Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rusted coolant pipe

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rusted coolant pipe

In my ongoing fight against corrosion (See my previous thread about Oil pan rust perforation). to keep my 2014 ES on the road I now need to replace the coolant bypass tube. The Steel coolant Tube that runs under the intake across the front of the block Is severely rusted and starting to seep coolant. The Mitsu dealer wants $180 for this small steel pipe and I can’t locate anything used or aftermarket. Does anyone have a junk motor or a parts car they’d be willing to cannibalize? I’ll pay via PayPal. The pipe is #12 in the below Schematic (Thanks to Top Fuel for the image)
    Thanks,
    Dusty
    Name:  pipe.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  29.8 KB

Last edited by dustyb; 09-03-2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: pic added

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I'm trying to find that part on a website like mitsubishipartswarehouse.com...but not having any luck.

I can find the gasket but not the pipe itself...

Engine Coolant Pipe Gasket - Mitsubishi (1310A901)
    Did they give you a part number?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its listed as "Water pump inlet pipe" Part # 1310A882. I've been looking on and off for about 2 years and i cant find one. I noticed the rust when i changed the alternator and i knew it would eventually fail. Not only is it expensive, the Mitsu dealer says there isn't a stocking dealer within 200 miles and they don't know when or even if they can get it. That's what led me to throw myself at the mercy of the forum hoping some kind soul has one laying around.

One idea may be to look up who has a used engine near you on car-part.com Call them, be up front and say what you're willing to pay for that part. Most wreckers don't remove parts from engines like that and will just say no they don't have, but you might find one that will. Look for a place that has more than one engine, they may be more willing to sell parts off an engine that's been sitting around for years.

Or maybe Loren or rktship has an old engine laying around?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dustyb (09-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyb View Post
    ...listed as "Water pump inlet pipe" Part # 1310A882.
    ...the Mitsu dealer says there isn't a stocking dealer within 200 miles and they don't know when or even if they can get it.
    Weird. I still can't find it on any of the usual Mitsubishi parts websites...even with the part number and description. I can't even find it in a parts diagram on any websites...but I can find it in the service manual.

I did find this image through a Google search...but it lead to a dead end.

Name:  water pump inlet pipe.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  78.6 KB

There's 1 on eBay...from a Mitsu dealer in the UAE!?! But even that one is still cheaper than your dealer is quoting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dustyb (09-03-2020)

Another option: just take off the pipe, sand, and epoxy coat it. Then it won't rust any more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Another option: just take off the pipe, sand, and epoxy coat it. Then it won't rust any more.
    Its too far gone for that. I'll post pics tonight. If i cant find one used i'll probably fab up a flange with a hose barb and just replace it with rubber hose somehow. None of the salvage places i called would separate one from a good engine and they didn't have any cores laying around.

That's weird. What's the correlation with Mitsu and Chrysler? I kept getting Chrysler part numbers when trying to locate an axle seal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Top_Fuel;115076]Weird. I still can't find it on any of the usual Mitsubishi parts websites...even with the part number and description. I can't even find it in a parts diagram on any websites...but I can find it in the service manual.

Well i guess that explains why the dealers i called don't think they can get one. Thanks for your help.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Chrysler parts are because they sold a rebadged Mirage G4 as the "Attitude" in Mexico.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-11-2021),Top_Fuel (09-03-2020)