Thread: Italy got an LPG version?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Italy got an LPG version?

Looks like Italy got an LPG model, the Mitsubishi Space Star 1.0 ClearTec GPL bi-fuel. In Italy GPL is their acronym for LPG. No idea why they also label it ''bi-fuel''? Don't know anything about it other than what I can find in a few random Italian used car websites.

Just thought you all might like to see it, that is all.

http://mitsubishi.rivergroup.it/usat...Bsuffisso%5D=1

https://www.vetrinamotori.it/mitsubi...sata-au7667F5/

Attachment 19174

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-04-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Looks like Italy got an LPG model, the Mitsubishi Space Star 1.0 ClearTec GPL bi-fuel. In Italy GPL is their acronym for LPG. No idea why they also label it ''bi-fuel''? Don't know anything about it other than what I can find in a few random Italian used car websites.
    Maybe the 1.0 engined Mirages, not the 1.2s, were the ones that could take different forms of 92 octane style fuel, like they recommend in my owner's manual. I only got the French copy handy in the house here, but I think my Mirage is good to drive all the way through Mexico and farther for sure because I know a guy who drives a Canadian motorcycle around the Americas. I'm no expert in this field. I have been to Mexico once and travelled around a bit, and the Sentra taxis are identical to my Mom's old Nissan Sentra, which I loved.

But I was behind a 2005 or so Altima the other day, and the "Altima 2.5 S" sticker was not on straight. So I am not sure about Nissan's quality to Mitsubishi's, even though plastic parts fall off my Mirage's interior randomly.

I think Steve got almost 500,000 km's (in miles) on his Mirage, so that is amazing stuff. Hope the same for mine at 138k.
    Last edited by dspace9; 09-04-2020 at 10:10 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    That car was converted to run on LPG and 95 ROZ fuel. It did not come like that new. LPG conversions are common in Italy because of the price difference.

The Mirage valve seats are not "hardened" variety as in FIAT, some KIA or Hyundai, they are what we call "soft valve seats". The problem is they don't withstand the higher combustion temperatures of LPG. The valve seats, especially the exhaust valves, will gradually burn away causing valve play to become too small. That lets them become even hotter and eventually you need a new expensive cylinder head.

If mine had decent valve seats, I would most certainly have converted it six years ago!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    That car was converted to run on LPG and 95 ROZ fuel. It did not come like that new. LPG conversions are common in Italy because of the price difference.

The Mirage valve seats are not "hardened" variety as in FIAT, some KIA or Hyundai, they are what we call "soft valve seats". The problem is they don't withstand the higher combustion temperatures of LPG. The valve seats, especially the exhaust valves, will gradually burn away causing valve play to become too small. That lets them become even hotter and eventually you need a new expensive cylinder head.

If mine had decent valve seats, I would most certainly have converted it six years ago!
    The Mitsubishi Italy website shows models like the ''Nuova Space Star 1.0 Invite bi-fuel GPL''. Using their car configurator, for fuel, you can select either ''Benzina'' or ''Benzina/GPL''. Mitsubishi Italy also says: (translated) .....''four different high-performance MIVEC engines (variable valve geometry) from 1.0 liters Petrol or Bifuel Petrol / LPG and 1.2 liters Petrol or Bifuel Petrol / LPG.''

I wonder if the dealers are doing the conversion and selling them as new. Either way, it looks like you can buy a new Space Star that can be filled with LPG (GPL). I have written Mitsubishi Italy and will report back.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-09-04 at 10.43.13 AM.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  55.1 KB

I also found an article online (https://www.patentati.it/listini-aut...pace-star.html) which talks about the 2020 Space Star -

Using google translate ''The performance of the 71 bhp Mitsubishi Space Star (also available with LPG) is modest: it is good for urban travel. The 82 bhp 1.2 is brighter''
    Last edited by gone.a; 09-04-2020 at 06:04 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-08-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I wonder if the dealers are doing the conversion and selling them as new. Either way, it looks like you can buy a new Space Star that can be filled with LPG (GPL). I have written Mitsubishi Italy and will report back.

'
    That must be new!
    When I asked Mitsubishi about LPG conversion, they said it would void waranty and the valves couldn't stand up to LPG.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I wonder how that impacts the driving range. Does gasoline & LPG double the range?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I wonder how that impacts the driving range. Does gasoline & LPG double the range?
    A typical donut shaped LPG tank replaces the spare tyre. Assuming the bottom of the trunk would stay as it it would be in a non-modified car, it would yield about 60% mileage of a tank of regular fuel. Additionally the regular fuel tank would remain and extend the range.

LPG is an easy and safe modification, providing the valve seats are of proper quality and the mechanic is experienced. LPG engines remain 100% clean inside without any carbon deposits, even after many years.

Last edited by foama; 09-05-2020 at 05:58 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-05-2020)