep them that way) you could eat off them. I was a little peevy when I first noticed as my pickup has no rust in the engine compartment is older and has more miles. You are doing the right thing by replacing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Yikes. Here is mine at 156k. I'll admit I don't know too much about Pennsylvania, but I had no idea the atmospheric conditions there were so similar to those found on the surface of Venus.

Might be a good idea to give the replacement part, when sourced, "The Krylon Touch" before installing it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-05-2020)

Yikes! Looks like a flood car - seawater flood!

I'm going to check mine too (after the weekend... away).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyb View Post
    https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...inlet-1310a882

Ok. Ordered this one. $80 shipped. Some of the ones you guys posted were a few bucks cheaper but I don’t trust oddball websites that don’t take PayPal. Buying with PayPal from sites I don’t recognize has saved my ass more than once. We’ll see if the Chrysler part is the same. Hopefully this one doesn’t get canceled.
    How difficult is this going to be to replace? Looks somewhat buried, but maybe a workaround? Fummins, ever change one of these?
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 09-06-2020 at 03:24 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've never seen something so rusty that is only 6yrs old. But PA is terrible plus you park on dirt which I've heard accelerates rust.
    Not being able to find parts and the cost of parts is easily the worst part of owning a mirage. If they stop production I'd be even more worried about parts.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    How difficult is this going to be to replace? Looks somewhat buried, but maybe a workaround? Fummins, ever change one of these?
    I've never replaced one of those. I wouldn't want to change that one^ I foresee broken bolts, broken drill bits, broken taps, broken beer bottles, insurance fraud.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dustyb (09-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've never replaced one of those. I wouldn't want to change that one^ I foresee broken bolts, broken drill bits, broken taps, broken beer bottles, insurance fraud.
    Don't forget lots and lots of colorful expletives, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah, I'd be really careful with those. Maybe some heat and then a 3/8 electric impact with a long extension. I certainly wouldn't put a ratchet on it and start reefing as it would be pretty easy to twist the head off of one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I think I'd start soaking those bolts every day with PB Blaster about a week in advance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I think I'd start soaking those bolts every day with PB Blaster about a week in advance.
    I love Blaster, i buy it by the gallon. Been spraying the bolts every day. But...

Unfortunately, one or more of the items in your order (Order 1539779) has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is not currently in stock at our warehouse. Even after searching our extensive network of parts locators and vintage parts suppliers, we regret that we’re unable to fulfill your order at this time. To prevent any further inconvenience, we’ll be issuing your refund within the next 24 hours.

Looks like i wont be getting a new one. I looked at the route of the metal tube, it transitions to a rubber line before it goes into the heater core. I'm going to remove the metal tube, cut the flange off and weld a hose barb to it, then run a rubber line directly to the heater core. There is a small tube that branches off the metal tube near the right side of the head. I'll have to see where it goes and devise a work-around for it.

In the process of calling around trying to find a used coolant tube i found a local salvage yard that has a 2015 motor with 1,300 miles...yes 1,300, the odometer still works! It's still in the car and complete, they want $600 for the motor with all accessories from intake to oil pan. I think I'm going to buy it. I already spent $50 on a used alternator and $100 on a used AC compressor and I've tried unsuccessfully to spend $80 on a coolant tube.